HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,350 Posts
Discussion
Hey look at this toy plane I just built

While waiting for my Baby Flight Streak Kit to arrive, I killed some time and built this. My son gave the kit containing twins for Christmas and I finally got around to it last week. I put the finishing touches on it today. I'll try it out tomorrow.
Notice the controls are set up backwards. I never thought about it until after it was built. I'll have to remember to flip the handle. When I build the twin, I'll put the control rod on the bottom. That's stupid, but it's the way the plans were. I just dumbly did as it was shown.

Name: SAM_1512.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 94.0 KB
Description: Name: SAM_1510.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 101.3 KB
Description: Name: SAM_1509.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 91.0 KB
Description:

It's a Blackhawk Models Kom Bat. It's just a simple little toy, but I juiced it up pretty good. Hopefully it'll fly like a bat outta hell. It balances without fuel right on the most rearward recommended point, and most of the fuel will be behind the CG. I'll add some nose weight for the first flight. If it flies okay like that I'll try to find the sweet spot. That's a mean little Medallion with an SPI cylinder/piston from Bernie and a G/N head. I'll take the video cam out to the field with me.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,118 Posts
I don't understand your comment about the controls being set up backwards. Looking at the pictures, I have no idea what you mean.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:44 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
Notice the controls are set up backwards. I never thought about it until after it was built. I'll have to remember to flip the handle.
It'd be a lot simpler to connect the "up" line to the front of the bellcrank .
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined May 2010
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
I don't understand your comment about the controls being set up backwards. Looking at the pictures, I have no idea what you mean.
Right line pulls down elevator, left line pulls up elevator. The hardware should have been mounted under the wing. I didn't botch the build, that's the way it was designed. I just failed to notice it. Reminds me of the time you wrote about how you were into a build before you realized you were building a clockwise flier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
It'd be a lot simpler to connect the "up" line to the front of the bellcrank .
That was my first thought, but the angle of the line makes it pull the crank way too far. I would have to add another line guide after the criss-cross to straighten them back out. That's probably what I'll eventually do.
Last edited by RknRusty; Apr 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:20 AM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
608 Posts
RknRusty
Crossing the leadout lines is going to generate drag on the controls that you do not want!!

Just hook the UP line to the leadout that raises the Elevator and connect the Down line to the leadout that lowers the Elevator. Most stunters have the bellcrank set up like yours to prevent interference between the rear leadout and the pushrod.

I am really confused now!!
I just looked closely at the pictures and you have it setup with the UP line in Front now. Just GO FLY It
Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Last edited by Clancy Arnold; Apr 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,137 Posts
It isn't hooked up wrong. It is actually right with the up pulling the pushrod. It is less likely to flex when pulling out of loops or dives. Most people fly right side up most of the time. I made a couple of those, they were kind of underpowered with a Baby Bee, the Medallian or Tee Dee would be good. Super easy to build. I made a few out of coroplast, even easier to build and bulletproof. Have fun and we all like movies.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:52 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,137 Posts
See if I can load this pic.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined May 2010
1,350 Posts
I'm going to try to get out this afternoon. I'll let y'all know how it goes. I test ran the Medallion a while ago, just to check out the engine and fuel feed. It turns way faster with that APC 5.5x2 prop than it did last week on the Bean with a 5.5x3 MA. I might put a Bee head on it for the test flight. I'll take the video camera with me.

Thanks for the replies.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:58 PM
NYC
Joined Apr 2005
324 Posts
Just hook the upline to the foward leadout!!!!! You did nothing wrong and this wasn't designed wrong!!!!! I've flown pro stunt planes for years with the belcranks delebratly reversed. It increases line tension in outside manuvers.
bogusbob1 is offline Find More Posts by bogusbob1
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined May 2010
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogusbob1 View Post
Just hook the upline to the foward leadout!!!!! You did nothing wrong and this wasn't designed wrong!!!!! I've flown pro stunt planes for years with the belcranks delebratly reversed. It increases line tension in outside manuvers.
Yes I know what to do, I'm not quite that confused, it was just that it surprised me as it's the first time I've ever built a plane configured like that. I didn't know there were planes built that way. Live and learn. At first I thought Cap'n Blackhawk might be a doofus, but now I know the rest of the story. Sorry Cap'n.
!!!!!