HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2001, 10:53 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Wow, Love the 9X6SF on the Sky Scooter!

I took out my Sky Scooter today for the first time in 2 weeks because the Prop Adapter & Prop decided to leave the airplane in mid flight & head for places unknown. I installed the new Prop Adapter but this time I order soem APC 9x6SF Slow flyer props instead of my usual 10x4.7SF's. Wow! These made a big difference, I was starting to yawn with my old 10x4.7's but the 9x6 gives much better climb rate & a little more speed.
Now I can do some aerobatics again.
P.S. - The Radio Shack 1100 Mah Nimh Pack is still my favorite, perfect balance of light weight & duration, better than the 1600!
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2001, 02:48 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
told ya!
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Aug 06, 2001, 03:01 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
Mike, you're drawing a lot more amps with the 8x6, so it's normal that the pack gets hotter. I'm not familiar with the scooter, but there should probably be some airflow around the pack to keep it cooler.

Are you guys using the 3:1 gearbox with this configuration?
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Aug 06, 2001, 03:41 PM
Brockport, NY
Joined Jul 2001
184 Posts
Yes to the 3:1 gearbox. It's the 9x6 prop, not the 8x6 (maybee that was a typo).

The Sky Scooter design does not allow for much (more like zero) air flow around the pack. The pack is wedged into the foam and is completely covered top and bottom.

I have 'expanded' the battery compartment through to the other side of the fus. so the 8 cell pack fits in the body. Stock design would have it sticking out the left side of the body.

Wonder if anyone has come up with a mod to solve this problem. Seems like quite a few people are flying on the 9x6 slo flyer props.

MikeScag is offline Find More Posts by MikeScag
Old Aug 06, 2001, 04:06 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
My solution for battery cooling on the skyscooter was to cut 4 "channels" in the battery bay, about 3/4in. wide and 1/4in. deep.. 2 on top , 2 on the bottom.. This still leaves plenty of foam to support the battery.. Then, I fashioned 2 cooling scoops from some scrap thin plastic, glued them to the openings of two of the channels on one side so airflow goes through the channels.. works like a charm... THE BEST battery pack for the skyscooter is the Sanyo 1650mah NiMH 8 cell pack.. far superior to the radio shack packs and an easy 11min. wide open throttle flights..
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Aug 06, 2001, 11:06 PM
Brockport, NY
Joined Jul 2001
184 Posts
Battery debates asside, thanks for the hint. Seems like quite a reasonable mod to make. I'll try it first chance I get.

Old Aug 07, 2001, 12:13 AM
Brockport, NY
Joined Jul 2001
184 Posts
Tried this config today, over the lunch hour. Man, I'm lovin' life! This prop is like a match made in heaven for the sky scooter.

My battery pack got quite a bit hotter than with the stock 8x4 (8 cell 600 mAh NiCd). No accurate measurement, but it was almost too hot to touch.

Should I expect this? Is it bad?
Old Aug 07, 2001, 06:48 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
One thing I recently noticed on a direct drive S400 with a smaller prop is that if you use a prop adapter, moving the prop away from the fuse with a spacer (~1/8") seems to improve speed, and I imagine airflow around the fuse. Perhaps there could be a similar advantage on a larger geared prop.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Aug 07, 2001, 10:58 PM
Brockport, NY
Joined Jul 2001
184 Posts
OK. Well, since we're getting into the fine tuning details, I have no spinner right now, just the prop on a prop adapter, bare threads to the wind. Performance in this config is balls to the wall compared to anything else I've flown so far

currently, the config is a 7.2v Master air screw speed 400 geared 3x1, 9x6 APC slow flyer prop and an 8 cell 620Mah NiCd pack.

I plan on capping off the prop adapter this week, after collecting some more imperical data.

The gear box that I'm using causes the prop to stick out quite a ways from the fuse compared to the stock gear box.

Old Aug 08, 2001, 01:52 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Tic, Where can I get the Sanyo 1650MaH batteries. I've only found the 1600MaH bats.

Mrebman, How is the 1100 RS better than the 1600 RS? Same weight, right? Both NiMH? Shouldn't 1600 provide power longer?

Also, what charger do you use?

Does NE1 know if SS comes with 7.2 or 6 volt mspeed 400 motor?
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby