HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:20 PM
Joined Aug 2004
19 Posts
Multiplex Twinstar- Slight Upgrade?

Hi All,

I've almost ready the two massive threads on the Twinstar, and to say i'm confused is an understatement! Here's two things i'm trying to find out which i hope you experianced modellers can help me with-

1) Are the twinstars spoilerons/flaperons supposed to raise or lower? Mine lowers which would make them flaperons? But in the large thread someone mentioned theirs raised and i'm wondering if my setup is correct.

2) What would you recommend for a change in the props, currently i'm running the standard 400 motors, 9.6v 8 cell sub c NiMh battery packs, gunter props, and i'd like a bit more kick. May be using the twinstar for some very light aerotowing soon. (Only a small glider)

Thanks for any and all help

Matt
streetdragster is offline Find More Posts by streetdragster
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2005, 07:37 AM
Tell that to George Zipp!
United States, IL, Inverness
Joined Oct 2000
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragster
Hi All,

I've almost ready the two massive threads on the Twinstar, and to say i'm confused is an understatement! Here's two things i'm trying to find out which i hope you experianced modellers can help me with-

1) Are the twinstars spoilerons/flaperons supposed to raise or lower? Mine lowers which would make them flaperons? But in the large thread someone mentioned theirs raised and i'm wondering if my setup is correct.

2) What would you recommend for a change in the props, currently i'm running the standard 400 motors, 9.6v 8 cell sub c NiMh battery packs, gunter props, and i'd like a bit more kick. May be using the twinstar for some very light aerotowing soon. (Only a small glider)

Thanks for any and all help

Matt
I don't think it is "supposed" to have spoilerons or flaperons. If you have a 6 channel radio and RX, you can do either. I don't think you need spoilerons(brakes) but flaperons will help it fly a little slower on landing.

I think gearboxes would be a good upgrade. Get a pair of 3:1 gearboxes and 9X6 SF props. It will climb much better, use less juice and be the only choice for towing.
mikeb33 is offline Find More Posts by mikeb33
Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:58 AM
Joined Aug 2004
19 Posts
Thanks very much mate, thats a big help!

Thanks

Matt
Old Feb 13, 2005, 05:13 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,119 Posts
I second what mikeb33 says. I just upgraded to Speed 480s with 3:1 gearboxes and 10x6 props, and I used the plug-in undercarriage that you probably saw in the other threads. Flies great.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 13, 2005, 05:42 AM
Joined Aug 2004
19 Posts
Thanks very much!

Its a great model so far on the stock stuff, can't wait until it got 480's in.

Matt
Old Feb 13, 2005, 06:28 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,010 Posts
I would caution against using flapperons (drooped ailerons) as these may well case tip-stalling. Spoilerons (raised ailerons) might be useful on landing as the TS is quite 'floaty', but it's not that bad when you get used to it. Fun to play with, but not essential.

With the stock motors direct drive on 8 cells the Gunther props are actually pretty hard to beat. I flight-tested a big range of alternatives, and the only ones that gave a slight improvement were expensive - 2 blade VarioProps (6" diameter, set to about 3.5" pitch).

Gearing and bigger props will typically give you more thrust and a little less speed, but if you get the setup wrong you can easily end up with a plane that flies worse than stock! You have the same basic amount of power, you're just using it in a different way (actually you have a little less power as there are always some losses in the gearboxes). So copy a setup that somebody else has flown and is happy with, at least to start off.

Using can 480s (Permax or similar) direct drive would probably be the quickest / easiest / cheapest way to get a slight boost in performance and efficiency.
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:34 AM
Spent too much already..
East Yorkshire, England
Joined May 2001
210 Posts
I have towed with my long-suffering Twinstar, stock motors and props, 8 x 2000 sub-C nicads. On this setup it takes 26 amps static, and will tow a hand launch size glider. I've tried slightly heavier gliders, a middle sized 24 ounce and a 2metre, couldn't get the combo up to speed from launch, and almost had a glider on my neck
JJfromUK is offline Find More Posts by JJfromUK
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:27 AM
Joined Aug 2004
19 Posts
Thanks for all your replies everyone, i think i'll try it in stock form and if its not powerful enough i'll detach from the glider and land and then upgrade!

Thanks

Matt
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:31 PM
4 Point Landing
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Sep 2001
475 Posts
Bill, what gearbox combo are you using? Do you prefer the inline or a dropdown version and what prop? Just 2 simple Q's You are the Guru of the TS .... or so I have been told.

Fred
fred420 is offline Find More Posts by fred420
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:53 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,010 Posts
I am using Graupner inline gearboxes, 4:1 with APC-E 11x8.5 props. This gives more static thrust than direct drive, but a bit less pitch speed. With the ESC brake off the big props freewheel when you cut the throttle ... they act like airbrakes, and you can make a nice steep 'STOL' landing approach

I prefer inline boxes as they give a neat/tidy/simple installation and they are usually quieter and more rugged than the external 'frame' type. Against that of course they are more expensive!

I was a bit disappointed to find that the Graupner 4:1 boxes weren't ballraced and aren't particularly quiet. I have their 2.8:1 S600 gearbox, which is an absolute gem, fully ballraced and very smooth and quiet.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:35 PM
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
Try 2 mega 16/15/4's, apc 6x4 prop and a TP 3s3p pack.

It screems.

John
jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:43 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,010 Posts
I have a brushless Projeti for 'screaming'

I did actually look at Mega 16/25 series motors turning bigger props direct drive, but with two brushless ECSs needed it's an awful lot of money to throw at a plane that basically flies pretty well as it is.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:02 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
I have a brushless Projeti for 'screaming'

I did actually look at Mega 16/25 series motors turning bigger props direct drive, but with two brushless ECSs needed it's an awful lot of money to throw at a plane that basically flies pretty well as it is.
You'd actually only need one ESC...and you'd have the advantage that both motors would spin at exactly the same rpm. This would eliminate a lot of noise.

But, like you say, they fly so well stock. Mine has flown hundreds of flights, has taught two people to fly, has found a lost model using it for aerial photography, has been smashed to pieces twice...and still uses the original motors. I'm amazed how good these can motors are.

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:18 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale
You'd actually only need one ESC
I'm pretty sure this isn't universally true, although it does work for some specific setups (e.g. the Kontronik Twin Drive set). I think most manufacturers say you need two ESCs to get both motors starting reliably in the same direction.

Of course with two ESCs and a computer TX you are able to set up assymetric throttle to rudder mixing for lots of fun at low speed!