Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,516 Posts
Discussion
Romney advisers think Obama will win the first debate

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ons/?hpt=hp_t1

I was laughed at when I posted Obama was one of the most gifted political speakers of our time and will crush Romney in the debate. Looks like at least one of your own agrees with me.

Washington (CNN) – If it wasn't already clear that Mitt Romney and his allies are trying to lower expectations heading into next Wednesday's debate against President Obama in Denver, the campaign is now making it official.

In a memo about the debates distributed to campaign surrogates and provided to CNN on Thursday, longtime Romney adviser Beth Myers outlines a series of reasons why the president is likely to emerge as the winner of the first debate.

Among them:

– President Obama is "widely regarded as one of the most talented political communicators in modern history."

Myers argues that Obama will "use his ample rhetorical gifts and debating experience to one end: attacking Mitt Romney."
Pushing back against emerging conventional wisdom, Myers concludes that the debates will not, in fact, decide the election: "It will be decided by the American people," she says.

================================================== ================================================
Love that last caveat. Hope your expectations have been successfully lowered.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:58 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Joined Feb 2005
1,847 Posts
I have not heard anything from Romney - nor Paul that compares to Obama's ability when public speaking.

Mitt flounders and waffles - Paul goes off on a rant and misses the point entirely!
ENGINETORQUE is online now Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
416 Posts
It is a common practice to lower expectations before an event. It's a very smart thing to do. If the bar is set high it is harder to exceed expectations. If you set the bar low then you can easily exceed expecations. It's clear which is the right path to take.

If you set the expectation that Obama will win then it is easy for Romney to come out on top.

Smart play by the Romney campaign. It seems that you and others are taking the bait hook, line & sinker.

RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Feb 2005
1,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
It is a common practice to lower expectations before an event. It's a very smart thing to do. If the bar is set high it is harder to exceed expectations. If you set the bar low then you can easily exceed expecations. It's clear which is the right path to take.

If you set the expectation that Obama will win then it is easy for Romney to come out on top.

Smart play by the Romney campaign. It seems that you and others are taking the bait hook, line & sinker.

That's very disengenuous - I don't believe you truly think that - do you
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:01 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
I have not heard anything from Romney - nor Paul that compares to Obama's ability when public speaking.

Mitt flounders and waffles - Paul goes off on a rant and misses the point entirely!
I was laughed at by Cons here when i said that Obama was a gifted speaker. They said he's only good with a teleprompter. Looks like at least one adviser from the RR campaign disagrees with their base.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,516 Posts
BS. Nice attempt to back track for the Cons that have said Romney will beat Obama in the debates and laughed at the idea that Obama was a gifted public speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post

Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Feb 2005
1,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
I was laughed at by Cons here when i said that Obama was a gifted speaker. They said he's only good with a teleprompter. Looks like at least one adviser from the RR campaign disagrees with their base.
The teleprompter spits are vitriolic B/S from a disgruntled right wing collective!

The teleprompter - as championed by Megyn Kelly - Jay Leno - Oprah - WHOEVER!

It's called 'professional preparedness' and to suggest some sort of shortfall in using it is manifest borders on the hysterical!

Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:05 AM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
I do, why not? It makes perfect sense. Romney is actually a very good debater. What Obama possesses that Romney doesn't his the ability to lie with a staight face day in, day out.
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:07 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winndaddy View Post
I do, why not? It makes perfect sense.....
Why? Just read some of the post from Cons here about how Obama sucks as a gifted speaker and how Romney will tear it up at the debates. This backtracking by Cons in the RR campaign and now HERE on this very board is laughable.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Feb 2005
1,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winndaddy View Post
I do, why not? It makes perfect sense.....
No - it really doesn't

It's akin to watching Usain Bolt give his opponents a two second start in the hundred metres!

Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
416 Posts
Quote:
It's absolutely true. Setting the bar low is a very smart play and pretty common. In reality Romney has far more experience debating than Obama does. That will come in handy since debating is a skill. Everyone knows Obama is a great speaker so the expectations for him are high. What would Romney gain by setting any high expectations?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
Don't report me bro!
Joined May 2010
387 Posts
Quote:
You were laughed at by the cons? Do you mean neocons? Love that word.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
416 Posts
Quote:
BS. Nice attempt to back track for the Cons that have said Romney will beat Obama in the debates and laughed at the idea that Obama was a gifted public speaker.
Not BS at all. It's a smart move. The lower Romney has expectations set the better.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
Don't report me bro!
Joined May 2010
387 Posts
Obama Drunk Speech FAIL! (1 min 22 sec)
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Feb 2005
1,847 Posts
[QUOTE=RumRunner_1492;22857257]It's absolutely true. Setting the bar low is a very smart play and pretty common. In reality Romney has far more experience debating than Obama does. That will come in handy since debating is a skill. Everyone knows Obama is a great speaker so the expectations for him are high. What would Romney gain by setting any high expectations?[/QUOTE]

Credibility