New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by mcscott
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Discussion
Help finding paper work/instructions for Stuart D-10

Hi everyone, I purchased a casting kit for a Stuart Twin Launch steam engine. It does not have all the paper work included and I was hoping someone here has a full set of instructions they could copy and send me. I will be happy to compensate for your time.

Thanks a bunch, Scott K
mcscott is offline Find More Posts by mcscott
Last edited by mcscott; Apr 20, 2015 at 09:48 AM. Reason: wrong engine!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:23 AM
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Here is the casting kit that I purchased. It is a older vintage "1964" , I noticed the bore of this engine according to the print is 1" . It appears the newer castings use 3/4" bore. "Edited" I just realized I bought a Twin Launch engine not a D-10. dohh. Thats ok I suppose I will just have to build a bigger launch now!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stua...vip=true&rt=nc
Last edited by mcscott; Apr 20, 2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by ooyah
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscott View Post
Here is the casting kit that I purchased. It is a older vintage "1964" , I noticed the bore of this engine according to the print is 1" . It appears the newer castings use 3/4" bore. "Edited" I just realized I bought a Twin Launch engine not a D-10. dohh. Thats ok I suppose I will just have to build a bigger launch now!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stua...vip=true&rt=nc
Hi Scott,
The drawing that you have with your purchase is all that Stuart issue and no other paper work is available.
Looking at the pic of the drawing it's far superior to the current drawings that Stuart sell which are photo copies of photo copies down thru' the ages and no machining instructions are available.
One thing that you will need if you are to put it in a boat is a very large boiler it has to be one of the greediest engines available .

Here are a few pics of one that I built last year, complete with Stevenson reverse gear and an engine driven boiler feed pump.
Note that the Con rods are steel and the bearings are made from Gun metal blocks more or less as full size practice.
I never liked the idea of half of the bearing being part of the base plate , hence my modification.
Best of luck with your build

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Last edited by ooyah; Apr 21, 2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,296 Posts
The plans are available from Stuart Turner. There are no instructions.
Regards,
Gerald.
Just looked at eBay link if you got the plans shown they are better than what you currently get from ST.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Last edited by steamboatmodel; Apr 21, 2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 02:14 PM
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Thank you guys for the answers! I actually found a VERY informative website about the twin launch engine.

http://compound.modelengines.info/index.html

ooyah that engine looks amazing, looks like you left it a natural steel finish, do you just coat it with WD40 or oil or something to protect it? The modifications are a very nice touch and look like factory equipment.

I just hope I can complete this engine without making any permanent mistakes. I have limited experience with model engine machining, with the exception of 3 simple oscillating engines. I wanted something with more parts and a better sound with some actual speed control to it. Im very excited and nervous to start this project but this forum has given me alot of motivation, wish me luck!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by Brooks
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,500 Posts
Ooyah, what a beautiful engine. Any plans to make a hull for it?
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Apr 24, 2015, 04:34 AM
Find More Posts by ooyah
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscott View Post
Thank you guys for the answers! I actually found a VERY informative website about the twin launch engine.

http://compound.modelengines.info/index.html

ooyah that engine looks amazing, looks like you left it a natural steel finish, do you just coat it with WD40 or oil or something to protect it? The modifications are a very nice touch and look like factory equipment.

I just hope I can complete this engine without making any permanent mistakes. I have limited experience with model engine machining, with the exception of 3 simple oscillating engines. I wanted something with more parts and a better sound with some actual speed control to it. Im very excited and nervous to start this project but this forum has given me alot of motivation, wish me luck!
Hi Scott,
I have no wish to dampen your enthusiasm in your wish to build the Launch engine but you say that you have limited experience of engine building well I don't think that this engine is one for the inexperienced.
What type of machinery do you have, you will need a lathe with at least a 4" swing and preferably a good mill.
Of all the Stuart engines that I have made this launch engine is by far the most difficult and at the end of the day you will require a large boiler to feed it, but don't let me put you of and if there is anything that I can do to help just give a" YELL"

George.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 04:41 AM
Find More Posts by ooyah
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Ooyah, what a beautiful engine. Any plans to make a hull for it?
Hi Brooks,

Thanks for the compliment, no I have no plans to build a boat for it as I don't have the space to build and I don't like Sawdust in amoungst my machinery..
I built the engine last winter as I had bought the castings on e-bay so it kept me busy over the winter.

I will probably sell it on e-bay as my son has no interest in steam engines and I have nobody to leave it to, I have the same problem with my Flash steamer and all of my machinery, the machinery goes to a friends son who is very interested but a bit on the young side at present so he is content to wait until I pop my cloggs.

George.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 04:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooyah View Post
Hi Scott,
I have no wish to dampen your enthusiasm in your wish to build the Launch engine but you say that you have limited experience of engine building well I don't think that this engine is one for the inexperienced.
What type of machinery do you have, you will need a lathe with at least a 4" swing and preferably a good mill.
Of all the Stuart engines that I have made this launch engine is by far the most difficult and at the end of the day you will require a large boiler to feed it, but don't let me put you of and if there is anything that I can do to help just give a" YELL"

George.
Thats fine I realize I am taking on a very difficult piece of machining here. I do have a Smithy 12-39 mill/lathe combo and I realize its not the most accurate machine, but so far it has done anything I have asked it to, just need to go slow with it. I have a mentor local to myself who can help out with the more complicated machining operations. Currently I have no BA taps or die's or suitable reamers so I will have to order some more tooling. Im sure I will have plenty of issues, I very much appreciate you willing to help and Im sure I will ask you many questions. So far my only plan is to take my time and follow the steps on that website.

I know looking at boilers is getting ahead of myself at this point, but I would really like to build a large coal/wood fired boiler simply because I like the smoke and the smell, but I have not had any luck finding a kit that provides material and prints for something this large. I would like to find a vertical 5-6" dia boiler that can also be fired with propane later when I build a boat.

I have experience with general machining on full size engines and various automotive/hobby stuff. I have also taken a couple classes at the local college while gaining my engineering degree and read a couple books on my own time, so Im by no means a professional but I have a good understanding. I have no problem handing the kit over to skilled hands if I feel I have gone over my head, I hope that doesnt happen! but I realize this is a challenge and failure is possible.

Thank you guys, and feel free to share any suppliers of boiler kits/plans/materials.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 05:33 PM
Find More Posts by ooyah
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
320 Posts
Hi Scott,
With your background and a Mentor to help you you will get on just fine.
As I am not familiar with your machinery you may need a bigger lathe but I am sure that you will get around any obstacles.

George.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:29 AM
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
What do you think of this boiler?

http://www.glrkennions.co.uk/model-e...e-boilers.html