HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Smart to sit out and wait for less wind. Every time I've crashed The Beast wind has helped a bit. Still my error, but wind helps.
MIke
Yeah, I figured the AS3X should help with the wind (sure does on my Blade micro helis), but why chance fate?

Now, I'm worried about these stupid servos and whether or not I should have gotten a "regular" Beast before the 3D came out.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:18 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,449 Posts
Filling dents and holes in foam

My Beast has had a rough week. Somehow missed the grass and pounded the asphalt twice! Repairs went OK, but I used ACE Hardware Spackle to fill the asphalt rash on the nose (cowl) and then painted over. The nose looks like the foam melted a bit. It's from the Spackle, not the paint as I've used the same paint on the wing and my T-28.
What is a good medium to fill holes and rash?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Yeah, I figured the AS3X should help with the wind (sure does on my Blade micro helis), but why chance fate?

Now, I'm worried about these stupid servos and whether or not I should have gotten a "regular" Beast before the 3D came out.
The AS3X is great, but the wind still rules, especially banking which is when I usually get mine. My Sbach is resistant, my Beast has a mind of it's own. Especially now with multiple major wing repairs. Yesterday I had to duck twice on flybys.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Nov 2006
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
What is a good medium to fill holes and rash?
Mike
Lightweight latex spackle, can be bought at any hardware store and makes excellent lightweight repairs withou harming foam.
tommythecat is offline Find More Posts by tommythecat
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:57 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommythecat View Post
Lightweight latex spackle, can be bought at any hardware store and makes excellent lightweight repairs withou harming foam.
I believe it is a Sig product, they make a water based filler, you wet your finger and spreads out nice and dries hard, sticks well also.

Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:26 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:

Don't get worried. 99% of us here have no problems with the servos as long as they are taken care of. And care is easy, just a squirt of deOxit every 50 flights or so. The only stuck servo issues I've ever had on these linears was from hitting full travel on the elevator on my custom AS3X Sbach.

AS3X lets the B3D fly comfortably in 15-20mph winds. And I do mean comfortably!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:03 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,077 Posts
I get this Lepages Polifill spackle from Home Depot. It's water based so doesn't hurt the foam.
Got a chance to wring this little baby out today after I found a suitable batt. from a Cox Extra 300 plane that didn't work very well. It's a 240 ma and makes the plane haul A$$ for a solid 5 mins. with lots left over. Hover on the prop and pulls out vertically. Knifedge loops and all that good stuff. Don't know the brand of the prop, as it just says Cox on it.

Gord.Worth every dollar.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Don't get worried. 99% of us here have no problems with the servos as long as they are taken care of. And care is easy, just a squirt of deOxit every 50 flights or so. The only stuck servo issues I've ever had on these linears was from hitting full travel on the elevator on my custom AS3X Sbach.

AS3X lets the B3D fly comfortably in 15-20mph winds. And I do mean comfortably!

-Brian
Thanks for the words of encouragement. How many flights do you have on your Beast 3D? Now, if this danged wind would just calm down...
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:57 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. How many flights do you have on your Beast 3D? Now, if this danged wind would just calm down...
200+ I've lost count. I got one of from the first batched released. It survived all indoor season

-Brian
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,905 Posts
Quote:
Great. Looks like these servos could be hard to replace (ailerons have to be broken out of foam?), too.
Not really broken out of the foam---They have foam tape standoffs---Easy to get loose from the wing...

My conclusion was correct---The servo motors on the brick are developing dead spots..I replaced a motor on one servo with a spare motor and the servo works great...Don't bother to try to get these micro motors apart on these servos to massage the brushes---You can't get them apart without damaging them...$8 for replacement mechanics is a small price to pay in lieu of the aggravation of trying to get a servo motor to work...

I'm the KING of cheap (just ask my wife) and HATE to spend money where I can save a dime...And HATE to spend $$$ when I can do the work myself...But the work to fiddle around with the servo mechanics just isn't worth it when new mechanics is just $8!!!

Sorry, but again---Where can one easily find Deoxit???

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Oct 08, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:32 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,423 Posts
Kevin,

Excellent company!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderLubeS/

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:32 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post

Kevin
Free candy with every order I hear
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderLubeS

direct from the manufacturer:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.293/.f
Super concentrated version - http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1...2&category=293

Amazon.com and some other places.

-Brian

*edit: RC you beat me by only a couple seconds!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:33 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Free candy with every order I hear
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderLubeS

direct from the manufacturer:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.293/.f
Super concentrated version - http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1...2&category=293

Amazon.com and some other places.

-Brian

rc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post

Kevin
I ordered it off Amazon with free prime shipping.

Does anyone know if Deoxit will "melt" foam and/or discolor the paint if you get any overspray? I've only tried it on the micro helis...no foam...
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:57 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,423 Posts
Quote:
I ordered it off Amazon with free prime shipping.

Does anyone know if Deoxit will "melt" foam and/or discolor the paint if you get any overspray? I've only tried it on the micro helis...no foam...
No melt or discolor problems on my Beast.
First time I used the stuff, I didn't realize there was a flow control on the can.
Soaked everything!

Now I just let a drop run off the end of the spray tube.

The 'juice' is a permanent fixture in my flight bag.

rc
RCG Plus Member