HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:34 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,274 Posts
John, its hanging on the wall still half finished, will get it done after the Mig which should be ready very soon This is tonight and yesterdays work
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:02 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
She is shaping up nicely Ace. You are learning to sand off the stuff that doesn't look like an airplane! Keep up the good work.

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:01 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,274 Posts
Thanks John, its interesting to see a block turn into a canopy, i really wanted to build this one right and i appreciate your comments, it definitely helps keep me motivated . I drew in a rudder and may add them for slow rolls.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:10 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,274 Posts
Goin to town on this build in a few minutes. Most likely going to paint her in the Russian star aero scheme

I'm going to use the stock as3x servos since i couldn't get the hk digis yet, will just cover the cut outs for now
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:26 PM
just go fly...
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Dec 2012
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
Short story, NO.

This system has been dead reliable for me on 2s. Half the gear I have in this bird had well over 100 flights on it before I gutted my first MiG15. There has been almost no reports of power system failure on 2s. The guys who have tried 3s have reported many motor and electronics failures. I will take reliable.

Dr John
i concur, 2S at this scale is way more reliable than 3S. 3S pushes things over 100k RPM and things just start to fail.
fluxnstuff is offline Find More Posts by fluxnstuff
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:01 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,319 Posts
Folks, I have some sad news. John Passed away at 6:30 am this morning from cancer. His health had rapidly declined lately, no one knew he had cancer until it was too late. He was a good friend and will be missed greatly.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:21 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,585 Posts
Whoa...
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:23 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,386 Posts
Oh no!

Prayers...
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:37 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,274 Posts
Damn sad news, i had no inkly that he had cancer, we just had a great conversation at Fits earlier this year, such a shame, he was a great guy and a true friend . I will finish the Mig 29 in his memory
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,319 Posts
We are all in shock. His decline was so rapid, one day he was over to the house and we were flying, then in the hospital, transferred to the VA and gone within two weeks.

I'm taking Sampson and Athena (his Dobies) to my parents house who will care for them, not sure of what arrangements are being made. It's a bit of a mess.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:22 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
We are all in shock. His decline was so rapid, one day he was over to the house and we were flying, then in the hospital, transferred to the VA and gone within two weeks.

I'm taking Sampson and Athena (his Dobies) to my parents house who will care for them, not sure of what arrangements are being made. It's a bit of a mess.
I did not know John but like alot of us he built planes . We builders are getting fewer and fewer every year and a another passing of a builder is always sad. My prayers go out to his family but i'am also happy his pets are going to be taken good care of, thanks Joe for taking care of his pets .I just rescued a pet that this same thing happened to but they were going to put the little rascle to sleep . joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jun 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 08:25 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,619 Posts
Sad news indeed. I made the trip to FITS just to hang out with him and see his Mig.
Even met his dogs this time. They were very friendly and Athena took a liking to my grandson . He patted her on the head then she wouldn't leave him alone. It was kind of comical, this big dog poking her head in his lap, pet me, pet me!
Even bought a jumping bean kit from him while I was there.
Dang... We'll miss you John!
Condolences to his family.
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Sad news indeed. I made the trip to FITS just to hang out with him and see his Mig.
Even met his dogs this time. They were very friendly and Athena took a liking to my grandson . He patted her on the head then she wouldn't leave him alone. It was kind of comical, this big dog poking her head in his lap, pet me, pet me!
Even bought a jumping bean kit from him while I was there.
Dang... We'll miss you John!
Condolences to his family.
Glenn
Taking them to my parents didn't work out. We made the trip, they were outstanding travel dogs, but once we got there it was evident that they were getting a little too old and I just decided to bring them home. John spent lots of time at my house anyways, I'll miss thanksgiving dinner at our house with him and my parents chatting about all the political crap that I tend to stay out of.

Athena has been a bit sad, both will be getting lots of love from us and lots of attention from my son when he returns from summer vacation with his mother. He hasn't seen them yet. John wasn't dumb. He knew that I had a Rottie years ago and once he passed, I never could bring myself to get another one. What I didn't realize until after the fact, John was getting the dogs accustomed to me and in turn, I was getting to know them. His "kids" were his biggest concern in the last month, it seemed like nobody could adopt them. I couldn't let anything happen so in the end, the are where John really wanted them to be. Athena has latched on to me and won't leave my side, Sampson has 'adopted" my wife. LOL.

When John and I had what was to be our last conversation on Monday, He didn't want the results of his efforts to die, he knew that nobody in his family had any interest in his work, he asked me to make sure. I promised him that I would preserve what he had done. I already have many of the CAD plans on my hard drive, I should be able to get all the rest. John's laser had been getting a little problematic lately, I opted not to let him give that to me. It's going to a nephew up north who is familiar with using that machine and it will be added to his business. Once everything gets situated, I will be on the hunt for the right laser cutter for the shop. Dr. John's laser designs will not die off. There will be just be a hiatus while everything gets sorted out. The name will not change, it's John's legacy.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:08 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
When John and I had what was to be our last conversation on Monday, He didn't want the results of his efforts to die, he knew that nobody in his family had any interest in his work, he asked me to make sure. I promised him that I would preserve what he had done. I already have many of the CAD plans on my hard drive, I should be able to get all the rest. John's laser had been getting a little problematic lately, I opted not to let him give that to me. It's going to a nephew up north who is familiar with using that machine and it will be added to his business. Once everything gets situated, I will be on the hunt for the right laser cutter for the shop. Dr. John's laser designs will not die off. There will be just be a hiatus while everything gets sorted out. The name will not change, it's John's legacy.
I'm actually rather glad you said that: I had been wanting to buy one of his UM-sized 3D planes when the money came in. I was disappointed that I wouldn't get that chance (not to minimize, of course, the loss to his family and friends!).

The point is, John had some great designs and clearly loved his hobby, and I'm happy to see that his work will not simply pass with him.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:00 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,619 Posts
Glad to hear his 'kids' are going to a good home and his kits will live on too!
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis