HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:29 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,027 Posts
Discussion
smallest lightest 10-12mp camera?

I have been flying my mini quad alot lately and would like to find a camera to go with it - I will be leaving it in the truck and need something with pretty good quality for clients 10-12megapixel if a suprise job comes up - -

I have a gopro and the quality just isnt there - Any other ideas??

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:23 PM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
495 Posts
The Casio Exilim cameras are sup lite weight and have great image quailty. I have one of their 8MP cameras and it weighs in at 4.5 ounces fully loaded. Here is a link to the 12MP version: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...071&CatId=3625
thenodemaster is offline Find More Posts by thenodemaster
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:57 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,167 Posts
Check out the S95 Takes superb 10MP RAW photos, has a fast f/2.0 lens and weighs 200g

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q420...dcompactgroup/

Some of my samples:

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:55 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
1,723 Posts
Wow David, excellent work!!!
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:39 AM
southern Illinois
Joined Jan 2010
473 Posts
It's not all in the megapixel. The lens quality is really important. One of my camera's is a Nikon D70S and is only 6mp and takes fantastic pictures. I also have a 10mp D80 which is better, but not a night and day difference. I know you are talking about a different type of camera, but wanted to give you this as an example.
Dizzy5 is offline Find More Posts by Dizzy5
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:58 AM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,408 Posts
The more look at that middle picture, the more the church and the tombstones (and even the cows in the background) look like paintings. It's a very intriging effect. David, did you do something in post production to create that effect?
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:41 AM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
1,723 Posts
Yea David, nice tweaks in Photoshop (?), and what are you flying?
I'm a photographer... Totally agree about megapixels. I have a Canon SLR, and keep telling people it is the lens and not the body (mostly). I saw a wall sized underwater photo done with an original digital Rebel (6 mp) at the Smithsonian
RE: Canon and Casio: either one setup for interval exposure? Or do most here use a servo setup?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:25 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,167 Posts
Brian - There was very minimal post-processing on that shot - just a mixture of levels adjustments, and localised brightening / darkening to even out the dynamic range

I also ran it through a simple Photoshop artistic filter, as it too reminded me of a painting when I first edited it

David

PS. One thing to consider when choosing a compact camera, aside from lens and image quality, is the fact that Canon compacts can be controlled using the CHDK software:

http://chdk.wikia.com/

Big plus in my opinion! I used to trigger compact cameras with a servo, but I've triggered my S95 with CHDK from day 1
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Apr 27, 2011, 03:28 AM
United States, AK, McKinley Park
Joined Dec 2010
152 Posts
Pentax Optio W-series

I'm pretty partial to the Pentax Optio W-series. I have the W60 (10 mp) but the latest is the W80 (12 mp). They are "shock proof", "dust proof", and fully submersible (if you have an RC submarine), and have an interval shoot feature...which is handy for low tech AP....just set it up to shoot every 10 seconds and you are sure to get something good. I have a 9 gm servo mounted to mine to trip the shutter when I please, with the servo the whole thing weighs just over 5 oz. A couple of recent pics from Alaska.
MtnSnowFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MtnSnowFlyer
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:45 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Auckland NZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Mike work your way through http://www.dpreview.com/ This is a great camera review site and the reviews have full specs including weight. You need to be really careful with the mp side of things, not all sensors of similar mp give good results. I have a 16mp lumix compact FH5 and frankly the files are pretty poor but then it was a very cheap camera. Are you wanting it for video or stills?
Cheers
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:48 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Auckland NZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
David, did you do any perspective adjusting?
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:56 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2010
267 Posts
Hogster, what I would like to know is what kind of post processing you're doing on the images.
I really like that kind of style!
bikertje888 is offline Find More Posts by bikertje888
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:40 AM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
1,723 Posts
Mtnsnow: Just did a search and the Pentax WG-1 is the "new" kid, and still has interval shooting. I am partial to Canon (still) and Sony (Video), bu the Pentax specs look "tough". Couldn't really find much in the way of reviews though.... Has potential, and might be an alternative to the Gopro HD.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:22 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Mike work your way through http://www.dpreview.com/ This is a great camera review site and the reviews have full specs including weight. You need to be really careful with the mp side of things, not all sensors of similar mp give good results. I have a 16mp lumix compact FH5 and frankly the files are pretty poor but then it was a very cheap camera. Are you wanting it for video or stills?
Cheers
Thanks guys - Stacky I am looking at still only - but video would be nice occasionally
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:08 AM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster View Post
Check out the S95 Takes superb 10MP RAW photos, has a fast f/2.0 lens and weighs 200g

David
Never understood the draw to shooting photos in RAW...until I had a camera that would shoot RAW, now I wont touch jpegs. Nice camera and great photos, I very much like the HDR effects you've processed in!

Curt
Flipper_118 is offline Find More Posts by Flipper_118