New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2015, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by Bryghtblade
Joined Aug 2014
53 Posts
My little modification

Good to see the thread is alive and well amd thought I'd let you know about a little mod I've thought up,I took a dead micro sevo and stripped out the guts so its just a shell with only the servo actuator spindle still in place with a arm attached. I then split the nose of my spy hawk and moved the camera up.cut a slot in the top of the nose and glued the dead sevo into the nose so that the top was flush with the fuse'.
I then glued the camera to the servo arm dead centre over the screw hole.
A modified servo arm was fitted to the rudder servo and a rod connected from the rudder servo to the camera servo arm.

I now have a steerable camera!, I've set it up so when I turn to the left the camera turns to look left as well! and vice versa .the stabilization feature for the yaw helps keep the camera stabalised and pointing in the right direction even if the bird is getting some "buffet". I'm going to experiment with disconnecting the rudder completely and rely on the ailerons for turning and that would let me have a camera view independant of the models heading,
Will post my findings later,
Its great to see BParini is still in the air, I've been thinking about a another model with the spyhawks guts in it
Bryghtblade is offline Find More Posts by Bryghtblade
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2015, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by JimO
Hacienda Heights, CA
Joined Sep 2000
350 Posts
Great camera pan mod, and nice, "bryght" paint job.

Jim
JimO is offline Find More Posts by JimO
Old Mar 14, 2015, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by Felipe Garcia
Spain, Community of Madrid, Coslada
Joined Jul 2013
108 Posts
My spyhawk fatshark

FatShark SpyHawk FPV (3 min 15 sec)
Felipe Garcia is offline Find More Posts by Felipe Garcia
Old Mar 14, 2015, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by segroegt
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
That is great . Thanks for sharing. Best Regards.
segroegt is offline Find More Posts by segroegt
Old Mar 15, 2015, 04:22 AM
Joined Aug 2014
53 Posts
nice one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
very nice,any onboard video to share ?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 04:29 AM
Joined Aug 2014
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimO View Post
Great camera pan mod, and nice, "bryght" paint job.

Jim
Thankyou, should be posting some vid links shortly of the camera pan system in operation, already figured out away to dramatically improve the max angle of pan, hopefully giving me 180 degrees of rotation instead of the 40 degrees I have at the moment.also worried about fatigue in the camera ribbon due to the flex from turning.the new system will eliminate that completely!.The paint job certainly helps keeping an eye on it in flight
Old Mar 17, 2015, 02:58 PM
Joined Aug 2014
53 Posts
It works!

took my Hawk out for a flight today to test the pan system and it worked perfectly.was able to turn the camera much like when you turn your head when driving a car as you turn a corner.found it very easy to turn on to a disired heading and keep it centred in the camera view.
Now moving on to the improved version with greater rotation
Old Apr 01, 2015, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by Metalfox1911a1
Metalfox1911a1
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
molex connector for spy hawk

Well I got the camera module I can get the camera but I don't know where to find the molex connector for the spyhawk. does anyone know where I can get the molex connector that will allow the camera module to connect to the main power module for the actual plane itself. Thanks
Metalfox1911a1 is offline Find More Posts by Metalfox1911a1
Old Apr 02, 2015, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by jesolins
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
15,037 Posts
Hi B,
Nice job. Did you end up replacing the camera and VTx in your new pan system mod? I don't see how the ribbon cable will last very long with those kind of stresses.
Photos and video please!
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryghtblade View Post
took my Hawk out for a flight today to test the pan system and it worked perfectly.was able to turn the camera much like when you turn your head when driving a car as you turn a corner.found it very easy to turn on to a disired heading and keep it centred in the camera view.
Now moving on to the improved version with greater rotation
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Apr 08, 2015, 01:56 PM
Find More Posts by Cesco
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
What fpv range do you guys get with original setup?

I did shorten my video transmitter antenna to a 13mm radiator (was 30mm) and i get perfect video from 300m+ away if receiver antenna points to plane. I did not mess with the copper foil groundplane, only with the radiator wire.

This is with a modified X107D quadcopter radio, my original spyhawk radio had a bad video receiver and got me no more than 50m distance.
I did modify this short range microcopter radio to use the more powerful spyhawk radio module. Needs cutting 4 traces, soldering in module.

This is pretty awesome. At 300m out i cant see the plane but get perfect video

Edit1:
Maximum range was 400m. We did not find it again. RIP.

Last flight video:
Last flight Hubsan Spyhawk (1 min 18 sec)

Edit2:
my daughter found it today.
http://i.imgur.com/Ge9nQ5o.jpg
Cesco is offline Find More Posts by Cesco
Last edited by Cesco; Apr 10, 2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Lost that plane
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by Cesco
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
The plane seems a little tail heavy balancing it with the GC indicators on the wing underside. Elev is hard to control with stabilzation off. And it likes to stall during landing approach. Should i balance it more forward?

Also motor 50% and motor off needs totally different trim settings, in elev and aile. Normal?

I get around 12 min flight time with the stock lipo. I did try to fit a 800mah lipo in the least intrusive way. I had to tilt the lipo to fit. Makes it a little nose-heavy.
Cesco is offline Find More Posts by Cesco
Old Apr 20, 2015, 07:29 AM
Joined Aug 2014
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi B,
Nice job. Did you end up replacing the camera and VTx in your new pan system mod? I don't see how the ribbon cable will last very long with those kind of stresses.
Photos and video please!
Cheers,
Jim
Nope used the same same camera and VTx.I very carefully checked the amount of flex occuring in the ribbon and it seems to be very easy on the ribbon.To be safe I limited the amount of travel so as to avoid over flexing and stress fatigue setting in. so far so good! To get a bit better field of view I have ordered a wide angle lens with which I will replace the stock lens as it has a narrow FoV. Its coming from china so some wait is anticipatedif my calculations are correct I should be able to look along each wing.I might even disconnect the otherside from the rudder and rely on the ailerons a lone for turning but I kinda like how I can skid the model around in very tight flat turn using just the rudder.
will post a vid shortly( i hope) when family life allows me some time to get out.
and if I can remeber how to edit and upload to Youtube
Old Apr 26, 2015, 04:42 AM
Joined Aug 2014
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
The plane seems a little tail heavy balancing it with the GC indicators on the wing underside. Elev is hard to control with stabilzation off. And it likes to stall during landing approach. Should i balance it more forward?

Also motor 50% and motor off needs totally different trim settings, in elev and aile. Normal?

I get around 12 min flight time with the stock lipo. I did try to fit a 800mah lipo in the least intrusive way. I had to tilt the lipo to fit. Makes it a little nose-heavy.
If you scan quickly through this thread you'll see your very nearly spot on with the bat mod.You can cut away some of the polystyrene in the battery compartment and slide the battery all the way in...and yes it does make the hawk nose heavy,I've glued a penny underneath the tail and this seems to balance it out nicely.
As to the trim problem the motor has a lot of downthrust in its set up, I actually removed the built in downthrust by leveling the engine pod, it also helped the climb rate.Not too sure about the need to trim the ailerons but the motor does produce torque which will try to roll the plane when running.

My hawk is also very pitch sensative and I have to occasionally turn the stabalization back on to level it out.Check your settings in the menu and look for "Expert mode" .if it reads "Yes" switch it to "No". its basically a high/lo rate switch.You can also reduce your elevator sensativity to a lower lvl in the settings menu,I've found these to help. As to the landing stall, fly it in,keep some power on,it used to happen to me a lot till I figured out what I was doing wrong,(found it in one of the posts on this thread )
Last edited by Bryghtblade; Apr 26, 2015 at 07:22 AM. Reason: forgot something