HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb View Post
I believe you are correct. Several engines of that era look quite similar. Here is the AME Zeus. It uses a standard plug, has no muffler, uses a fine needle, and has an .049 displacement:
Attached is my Norvel AME .049 CL with Norvel 0.5 oz. CL tank. It has a different the same side logo than as the Zeus, came with a button head and lacks the plastic intake extension.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Last edited by OkiThumper; Oct 05, 2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Corrected logic error.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Thump: What are the differences between your engine and a NV AMD 049 CL? The NV AMD crankcase looks like a double BB. What kind of bearing (s) are in yours, or in this variation? What kind of glow plugs/heads are best, what comes stock? What is the port timing and what are the very best propellers for this engine? I want a needle valve that is low enough to not break or bend when I land inverted ( I fly on grass) Thanks for any help! Hmm, must be a way to mount a light remote needle valve.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Oct 05, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:03 PM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
122 Posts
Here are my first NORVELs. They are Big Migs, one .049, the other .061. They have straight back mufflers, a different fine needle valve, and came with the old glow heads plus adapters and the (then new) Freedom glow heads.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Here are my first NORVELs. They are Big Migs, one .049, the other .061. They have straight back mufflers, a different fine needle valve, and came with the old glow heads plus adapters and the (then new) Freedom glow heads.

George
"old glow heads", "adapters", "Freedom glow heads"?

OK. I presuming that this latest variation, the NV AMD 049 CL is just the latest improvement in an excellent engine thats been around for a long time. What are the differences among the several variations?
Last edited by tigreflyer; Oct 05, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:25 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
Thump: What are the differences between your engine and a NV AMD 049 CL? The NV AMD crankcase looks like a double BB. What kind of bearing (s) are in yours, or in this variation? What kind of glow plugs/heads are best, what comes stock? What is the port timing and what are the very best propellers for this engine? I want a needle valve that is low enough to not break or bend when I land inverted ( I fly on grass) Thanks for any help! Hmm, must be a way to mount a light remote needle valve.
tigreflyer, those are questions that are beyond my practical knowledge. Most of my 1/2-A experiences are with the Cox .049 reedies and some McCoy/Wen Mac .049 engines. That AME is the only one I have.

Those who have a tremendous wealth of experience with the Half-A engines can be found in the Yahoo Group, 049Collectors moderated by Mark Boesen. He and the others have a tremendous wealth of knowledge on all Half-A's around the world, including Larry Renger, a Cox guru. If I were you, I'd join that group and ask them the questions. They'll steer you in the right direction and give you all sorts of good advice.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
... and I wanted to add, they will also answer questions on other size 1/2-A engines, not just the .049's. They helped to answer my questions on the Cox .074 Queen Bee.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,350 Posts
I can tell you this much, the glow plugs Bernie sells at coxengines.ca fit the Norvel as well as his clamp rings if you need an extra.. Those are good plugs, in my experience.
http://coxengines.ca/insert-for-.049...edium-hot.html

In a pinch, any old Cox .049 head, as well as a Nelson head/galbreath plug fits and runs well on a Norvel. It just looks funny. TD Hi comp would, of course be best. If you don't get a starter spring, it's a lot easier to get cranked for its first run-in with a Babe Bee head too.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Last edited by RknRusty; Oct 05, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:24 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,632 Posts
Best of my knowledge Norvel or AME engines were Never fitted with ball bearings in the 1/2 a sizes at least.
Early motors with the bathtub venturi (as in photo above) Only ran on bladder pressure. Wayyy too big a hole for suction fuel draw.
Have No idea what it's doing on the quickstart plastic fuel tank.. it won't work :-)
COX international's Norvel type plugs are merlin plugs. Notably cheaper from Merlin. Note that the Head clamp (free with the $15 price of 3 plugs at Merlin) Does not fit the merlin plug overly well. Hole is too big, certainly so when compared to the adequate plug/clamp fit of the Russian bits as reference. Still works OK, but a bit disheartening.
Dunno what bit of specifcation /order bungle that represents.. not impressive though.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,446 Posts
Quote:

George
These are what I have and they are great little engines. They seem to get better fuel economy than the Cox engines.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
What in the world does a "clamp ring" do?
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:29 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Best of my knowledge Norvel or AME engines were Never fitted with ball bearings in the 1/2 a sizes at least. Early motors with the bathtub venturi (as in photo above) Only ran on bladder pressure. Wayyy too big a hole for suction fuel draw. Have No idea what it's doing on the quickstart plastic fuel tank.. it won't work :-)
Bare, I bought that AME engine some time back, sometime in the 1990's. It was on sale, don't recall the details; may have been a sale with Sig Mfg. It is basically an engine I had no use for, being a sport flyer. How it gained the Norvel CL tank is simple. The Norvel tank uses the same bolt pattern as the Cox reed valves with integral tank. I used it as a filler engine for display on aircraft without a half-A engine.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:32 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
What in the world does a "clamp ring" do?
I think Bare is referring to 2 piece glow heads; the clamp ring is the glow head portion with cooling fins that holds/clamps the replaceable glow element button in place.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post
I think Bare is referring to 2 piece glow heads; the clamp ring is the glow head portion with cooling fins that holds/clamps the replaceable glow element button in place.
Right, you just set the plug in place on top of the cylinder and shims and screw the head(clamp) down over it. This is the way Norvel heads are made as well as the replacements mentioned above.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Just thinking, nvengines.com has a standard glow plug button adapter for that 2 piece head for only $4.25.

http://www.nvengines.com/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=65

I have a good stash of Swanson Associates standard (without idle bar) glow plugs (bought for a song a few years back on E-Bay - guess someone didn't have a use for them ), I can retain the larger cooling fin "clamp" for the Big Mig Revlite .061 and use this adapter without spoiling the appearance.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I thought a Cox glow head would fit on a Norvel .049 cylinder. Perhaps it will. Will a Cox .049 glow head fit a Norvel .061 cylinder?