New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2014, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by SlickZERO
Florida, USA
Joined Nov 2006
30 Posts
Discussion
Hobbywing ESC

I bought 2 Hobbywing Skywalker 50A ESC. One works fine and the other burned up after a 30 second flight. Both drawing about 35 A. I figured oh well, thew it away, and bought 2 more. The first one works (so far). The second one has a dead short. When I first plugged it in there was a giant spark and then nothing. I checked and found my Gforce 2200 60C battery now reads 0 volts. I tried another battery by just barely touching the contacts and same thing. Giant spark but it didn't hurt the battery.
Has anyone had issues with these or was I unlucky and just got 2 out of 4 bad ones?
SlickZERO is offline Find More Posts by SlickZERO
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2014, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,729 Posts
I'd take a look at the Hobby King YEP's

Should you decide on it, here's some buddy codes http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy/?strSearch=yep Don't forget the programing card-- it comes set-up in heli mode.

For those running higher cell counts, there Hv model has been a big hit with a lot of guys.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 27, 2014, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickZERO View Post
I bought 2 Hobbywing Skywalker 50A ESC. One works fine and the other burned up after a 30 second flight. Both drawing about 35 A. I figured oh well, thew it away, and bought 2 more. The first one works (so far). The second one has a dead short. When I first plugged it in there was a giant spark and then nothing. I checked and found my Gforce 2200 60C battery now reads 0 volts. I tried another battery by just barely touching the contacts and same thing. Giant spark but it didn't hurt the battery.
Has anyone had issues with these or was I unlucky and just got 2 out of 4 bad ones?
Try pulling the heat shrink off and see if you can spot the short. I've had a number of similar problems with another brand (Red Brick) where the alloy heat sink comes in contact with the motor wires. The solder connection from the motor wires short against the metal. Because of this I will take off the heat shrink before powering any ESC that comes held together by heat shrink. I will then glue the sink to the components with JBweld and leave the heat shrink off for better cooling.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:01 PM
Florida, USA
Joined Nov 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Try pulling the heat shrink off and see if you can spot the short. I've had a number of similar problems with another brand (Red Brick) where the alloy heat sink comes in contact with the motor wires. The solder connection from the motor wires short against the metal. Because of this I will take off the heat shrink before powering any ESC that comes held together by heat shrink. I will then glue the sink to the components with JBweld and leave the heat shrink off for better cooling.
Thanks for the idea. I will take a look.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:04 PM
Florida, USA
Joined Nov 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
I'd take a look at the Hobby King YEP's

Should you decide on it, here's some buddy codes http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy/?strSearch=yep Don't forget the programing card-- it comes set-up in heli mode.

For those running higher cell counts, there Hv model has been a big hit with a lot of guys.
Thanks, I had never heard of the Buddy codes.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,729 Posts
Ok here's how it works.. If you have found an ESc on that link I posted, you need to be logged into Hobby King first . Then all you do is to click on the link on
http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy/?strSearch=yep and it shows you the reduced price.. Just make sure you know which warehouse its linked to. There's the EU, UK, US, AS if it doesn't list one of those, it's from China..

I save some cash last fall from this site.. Bought 2 --120HV's for about $80.00 ea at that time.

If you can find one from US warehouse, it doesn't take to long to get them.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Dec 06, 2014, 05:17 AM
Florida, USA
Joined Nov 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickZERO View Post
Thanks for the idea. I will take a look.
I pulled the covering off and "looks" perfect. Using an ohm meter it is definitely shorted but can't tell where.
Old Dec 06, 2014, 05:42 AM
Find More Posts by ronwc
Ron - AMA 1025
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Aug 2005
360 Posts
hobbywing

I have ordered and used 4 or 5 of the hobbywing esc's this year and all have worked fine - I have a few of the yep esc's and they have all worked good too. But they could have had a "bad" run. Maybe you could just send back the bad ones.
ronwc is online now Find More Posts by ronwc
Old Dec 14, 2014, 05:54 AM
Florida, USA
Joined Nov 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwc View Post
I have ordered and used 4 or 5 of the hobbywing esc's this year and all have worked fine - I have a few of the yep esc's and they have all worked good too. But they could have had a "bad" run. Maybe you could just send back the bad ones.
I have bought 3 HobbyWing Justock for my RC trucks and they work great!!! I must have gotten a couple bad ones for the jets. It happens with any manufacturer.