"its not a hobby its obsession
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomaniac45 View Post
ahh, see that makes sence.

but there is one thing i am missing.

a decent pic with your new retracts. as the pic above, they look great. but what about on the plane?

tony.
The pics above r FM's p51b retract I have them in the p51 and there great ....the ones I fitted to the spit r early type fms retract units they r geared slightly differently but the shell is near identical...the new metal p51 retracts above r the same size so theory says they will b a drop in fit and they are 6 second ones as a posed to the basic 3 second ones ...I had to take my trunnions out my stock dynam ones and fit them in the fms units to make them work but again a strait fit
Jeff
jiggz is online now Find More Posts by jiggz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2015, 05:21 PM
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
2,070 Posts
The p51b units r the same shell and workings as these new 6second ones I fitted to my hellcat they just have turn plates screwed to them and a twist trunion ..the far side stock retract on the cat is the ones I took out overhauled and fitted to the spit and I'm chuffed they work so well in the spit
Excuse the long talking this video was made for members of the hellcat thread to explain how I converted the corsair units
FMS 1400 hellcat upgraded retract tutorial (4 min 7 sec)
Old Mar 10, 2015, 05:19 AM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
697 Posts
Wow. Fabric. there are a few problems with that one.

I have never seen a bad dynam before.

- the canopy glass has been cut too short (there should be concave ridges both ends and there is not on yours)
- The fuse should be cut straight, not angled, so it is the fuse itself that is wrong.
- the elevators do have a weak point on the corner, but i have not done anything to mine, and they have not cracked at all, or bent out of shape
- the servo looks like it is the internal positional sensors. I have flown alot worse, but for a new model, that is unacceptable,
- the retracts are a bit flimsy, and a hard landing will knock them backwards.

To me, it looks like you got a box that should have been rejected. as i have never seen a dynam in bad shape out of the box.

I would insist on a replacment unit, pack it all away, and get a new Dynam Spitfire.

@jiggz, see, i though you had the fancy spring struts installed. i got my hopes up then. but i see you have just replaced the gearbox unit itself

Tony.
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FT whos building what then?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 03:04 PM
Fixed and rotary wing flyer
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2011
185 Posts
Thanks, Tony. The customer service agent I contacted is refusing to RMA the plane claiming Dynam is not really a high quality product compared to FMS, etc and it's much cheaper, and that they were already offering to replace the servo and horizontal stab.

I'm really frustrated with the level of customer service this supposedly great retailer (and sponsor) has provided. This is my 1st time ordering from them and will be my last if they don't address this.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've ordered several times from Tower Hobbies and when an issue is encountered, they send a replacement immediately. (2 Seawind EP's I ordered were bad and they sent out new ones ASAP). Just last week, I ordered 2 boats from scratch-n-dent. One was the wrong color so they sent another one and told me to just keep what I got since it was a shipping error. Now THAT' is customer service!!!!!

If this retailer is not willing to stand behind Dynam products, perhaps they should put a disclaimer on their Dynam product pages stating something like "Dynam products aren't that great to begin with because they're cheaper so if your plane has defects, you may be stuck with it as-is."

I'm likely going to escalate this up. I'm not happy.
fabric8 is offline Find More Posts by fabric8
Old Mar 11, 2015, 05:41 PM
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
2,070 Posts
CML Distribution are my local customs service dept who distribute dynam ...I have found they are great every prob I have had with fms and dynam have been dealt with very quickly and profesional
Jeff
Old Mar 18, 2015, 04:53 PM
Fixed and rotary wing flyer
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2011
185 Posts
my spitfire maidened today

Despite the flaws on my kit, I maidened her today and flew 3 packs. It sure looks great - especially flying with the wheels up. I had to add some slight up trim, because the nose kept wanting to climb. Other than that, it flew smooth and very scale-like.

Is there a replacement prop that's a direct fit for this plane and spinner? My kit came with 2 props, but one is defective. One blade is curved like a banana, and I'd like to have a spare.
fabric8 is offline Find More Posts by fabric8
Old Mar 24, 2015, 01:19 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
697 Posts
she really is a beauty to fly

but i believe you may be able to get replacments from Hobby King, or simular. any 3 bade prop with the numbers stamped on the blade will work exactly the same, (not sure what it is atm)

ive been distracted by a few other builds, like the flite test storch, ft-22 and the ft-versa. my first flying wing

but it is nice to be able to take a few planes to the field and have a pic the spit will get back out soon, but for now she is hangered up waiting for more suitable weather.
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FT whos building what then?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 05:59 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,528 Posts
Hobbyking sell the MAS 3 blade props that are a direct replacement from memory 11x7x3.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose