HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:38 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer View Post
Pete,

I haven't needed to do this, but I think I've read that others use a black sharpie on the orange props. I'm with you - orange and red really clash

Alan
Thanks for the tip!

I just flew 3 packs thru my stock motored 3D Beast with the 5030 and I have to say WOW, big difference!

I was contemplating swapping out for the GeeBee motor, but I think I can live with this power now! Interestingly, I checked the balance of this 5030 and it was spot on, a rarity from what I've heard.

The motor even sounds better with this prop...it seems to unload nicely in the air...

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:56 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,175 Posts
I agree, about the 5030 prop.

Just got some, and flew them today for the first time. Excellent balance of speed and power. Felt just right for the stock motor.

I bought them online directly from GWS, where they're a great deal. Only 75 cents each, and shipping is a flat $1.85. I ordered a mixed batch of GWS props in various sizes. Wondered what colors I'd get. Turned out that all were black, except the 5030's were silver-grey (a decent match for the B3D's silver accent color).

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:54 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Interestingly, I checked the balance of this 5030 and it was spot on, a rarity from what I've heard.

Pete
A rarity is a understatement, in fact I'd almost guess that something it wrong with you balance machine

Also if you like the performance on the stock motor, the 3000kv with that prop is even better.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Hi everyone.

I started flying with a UMP51, and after about 30 flights bought a Beast 3D. Have to say I LOVE this plane. Insanely stable, beautiful flyer.

I have been using MadDog RC 200mah 20C batteries bought from my LHS. Has anyone used these?? So far have they have been great. I wanted more so I ordered 3 Hyperion's. Thought I was ordering 240mah's, but ordered (and already received) Hyerperion 180's instead. Haven't flown them yet but I do hope they are at least as strong as the MadDogs. What is the true difference between the 180's and 240's? Stronger, or flight times, or both?

Thanks

Ray
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:11 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Hi everyone.

I started flying with a UMP51, and after about 30 flights bought a Beast 3D. Have to say I LOVE this plane. Insanely stable, beautiful flyer.

I have been using MadDog RC 200mah 20C batteries bought from my LHS. Has anyone used these?? So far have they have been great. I wanted more so I ordered 3 Hyperion's. Thought I was ordering 240mah's, but ordered (and already received) Hyerperion 180's instead. Haven't flown them yet but I do hope they are at least as strong as the MadDogs. What is the true difference between the 180's and 240's? Stronger, or flight times, or both?

Thanks

Ray
Ray,

Welcome to the fray!

The Hyp 240 packs will provide a noticeable increase in power as compared to the 180s - along with the expected increase in flight-time. This was not the case with the V1 Beast (even with the 5043 prop, static RPM was essentially identical between the two packs). However, the B3D draws more current than the V1, which pushes the Hyp 180s hard enough that the 240s provide a noticeable increase in power. More than enough to compensate for their extra weight.

I use my Hyp 180s when flying indoors, as the lower weight is noticeable at lower speeds. Plus, I usually fly all night without going past 60% throttle, so flight-time is still pretty good, and I'm not pushing the 180s hard enough indoors to see any performance benefit from the Hyp 240 packs. I switch to my Hyp 240s for outdoor flying.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Wing wobble/flutter redux

Ok So double checked everything inside the plane and everything is secure. RX is not loose. I moved the ailerons to the second outer hole and as expected the wing wobble got worse. It is noticeable even on the outermost aileron horn holes.

the rocking/wobbling starts at just over 1/2 throttle and gets worse as the speed increases. I even tested it on a power off vertical downline and its still there, though not as bad but this is a beast and it wasn't able to go that fast with the throttle at idle.

Things I've noticed:
The ailerons in general have a LOT of play. With just fingertip pressure I can get over full deflection just out of the linkage slop(servo does not move, so no slop there).
It is not doing this in turns or ail rolls even at full throttle.
KE and level flight same result.
Battery pack secure on landing, no slop velcro firmly attached.

I've checked the top to bottom ail rod and its secure on both sides.

Any ideas?

-Brian
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Wing wobble/flutter redux

Ok So double checked everything inside the plane and everything is secure. RX is not loose. I moved the ailerons to the second outer hole and as expected the wing wobble got worse. It is noticeable even on the outermost aileron horn holes.

the rocking/wobbling starts at just over 1/2 throttle and gets worse as the speed increases. I even tested it on a power off vertical downline and its still there, though not as bad but this is a beast and it wasn't able to go that fast with the throttle at idle.

Things I've noticed:
The ailerons in general have a LOT of play. With just fingertip pressure I can get over full deflection just out of the linkage slop(servo does not move, so no slop there).
It is not doing this in turns or ail rolls even at full throttle.
KE and level flight same result.
Battery pack secure on landing, no slop velcro firmly attached.

I've checked the top to bottom ail rod and its secure on both sides.

Any ideas?

-Brian
I've had two beast 3Ds - the first had the flutter really bad above 75% throttle, and it was very crash prone. Dont ignore it (I know, you are not )

I didnt find the culprit before it was totaled.

Beast 3D #2 unfortunately I flew into a tree (ouch), and wound up putting a wing kit on it. Before I flew it again, I went over it with a FINE tooth comb, and found that I had a lot of wing slop too. Turned out that the control horns were not seated firmly into the ailerons, which allowed them to rock in place. It was hard to see intially becuase they worked "fine"... but if I touched them at all, they moved without the servo moving.

A drop of Foam Safe CA and kicker set them firmly, and they are now solid as a rock. The plane flies like its on rails now - better than Beast #1 by a LONG shot.

Hope that helps...

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:23 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighjc View Post

I've had two beast 3Ds - the first had the flutter really bad above 75% throttle, and it was very crash prone. Dont ignore it (I know, you are not )

I didnt find the culprit before it was totaled.

Beast 3D #2 unfortunately I flew into a tree (ouch), and wound up putting a wing kit on it. Before I flew it again, I went over it with a FINE tooth comb, and found that I had a lot of wing slop too. Turned out that the control horns were not seated firmly into the ailerons, which allowed them to rock in place. It was hard to see intially becuase they worked "fine"... but if I touched them at all, they moved without the servo moving.

A drop of Foam Safe CA and kicker set them firmly, and they are now solid as a rock. The plane flies like its on rails now - better than Beast #1 by a LONG shot.

Hope that helps...

jc
Good to know about the loose aileron horns. I'm also experiencing some significant wing flutter so I was getting ready to start trying to figure out why. I'll check this first.

BUT... I also noticed that the wing that's fluttering (only one of them does it on mine) has a servo which appears to be over-active. I'm not sure if it's the servo, the board, a loose control horn, or something else. I guess I need to start looking into it.

It's never even come close to making me crash - just has a lot of flutter. It's especailly noticeable in KE flight.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Ray,

Welcome to the fray!

The Hyp 240 packs will provide a noticeable increase in power as compared to the 180s - along with the expected increase in flight-time. This was not the case with the V1 Beast (even with the 5043 prop, static RPM was essentially identical between the two packs). However, the B3D draws more current than the V1, which pushes the Hyp 180s hard enough that the 240s provide a noticeable increase in power. More than enough to compensate for their extra weight.

I use my Hyp 180s when flying indoors, as the lower weight is noticeable at lower speeds. Plus, I usually fly all night without going past 60% throttle, so flight-time is still pretty good, and I'm not pushing the 180s hard enough indoors to see any performance benefit from the Hyp 240 packs. I switch to my Hyp 240s for outdoor flying.

Joel

Thanks Joel... I have followed you throughout this thread (you are a bit of a legend lol). Thanks for the input. Put it this way... how do the Hyper 180's compare to the stock Eflite. I will be getting 240's soon.

Has anyone added any tape to the wind leading edges? Had a gentle landing rollover on grass onto a rock which dinged my lower wind edge. Thinking about adding some light hindge tape, but worried about CG issues.

I noticed on my maiden a weird wing flutter on level flight... mainly at 3-4 to full throttle. Was only on level flight. Since then I only see a little of it when a breeze kicks across the plane... has never come back otherwise or since. Though I know on that first flight that was not the case, and was alarming.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:43 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
My beast has tape all over. Usually a case of me trying to fly in too much wind.... However, I have no CG issues. The tape isn't heavy enough to effect performance THAT much. If anything, push the battery back another mm or 2 and it should be fine. Better to add a bit of weight and keep the wing sharp IMO. I also pre-taped the bottom wingtip corners. Those tend to get plenty of scrapes.
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:46 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,175 Posts
Quote:
.....Has anyone added any tape to the wind leading edges?......worried about CG issues.....
Joel and some of the other awesome pilots don't need as much damage-repellant as many of us do.

Personally, I put light tape on the upper wing's leading edge. Also, strips running fore-and-aft from the front of the wing to the aileron -- on the left and right side of the upper wing starting directly above where it attaches to the cabane struts. (That seems to be a chronic "fault line.")

And, I added thin CF rods to each side of the two main wing struts, and spanning the underside of the elevator -- across the flimsy central bridge.

From all that: No noticeable CG effect.

Reduction in Pucker Factor and maintenance down-time???!!!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:06 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighjc View Post
A drop of Foam Safe CA and kicker set them firmly, and they are now solid as a rock. The plane flies like its on rails now
Hope that helps...

jc
I'll check that out right away.

Quote:
how do the Hyper 180's compare to the stock Eflite. I will be getting 240's soon.
The HYP180s are much better than the stock e-flite in power and pack life. The e-flite180s see to wear out in months or less. I've had one that only lasted 3 weeks of 2-3 times a week flying!!

Quote:
Has anyone added any tape to the wind leading edges? Had a gentle landing rollover on grass onto a rock which dinged my lower wind edge. Thinking about adding some light hindge tape, but worried about CG issues.
I wouldn't worry about the weight of tape. Just don't go nuts on the amount of tape used. I didn't tape mine but I'm usually pretty good about not crashing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Joel and some of the other awesome pilots don't need as much damage-repellant as many of us do.
VERY TRUE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Personally, I put light tape on the upper wing's leading edge. Also, strips running fore-and-aft from the front of the wing to the aileron -- on the left and right side of the upper wing starting directly above where it attaches to the cabane struts. (That seems to be a chronic "fault line.")

And, I added thin CF rods to each side of the two main wing struts, and spanning the underside of the elevator -- across the flimsy central bridge.
The tape fore-aft in the inner wing towards the inner corner of the Aileron is a definite chronic failure point that I've noticed. The CF on the vertical wing supports is also a good thing to do. Finally the CF across the elevator "joiner" section is a huge help as that is a weak point.

-Brian
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:19 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post

Any ideas?
Yeah....

"That ain't right."
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,774 Posts
Did some flights through the cul de sac with my Beast 3D today. Started to mess with some high alpha slow flight for fun...then I realized I was going towards my huge birch tree in the front yard! Too late, smacked it ~40' up! Luckily it did not get stuck, it fell back down and nosed into the grass.

She looked surprisingly good considering the height of the fall. The wing had detached cleanly on the top right at the wing strut. Used some UHU Por and it's all good. The impact was so great that the plastic extension tab on my Hyperion battery pushed through the fuselage just a tiny bit. Surprisingly, the motor shaft seems true and I don't notice any vibration.

Gotta love this thing! Now I'm wondering if I need to "stock" a complete airframe as I slowly thrash this one...

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:43 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Did some flights through the cul de sac with my Beast 3D today. Started to mess with some high alpha slow flight for fun...then I realized I was going towards my huge birch tree in the front yard! Too late, smacked it ~40' up! Luckily it did not get stuck, it fell back down and nosed into the grass.

She looked surprisingly good considering the height of the fall. The wing had detached cleanly on the top right at the wing strut. Used some UHU Por and it's all good. The impact was so great that the plastic extension tab on my Hyperion battery pushed through the fuselage just a tiny bit. Surprisingly, the motor shaft seems true and I don't notice any vibration.

Gotta love this thing! Now I'm wondering if I need to "stock" a complete airframe as I slowly thrash this one...

Pete
Been there, done that!! It's easy to get mesmerized by those pretty high alpha knife edges and then WHAM!! LOL!

This plane absolutely excels at HAKE! Love it!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm