HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2002, 10:54 AM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Rant
Beloved TM Now a Dog

My Tiger Moth probably has about 30 hours on it by now. It has always preformed well, but suddenly it has turned into a real dog. At first I thought I had a bad battery pack (I abuse em) but now neneither of my 300mah 7 cell Nimh's seem to give me much power anymore. I have done nothing to the motor in 30 hours other than run the devel out of it.(never lubed it) It looks fine and smells fine. Do you all think it is toast or are my batteries dieing? I don't have a meter or the know how to test any of this stuff. Are all of the little GWS motor pack the same? I have a buddy with a Lite Stik that he is never gonna fly. I could go over and rob his motor if it is the same. Might a little lube help it?

I appreciate everyones imput!

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2002, 11:10 AM
Bonney Lake, WA
Joined Jan 2002
788 Posts
Charge up your pack and plug it directly to both your motor and your friend's. If you have a fried motor you will notice a big difference. If not you either have a bad battery or speed control. This is what I did at my LHS with about 30 flights on mine, turned out to be a fried motor.
flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by flyfalcons
Old Jan 09, 2002, 11:26 AM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
Your buddy's motor should work just fine.

Put some light oil at friction points on the shaft/pinion/gear assembly.
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old Jan 09, 2002, 12:14 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,755 Posts
I'd try lubing your motor/gearbox as described above. It does make a difference.
I'd verify your speed control is working correctly by plugging the motor directly into the battery, bypassing the speed control.
I'd then try your buddies motor. If you can hear an RPM difference, your motor has probably seen better days.
You can get a replacement motor several different places - try www.toddsmodels.com. It's always good to have a spare or 2 on hand anyhow. I'd get at least a spare motor and a spare gearbox/motor.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Jan 09, 2002, 08:57 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I took your advise and I'm now flying with a brand new motor. What a difference!!!!!!!! I also went to a 10.47 prop. With my 7 cell NiHi, I now can get a spirited climb even in a steep spiraling turn. Wow!

I did an autopsey on the old motor and came up with some interesting findings. I though you might be interested because as near as I can figure, the little motor has well over 30 hour on it. When I plugged the motor directly into the battery it sounded just like the new one. I took the motor from the gear box and found the gear box to be very free (I thought) I sprayed some silicone on the friction points and got it to turn even better. However, I also disassembled the new motor just to compare and found the new one much much freeer. I put some silicone on it too for good measure before putting it back together. As for the motor itself. The old motor turned easier by hand as compared to the new one. (the old one actually felt like it has low compression) Guess the magnets were getting weak. Anyway, we are back up and running better than ever. Oh, I also took the advice and ordered another spare motor.
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Jan 09, 2002, 10:17 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Kansas

If the magnets are weak, you are seriously overheating the motors.

Open up the intake hole in the cowl to around 1" by 5/8" or so and cut away the bottom to in front of the fus. foam 3/8" or so.

Cooling intake does no good if the hot air can't get out!!

Get a heat sink also, only $1.50 from Todds and should help stop the overheating.

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jan 10, 2002, 12:14 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Are the new and old motors the same? My litestick came with the DX-A style motor (black endbell, strong cogging) where as my tigermoth came with the CB version (gray endbell, weak cogging).
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Jan 10, 2002, 12:37 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
the newer grays I believe are more powerful, but don't hold up quite as well to abuse... blacks can handle higher voltage without burning up...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jan 10, 2002, 02:20 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
30 hours on a motor like that is very good life - and cheap fun - 33 cents an hour!

I used to be happy to get 10 - 12 hours out of a S400 type motor.

I hope MY TM motor lasts that long - it already has a heat sink. Been using 7X300 NiMH but just got two lithium-ion packs today. Gotta hog out the battery area a bit more....
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC