http://binged.it/1691iLI
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2013, 07:09 PM
Westerly Windina
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,047 Posts
Weird. When I clicked the link it just showed me the old hay bales on the backside near the pilot's barricade. Then when I zoomed out a bit it was a different picture and I could see what you were talking about.
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Aug 16, 2013, 07:24 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle View Post
Weird. When I clicked the link it just showed me the old hay bales on the backside near the pilot's barricade. Then when I zoomed out a bit it was a different picture and I could see what you were talking about.
Yeah, it appears the the photo aligned to the north is older then the other 3 directions.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Sep 22, 2013, 02:09 AM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,000 Posts
DS Catch net at Goodsprings,NV - success!

Here is a video of Bruce landing his Destiny in a catch net I made for landing in rocky terrain. I've landed my D60 in the net as well this past spring at Weldon; it was much easier to land in Weldon than here in Goodsprings. The frame work is too weak for moving it around to find a ideal set up spot; several of the supports broke. I might replace the frame with steel corner posts and use the eight sand bags to pull the net tight. Progress!
DS Goodsprings Bruce lands Destiny in Catch Net (2 min 12 sec)
LVSloper is offline Find More Posts by LVSloper
Last edited by LVSloper; Sep 22, 2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 03:15 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,371 Posts
Good work Mike!
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
Nice work guys! Funny how what seemed like a huge landing net looks alot smaller when its surrounded by rocks...

I imagine it would be plenty big for a site and conditions that would allow a hover down type landing approach.

Sure would like to try it at BSP!
sll914 is online now Find More Posts by sll914
Old Sep 22, 2013, 01:26 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,000 Posts
The net according to Bruce seems to be a little small; he would like to see one 50x50 or bigger. I think it would be nice to have a 20x40 provided you had enough help to carry and set up. We had to carry eight 50lbs. sand bags more than forty yards up hill; plus the frame work and netting. We were trying to land JWs in a tight area with no flaps with no real room to make a good approach. This made it very tough to hit the net with the planks; well; pretty much impossible.

We did move the net more towards the front of the ridge and to the south which really caused us to have an even tighter 180 kick turn while trying to come back up the front side all the while trying to kill your airspeed. The net probably would have worked much better had we moved it north from its original set up location as scene in the video.

I believe, Bruce is working on a net for BSP; maybe I'll make a trip up to BSP with my net set up after replacing the frame work. I might try out individual steel posts on the corners with the sand bags attached by guide ropes to pull the net tight. Another possibility is fiberglass whip style rods used for camping tents or the rods used to support banners at golf courses and business fronts.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 01:27 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Good work Mike!
Thanks Alex, maybe we will have a good catch net system completed by the next time you make the trip back over again.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:11 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,371 Posts
Na I'll just catch it
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member