HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segraves
Here is the procedure to scale and tile the hi-res 3-view at www.skyote.org to 30" WS. The hi-res 3-view (a 300 dpi letter-size JPEG image) has Wing Span (WS) = 4.32 inches. Really! If your image-editing software tells you otherwise, it was probably made by M$. ;-) Here's a way to tell. Run the image through ScaleAndTile, same 3-step as below, but with SF=1. See that the resulting single-page PDF is 8.5"x11". Print a copy. Measure the WS carefully with an accurate scale.

The image is buried deep in the www.skyote.org site. Here's the link:

http://skyote.org/Gallery/Miscellane..._3_View?full=1
The above link appears to be dead, for now. I haven't been able to find the 3-view since www.skyote.org changed to another ISP. Fortunately, we already have the original high-res 3-view, right here in this thread. I'll correct the link when/if it appears on the Skyote web site.
Quote:
Thank you, Google. Wish I'd bought your stock when my sister did. ;-)

3-Step Procedure

1. Scale Factor (SF) = WS (model) / WS (3-view) = 30 / 4.32 = 6.94
2. Launch ScaleAndTile2.
3. Enter "Skyote_3_View.jpg", "6.94", "SS30.pdf", "LETTER", "SS30_tiled.pdf" (Leave out the quotes when you enter the data), and click on the "Do it!" button.

Voila! Plans happen! The above 3-step procedure can be performed in about 1 minute with ScaleAndTile2 (or ScaleAndTile, with its default letter-size tiles). Of course, the program runs in much less time (about 3-1/2 seconds on this 133MHz Toshiba laptop), depending on the speed of your computer. Results to be posted later. [Edit: See post #7 for results, with "SS" expanded to "SimpleSkyote" in the names of the uploaded files.]

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:57 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Here's a link to several articles on the Skyote, including Bob Hoover's 1976 pilot report:

http://www.skyote.org/What_is_a_Skyote.html

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:12 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Cheers,
Bill Segraves

P.S. See sample output produced by ScaleAndTile3, v3k, below.

P.S.2. Tony/Kendall, how about an easy adaptation of the monoblock fuse of the Pawnee, with J-3-Cub-ish nosebowl, Tiger-Moth-ish empennage, and swept J-3-Cub-ish wings?
Bill, it can be done fairly easily. What are you looking for? i.e., size, weight, park scale or true scale, airfoil, flying characteristics, etc

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Bill, it can be done fairly easily. What are you looking for? i.e., size, weight, park scale or true scale, airfoil, flying characteristics, etc

Tony
Tony, I'll defer to your expertise. If you'd like to take it on, please proceed.

I'm thinking a standoff (semi) scale sport aircraft, similar in size and performance to what works so well for your designs, would be best.

The high-resolution 3-view I posted is the best that is available, and I have permission from Pete Bartoe for it to be posted and used here.

So, let's move it forward, whenever you're ready. There are plenty of nice color schemes available on the Skyote Club and Yahoo sites.

Many thanks and best regards,
Bill Segraves

P.S. I'm in hopes you'll have a working design in time for Kendall's safe return, so he can giant-size it (prayer for his safe return).
Old Feb 20, 2008, 03:18 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
OK, you gonna do the beta build?

Tony

(praying for Kendall too) (All the other great guys there too)
Old Feb 20, 2008, 04:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
OK, you gonna do the beta build?

Tony

(praying for Kendall too) (All the other great guys there too)
Sure, I'm in. OTOH, perhaps we should also enlist someone (Bob?) that would get it flying faster than I might. I'd certainly like to participate, though, to the extent my wife's health will permit it. I have a lot of sofa time, as she is often sitting in the den because that's the most comfortable place to ride out her constant pain.

Just let me know what materials we'll be using, and I'll start laying them in.

I can run a ScaleAndTile3 job on it, as soon as you determine the wingspan we should use. Naturally, we'll keep the build and your detailed plans under wraps as long as you, the leader of the pack, require.

Glad I bought my wife an Olympus FE-280 digital camera for Christmas for us to use. I'm sure it will get good use on this project.

Many thanks, Tony, for your willingness to take on this project. I think we'll be able to use it to help promote the Skyote, both as a model and as a full scale airplane.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:38 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
OK Bill, drop me a PM with your e-mail on it. There are several executive decisions to be made.

Tony
Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Nice looking plane ...got plans ??? hahahahaha
Plans are in the works. Can't say any more right now, except it will probably be a 30" WS foamy.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:11 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Plans are in the works. Can't say any more right now, except it will probably be a 30" WS foamy.
Unfortunately, the 3-view in message #7, which was the highest resolution 3-view available when it was uploaded, was downsampled by RCGroups to a lower resolution.

Not to worry, though. The PDFs I posted are based on the original high-resolution JPEG file, so they are the best we have available of Pete Bartoe's original 3-view drawing, at least until the file is restored on www.skyote.org.

The 1x and 6.94x PDFs that are posted in this thread can be scaled to any size the user desires. A plea, however: Please don't import them into an image editor that degrades the quality of them, as that might relect unfavorably on Mr. Bartoe's excellent work. The PDFs, as presented, can be scaled to any size, with no loss of the original resolution, if you stick with ScaleAndTile.

I'll check from time to time at www.skyote.org to see when the original 3-view is back online, and will let everyone know via this thread.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
Last edited by segraves; May 16, 2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2008, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Skyote Pirep by Budd Davisson - a must read!

Quote:
The Skyote, an exquisite little biplane designed over thirty years ago by O.E. Pete Bartoe, is the subject of this design-build-fly thread.

I mentioned this as a possible project back in the Simple N-28 thread. At the time, GPW, et al, had too much on their plates to take on the project. Perhaps now that days are shorter, some of the Simple N-28 build participants will be able to contribute.

For those interested in digging deeper, The Skyote Type Club has a web site at www.skyote.org. In addition, there is a Yahoo Group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SkyoteTypeClub, that has more information on the Skyote.

Now, here's a tidbit for those who may read the available literature on the Skyote. The original name of the design was "Tiger Cub" (I saw the ghost (remains from erasure) of the original name on my copy of the plans), later changed to Skyote. I asked Pete Bartoe about this when I noticed it, and he explained his reasons for the change (later). I still think the original name is most appropriate.

Tiger Cub - you read it here first. AFAIK, this name has never appeared in published print media, and has probably been seen only by holders of copies of the plans (revealed simultaneously on Yahoo Groups).

More later. ...

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
O.K. I promised more later. Later is now here.

Please see Budd Davisson's Pirep here:

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepSkyote.html

Tony and I have been working on a Monoblock-based 30" wingspan Skyote foamy, for which we've worked diligently to achieve near-scale appearance, and hopefully, the performance for which Tony's designs have achieved legendary status. I've asked Tony to start a new thread under his own name, so he'll get the recognition he so richly deserves, when we have it ready for release in the wild. ;-)

Watch for it, soon.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
Old May 16, 2008, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Skyote 1/8-scale coming soon - Beta builders needed.

Attention: Beta builders

Pat Tritle is doing a 1/8-scale L-4 over in the Scale Electric Models forum. Check out the cowl-engine combo here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...17#post9761054

It should be a perfect fit (when adapted) to Tony's 1/8-scale Skyote, coming soon.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Old May 16, 2008, 06:32 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
While we're waiting for the final plans from Tony ...

While we're waiting for the plans Tony will post later, readers who feel compelled to have a really accurate fuselage might enjoy seeing the isometric view of Cartesian Tubes, Inc's profiled-tube kit for a real Skyote fuselage, here:

http://www.cartesiantube.com/Catalog...e/Default.html

Builders using Tony's monobloc method for fuselage construction will be flying a lot sooner than true-scale builders.

Thanks, Tony. We look forward to seeing the final plans.

Warmest best regards,
Bill Segraves
Last edited by segraves; May 22, 2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old May 24, 2008, 06:59 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Bill, thanks for all your patience. Here are the plans for the 30" Skyote. Enjoy!

Tony

PS: PLANS AMENDED ON JUNE 12/08
Last edited by Tony65x55; Jun 12, 2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 24, 2008, 07:09 AM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Tony
I've been waiting on these!
Mike
Hopalong X is offline Find More Posts by Hopalong X
Old May 24, 2008, 08:15 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Bill, thanks for all your patience. Here are the plans for the 30" Skyote. Enjoy!

Tony
Tony, many thanks for all you do for Foamies (Scratchbuilt).

By your extraordinary efforts, potential Skyote builders have gained access to plans much earlier than they would have if I had undertaken to do them myself.

Now, let's get a few Beta builders to work on the Skyote, perhaps some of those who have done Beta builds on some of your other successes, if they're ready and willing to participate.

I'm sure Nettie will be proud of "Miss Nettie". The models of the Skyote are one way I can avoid building a 1:1 scale version, flying same with me in it. Nettie is most grateful for a version that will keep me on the ground.

Warmest best regards,
Bill Segraves

P.S. Note to builders: You can find color schemes for various full-scale Skyotes at www.skyote.org.
Last edited by segraves; May 24, 2008 at 08:31 AM.
Closed Thread