HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2009, 05:16 PM
ChipG
Manassas, VA
Joined May 2008
177 Posts
Discussion
Over & Under Monocoat Hinges ?

I am in the process of rebuilding a Bob Dodgeson "Lovesong" sailplane. For those that may not be familiar, This is a 20 year old design that had full house controls, 130" wing span and all before computer radios.
The wings used an over & under monokote hinge system with a flat aileron to wing joint. The hinge allowed the ailerons and flaps to hinge from the top or bottom and remain tight to the wing with no gap. I am going to use this system again otherwise I'd have to modify the hinge point.

Here's the question, what is the best way to stick monokote to monokote ?
Is there an adhesive that doesn't take overnight to dry ?
Could I use adhesive trim tape instead of monokote ?

Thanks for any feedback

ChipG
chipgibbs is online now Find More Posts by chipgibbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
I used to use monokote hinges all the time, I just ironed them on, pretty simple overall and I never had any problems with them.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Mar 28, 2009, 05:41 PM
P. Seitz
United States, IA, Mechanicsville
Joined Jan 2006
511 Posts
Sorry I just saw your post to do hinges on the love song put glue side to glue side overlap your monocote the thickness of the inboard edge of your ail or flap. Use your monocote iron and just iron them together . use a mediam heat setting.
It will give you a very strong gapless hinge that will not bind ! I still use it on all my planes

Paul
seitz2c is offline Find More Posts by seitz2c
Last edited by seitz2c; Mar 28, 2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Spelling as usual
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:21 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,867 Posts
On the Lovesong, I'd probaby just go with tape hinges now. You can get the tape to do this from Hilaunch.com
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:31 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
511 Posts
I found a photo what shows the hinge layout on my wind song
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:35 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
511 Posts
I guess it would help if I included the photo
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:15 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
As has been said, the best way to stick Monokote to Monokote is simply to iron it one.

And over under hinges are about the most free hinge system there is, with a VERY wide travel range.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Apr 03, 2009, 01:12 PM
Joined Apr 2004
510 Posts
I often encounter contradictory descriptions of what the term "over & under hinge" refers to.

Some people describe "over & under hinge" as simply two strips of Monokote (or tape) that run along the hingeline on top and on the bottom.

Other people describe "over & under hinge" as many short pieces of Monokote (or tape) that go from top to bottom and bottom to top alternately, forming a "checkered" pattern (see post #3 for example).

So, what is the most "official" meaning of "over & under hinge"?
AndreyT is offline Find More Posts by AndreyT
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:04 PM
Iowa
Joined Nov 2006
7 Posts
Over& Under hinge defined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT
I often encounter contradictory descriptions of what the term "over & under hinge" refers to.

Some people describe "over & under hinge" as simply two strips of Monokote (or tape) that run along the hingeline on top and on the bottom.

Other people describe "over & under hinge" as many short pieces of Monokote (or tape) that go from top to bottom and bottom to top alternately, forming a "checkered" pattern (see post #3 for example).

So, what is the most "official" meaning of "over & under hinge"?
From my memories of starting R/C in the early 1970's and absorbing RCM issues in total, the "Monokote Hinge" is two pieces of Monokote (of course) overlaped the dimension of the thickness of the surface they are hinging (1/8" flap gets you an 1/8" overlap.) These combined strips are laid alternately top and bottom for the span of the surface. When the two joining surfaces are connected, the strips are guided to the opposite side of the adjoining surface, transferring the over and under alternation. By the way, you should cover the two joining edges before adding the over-under strips, otherwise you will not be able to totally cover those edges.

This is a variation of the cloth hinges formerly found in control line models. There is a block toy, from ancient times, I'll bet, where you can fold from one block to the next infinitely.

The hinge that uses continuous covering with one surface beveled was called the "Solarfilm Hinge". In this one the control surface is beveled from the bottom to the top. Invert the elevator, in this case, and place it on the top of the trailing edge of the h-stab. Cover the bottom of the h-stab and when you get to the trailing edge, continue up and over to the exposed bottom of the underside of the elevator, including the surface of the bevel. Flip the surface down. You will note that there is now a slim exposure of the covering's sticky side showing in the crack between the two surfaces. When you cover the top of the h-stab this bit of exposure is contacted by the sticky surface of the upper covering, thus forming a continuous hinge. This is very, very durable. I have never had a failure.

I like using the "Solarfilm" hinge for ailerons and elevators. This does not work well for rudders, so I opt for the "Monokote" hinge there. The Monokote hinge has the greatest degree of freedom of movement and range of movement.

Sorry I don't have diagrams to show.

Denny
dennyginia is offline Find More Posts by dennyginia
Old Aug 16, 2009, 06:07 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
The "best" way to install these hinges, is to cover the hinge edge or each surface, up about 1 inch. Then install the hinges, then cover over them. This 1) hides them, and 2) makes them more fule resistant(obviously important for fuel models).
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Aug 17, 2009, 03:34 PM
Culver City, Ca
Joined Mar 2009
102 Posts
I found this:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php...6679#msg106679

But I still don't understand how these hinges are made so they work.

Fox7
Fox7 is offline Find More Posts by Fox7
Old Sep 26, 2009, 02:49 AM
Joined Nov 2008
15 Posts
I was just taught how to do this, and took pictures.
Ruttjumper1 is offline Find More Posts by Ruttjumper1
Last edited by Ruttjumper1; Sep 26, 2009 at 02:54 AM.