Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2007, 04:03 PM
England, UK
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
Discussion
A few questions.

I have been reading up a little on various UAV exploits and if I'm honest, I am a little hooked. So the bad news is that I have never flown an R/C plane in my life, the good news is that I have background experience in controls and electrical engineering, HVAC controls to be precise, but better something than nothing .

I loved the lighthouse project, it looked reasonably simple and pretty well detailed and provided me with enough keywords to 'Google' for more info.

I have a few questions though which either I couldn't find or have just got too tired and missed.

The U-NAV equipment looks good, but I couldn't figure out how the speed of the plane is controlled. Another thing is can you upload commands to the U-NAV while in flight i.e. through an RS232 radio modem? My thinking is that if you could relay the GPS data back to a PC you could invoke 'on the fly' commands through another application.

P.S. I have a Hobbyzone Super Cub on its way to me to at least get my foot on the bottom of the r/c flying ladder (hope this was a good starter) and plan on strapping my very slim and lightweight Samsung X820 to it for some video footage.
StuntMonkeh is offline Find More Posts by StuntMonkeh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2007, 05:50 PM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
I got involved in the hobby because of UAV's at work. I think learning to fly is essential to the whole pursuit unless you are working with someone that can do the flying.

One approach to throttle management with a small UAV is to have the pilot set the throttle for level flight and leave it there. If it's windy and the plane changes directions a lot, this probably isn't going to work too well, but otherwise it will be fine.
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen