HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2013, 04:13 AM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
700 Posts
Discussion
VERSA(tile) WING by Flitetest dedicated thread

So lad(ie)s and gentlemen, it's been some time since Josh Bixler uploaded a "how to" build video, and obviously Versa Wing has won some hearts.

There have been several threads though, presented as a build log or as a question about setup:However there is no VW dedicated thread.
With time it might get tiring to dig for Versa-related information in multiple threads, so let us try to aggregate everything about Versa here, simply for convenience.
Versa clearly deserves one, so here it is.
Cathay Stray is offline Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2013, 04:14 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
700 Posts
I built my Versa from whatever is called KT-board in my part of the world, it looks like foamboard covered by thick waxed paper. Paper makes up for 90 or so % weight of the board but it also gives it rigidity and strength, so I kept the board papered wherever possible for the sake of durability.
I followed Josh as closely as I could but there are a few differences of course.
Like, I fixed my servos vertically so that they can be replaced in future (I had a few plastic gear servos around and I thought this project is a chance to give them a job).
Also, I used standard 2.2 Ah batt, which wasn't thin enough to fit into the wing - hence I made some sort of (don't even know what to call it) thing on the wing's belly to keep the batt in place and protect it in crashes.
Also, the weirdest-looking are of course the wire springs that make the wing look like some monstrous insect on 4 legs This is not the most elegant belly protection but it works in place where I fly.
Winglets are not rounded, but this is merely cosmetic difference.

I powered the Versa with a pretty weak and slow SunnySky 2208 motor 1200 KV, anda no name ESC probably capable of supplying something like 20 or 25 A. It swings a wannabe-APC prop 8x6.

Total AUW is nearly 850 g, which to me is very very heavy given the size of the wing. This weight includes about 80 g of steel chain poured into the tip of the nose and poured over with hot glue.
I really hate the idea of carrying dead weight but I guess this is the price we have to pay for versatility.

Maidened it today over a construction site.

On a weak motor I had to give her nearly full gas.
First I threw her frisbee-style and she sort of wanted to fly off, but perhaps the angle was not steep enough.
Second throw was at about 45 degrees and as strong as I could manage, with full throttle.
She reluctantly flew off but as she gained some speed, things went a lot better.
I set the elevator in exactly the way Josh taught me but that was way way way too much, and I had to reduce the reflex to nearly none because otherwise the plane climbed too fast and I had to constantly push the stick forward to level her flight.
She flies well on 1/3 throttle and even climb, which really surprised me because honestly I thought she would not fly at all with this motor.
She glides as a dream, that's true, she glides forever and can go real slow. I didn't have a target to stall her on a maiden flight but I did fly way too slow to be safe, and she handled it just fine.
She is very sensitive on the sticks, and it is a Very with a big capital letter.
She will need mechanical trimming (reducing the reflex).
She yaws a lot, a lot. She yaws. A lot. - but I believe this is because I sort of overreact on the sticks. Will play with DR and expos later. She does NOT yaw when I am not trying to make her fly where I want though
She made a couple of attempts to crack the planet Earth open with her nose which resulted in... nothing at all, not even a wrinkle on the nose. Probably the steel chain and all that hot glue made the nose indestructible.

All in all, I am happy with her. I will perhaps build one more and use some FPV gear instead of dead weight.
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Sep 25, 2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 04:16 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
700 Posts
Resources:

General information
Build log
Tractor -> Pusher conversion
Plans (tiled)
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Sep 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 09:52 PM
RC Fan
Eau Claire, WI
Joined Mar 2009
27 Posts
Really cool stuff! I'm just finishing up my build, I'm hoping to get it's first flight in this week.
Fiannawolf is offline Find More Posts by Fiannawolf
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:25 PM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiannawolf View Post
finishing up my build
Don't forget to tell how you managed the CG - deadweight or whatever.
This is the worst thing about this wing - wasting the battery on just dragging steel.
I even thought about cutting out part of the wing to move the motor farther forward but that might result in airfoil distortion, so I left it as it was.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 04:53 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
700 Posts
Versa and The Wind, Impressions of Day 2

Wow... Flying Versa in the wind is something of a rodeo.
Just back from the field.
Something really has to be done to the reflex: going into the wind the wing keeps climbing even with mechanically trimmed elevator + full down trim on the radio. Reducing speed helps but only a little, plus reduces stability a lot. That becomes funny as controlling her from the radio becomes much like trying to catch a hat carried away by the wind. Good drill for an extreme flying fan but pretty tiring in fact.

Lowering the elevator more would make no sense as there will be simply zero or slightly negative reflex.

Errrrr....
Old Sep 26, 2013, 06:24 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
2,943 Posts
Errrr both flights mentioned climbing under power.Maybe thrust line?
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Sep 26, 2013, 07:10 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
climbing under power.Maybe thrust line?
She also climbs when gliding. Not so aggressively of course but still. If I didn't force her down she would get vertical and stall (actually she did once but I pulled her out; she didn't screw into a spiral).
Seems she has something defeating gravity
Thrust line, yes I thought so, but -
1 - you can see my motor mount, it is exactly parallel the belly;
2 - the bitc Lady of the Skies keeps on climbing on low gas and on no gas at all. I wrote "Reducing speed helps but only a little" but perhaps I didn't articulate it enough: she still climbs.
Well, if weather allows I will play with her tmrw as well. Trimmed into zero reflex, huhhh.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 04:26 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2013
117 Posts
Other thing to check would be CG. Is it possible that she is tail heavy? Might want to move the battery slightly forward or may be add some weight in the nose.
elewon is offline Find More Posts by elewon
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:59 PM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewon View Post
Other thing to check would be CG. Is it possible that she is tail heavy? Might want to move the battery slightly forward or may be add some weight in the nose.
There of course might be some room for CG improvement but otherwise I think she is properly CGd. She is all in all obedient and doesn't give much trouble. In fact I still have her in one piece.
I will play more with reflexes today, and possibly poke around for a comfortable speed envelope.
See, another thing is that the 2208 1200 KV motor is not exactly a motor of choice, so I might be giving too much or too little not being confident about it.

I think, if she was wrongly CGd, she would already be done - yesterday was a really windy day - and if she is not, it can only mean human factor and imperfect power setup.
I will work on it. Stay tuned.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 01:30 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewon View Post
check CG. she is tail heavy.
I think you might be right.
It was quite windy, I think usage of the word stormy could be justified for today's weather, and I grabbed the last 40 mins before it started raining.
She had 3 coins of 1 Hong Kong dollar + 1 50 cent coin taped to the tip of her nose and I sort of felt it helped a bit (or, am I just getting used to her? - but anyway she didn't need all that down trim). Will try 1 or 2 more HK bucks after the storm is over.
BTW, flying into the stormy wind under low dark swollen sky was a Big Wow.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 05:39 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
700 Posts
YESSSSSSS!!!!!
Finally, we understood each other, me and Versa.
She really needed some cash, and she got it: 2 coins x 2 Hong Kong dollars, 3 x 1 HKD, and 2 x 50 c. So all my attempts to go lite failed, and she took up the full weight of a GoPro.
Her designers were a few months behind the time unfortunately, as the days of GoPro as the only HD FPV camera are on the countdown, but anyway, to fly well she needs either a GoPro, or its deadweight equivalent.

With all this she flew really well, very predictable, stable, easy to trim. I can say she has some agility but it's hard to say how much on a weak motor I am using. However she can climb at pretty aggressive rate even on my setup, loops, rolls and some bird chasing no problem, the only problem is to land her because she glides for eternity.

With Kilrah's extremely fast and efficient help I made her take off with 25 % elevator up (on a 2-position switch), but if you do the same please be ready to switch it off as soon as she is 10 m high, otherwise she will go vert.
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Oct 01, 2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:57 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
370 Posts
I'm taking notes. I have the pieces cut out and am building a wing to look at. The only other scratchbuild wing I have I put the motor on the center line with a stick mount , and that's what I was going to do with this one. Do you think the motor should be on top to counter the vertical with some down thrust? I'm going to move the servos farther forward on mine and use longer control rods, not ideal but I'd rather do that than add more nose weight.
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Oct 01, 2013, 10:26 PM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
Do you think the motor should be on top to counter the vertical with some down thrust?
I'm going to move the servos farther forward on mine and use longer control rods, not ideal but I'd rather do that than add more nose weight.
I used the motor mount you can see in the picture, I believe it is the same type you're going to have (stick mount)? I didn't take any thrust line measurements or whatever alike; I think the motor vector is close enough to ideal without adjustment.
Servos to the front is a good idea, but longer rods means thicker rods, and thicker rods means heavier rods, all this weight behind the CG line. Yes it is only 1 gram or so, but on a long lever shoulder. One gram on a long shoulder in the back will ask for 5 grams compensation in the nose. But I really don't think there is anything to be paranoid about, 5 or 10 g give or take is nothing for Versa, so I would guess wherever you position your servos would be OK as long as the rods don't bend. (to prevent them from bending you can use coffee stirrers as Josh suggested; you don't even have to glue them onto the wing surface, just slide them on and you will get some extra rigidity; a drop of epoxy inside the stirrer will give you another little bit of extra rigidity, but these little "extra rigidities" are palliatives, of course. they might be OK for marginal situations but will not buy you out if the rods are really too thin and bend like rainbows).

Mark
Old Oct 02, 2013, 05:50 AM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
370 Posts
I saw the picture of your stick mount. All I did to mine was cut out a notch big enough for the bell of the motor and turn it over so the stick is on top but the offset of the motor is down. I'm using some sleeved music wire for control rods
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow