Old Apr 27, 2015, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by outtacontrol
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
Discussion
1/48 scale plastic F-18 rc conversion

I'm fulfilling a childhood dream by converting a small plastic display model into a flying rc model. Well I guess in this case a gliding rc model. The plastic that it's made from is too heavy and weak for powered flight, but I have full confidence that I can put taileron control on it, drop it from a powered plane, and glide it safely back to earth. Why do this? Because it's a challenge, and I think it will be a lot of fun. Since it's not technically an edf, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but then again I'm not sure there is a better place to post either.

So far I've taken a smaller F-15, balanced it, trimmed it, and dropped it from up high and it did amazingly well. I've got the rc gear for the 1/48th SuperHornet and I'm in the process of installing the tailerons. If you guys have any interest or suggestions I'll keep posting. Thanks.
outtacontrol is offline Find More Posts by outtacontrol
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2015, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by space 1
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,465 Posts
try E-FLITE RC for small EDF
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:46 PM
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by space 1 View Post
try E-FLITE RC for small EDF
Thanks, but that's not the point. I'm trying to take something that's not meant for flight and make it flyable. I'm not new to R/C or EDFs, I just want to try something different
Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:27 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,465 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2854243
Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:31 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,465 Posts
flying brick

space
Old Apr 29, 2015, 02:05 AM
Find More Posts by ticketec
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtacontrol View Post
Thanks, but that's not the point. I'm trying to take something that's not meant for flight and make it flyable. I'm not new to R/C or EDFs, I just want to try something different
I think he is trying to help and give you ideas....

The gear used in those models is smaller and lighter than the helicopter gear you have posted in the picture. The AS3X gear also has flight stabilisation built in (and designed for aircraft) which will also help.

Also like, Yves Rossy AKA jetman, adding the fan unit from the e-flite models might not be able to sustain flight, but it might extend your flight time dramatically.

Thanks

dave
ticketec is offline Find More Posts by ticketec
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:28 AM
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
I appreciate the advice. Sorry if I came off the wrong way. Those servos weigh 1.2grams each. They're easily as small as the eflite linear ones and probably negligibly heavier, plus they seem a little more robust. I could see a flight stabilization system helping out, but I probably won't end up buying one for this project. This is just a simple cheap experiment for fun. I'm pretty sure the added weight of a battery/esc/edf combo would far cancel any benefits, plus there's really not any room. This guy is only 15" long and 9" wingspan if I remember right. It's definitely going to be a brick with wings, but thats part of the fun. Piloting skills will be put to the test, if it was easy, it would be boring
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by corsair nut
fly like an EAGLE ;)
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
24,233 Posts
looking forward to a flight report! cool project, I say get r done!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut