HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Don't worry, I'm on the same page.

I'm flying the Nano, mCPX, SuperCP, V120D02s, and 130X right now. I REALLY appreciate the low crash cost!!!

I'm just looking to get into the next step and I think I'm leaning towards the 450X over the 300CFX.

But I could be convinced otherwise. I kind of like the larger size of the 450X but the 300CFX is $100 cheaper to start with, so that's a plus on that side....

Hmmm...decisions, decisions.
When you reach the 450 size, main shafts start bending on inverted impacts (if you aren't fast enough with TH). Blade grips and feathering shafts are also much more likely to break/bend. Also, if you can fly 3D/inverted with a 250-size heli, you can fly anything larger because they're much more stable.

I picked up a 300 CFX recently even though I have a Thunder Tiger E360 450-size heli still in the box. Eventually, I'll break her out, but I've been happy with the 250-size (currently flying a Walkera V200D03 with AR7200BX and Futaba S3154 digital cyclics). If you want to do a 450 size, then consider the E360 or Align Dominator. I wouldn't bother with the Blade 450X.
OrbitalGolem is online now Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2014, 01:47 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,255 Posts
Very nice write up. A sweet looking machine for sure. I am quite surprised they blinged it all up with nice metal upgrades and left the tail mechanics all plastic though. A bit of a turn off IMO
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Jun 05, 2014, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmodels View Post
I've only had to replace the servos and main gear.
Really the 300 and 450 share about 85% of the same parts and electronics
Chris - quick question. I received my 300 CFX today and noticed that the tail servo is really noisy when powered up with the heli sitting idle - almost as though it's constantly correcting for yaw motion that isn't happening. Is your tail servo noisy too? The servo action is smooth and quick responding - should I be concerned?

The cyclics are quiet fortunately.
Old Jun 07, 2014, 06:34 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,462 Posts
Nice write up chris W/ some great pics.

I was bitten by the 300X bug a couple weeks back, and what a joy to fly. . Flew much better then I thought it would have. . However the original 300X really was designed for rook's in my opinion. . It had no chance of living a long life with my flying style. Main shaft sheared for like you said all the flex in the 300X "plastic" frame.

I have just bought a CFX - - Going by your write up's and some H.F members the CFX looks to be a winner in the 3D arena. . Love the size . . Just a ton of fun to fly about in a little local park.

Electronics I have gone with. . Scorpion Motor 3800KV - Yep 30Amp ESC - KST DS215MG servos around - AR7200BX - Pulse 3s 1350 35c Lipo's.

Just waiting for the barebones 300CFX I picked up from a retailer to transfer all this over. . ( hopefully the 300X canopy will still be a direct fit )
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Jun 07, 2014, 06:58 PM
Joined Jan 2012
508 Posts
I maidened mine today - very impressed with its hang time in 3D manuevers. I'm coming from a 200-size Walkera V200D03 with BeastX and the feel is like night and day. A lot more "hang time" for tic-tocs and other manuevers.

A few notes/questions:
  • Check the pitch range - mine was +9.5 degrees, -14.5 degrees out of the box. Yuck - reset to +/- 12 degrees
  • Reset the 6-degree cyclic parameter on the BeastX
  • Tail servo end-points weren't right - reset those
  • Set pot #1 on the BeastX to the mid-point. No idea why Blade turns this pot all the way down. I've run mid-point and a few ticks higher even on my 200/250's.
  • I set pitch boost on the BeastX to low.
  • Cyclic response is really crisp with parameter G set to "very high" and 110% D/R.
  • My tail servo is really noisy even when she's sitting idle. Servo movement is smooth and the six flights today showed no bad behavior during 3D. Not sure why it's noisy, but I'll just fly it until it breaks.
  • I HATE the slow start of the ESC. This is not that much bigger than a 200-250, and I'm used to fast starts with those. Is there any way to reset the ESC for a faster start?
  • Check the motor wires as they wrap around the edge of the carbon fiber side plate. I saw a small amount of blue insulation on the carbon, so I loosened the wires there and will throw some heat-shrink on the wires and electrical tape the edge.
  • Stock motor seems underpowered. She bogs easily during tic-tocs. That being said, even when she's bogging, there's very little wobble.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:31 PM
Chris Reibert #78
Joined Dec 2008
425 Posts
Now my CFX and Goblin 570 match!

crmodels is offline Find More Posts by crmodels
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:43 AM
California
Joined Jul 2007
173 Posts
Crazy in love
hobby-plane-rc is offline Find More Posts by hobby-plane-rc
Last edited by hobby-plane-rc; Jun 21, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:21 AM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
534 Posts
I was at an auction over the weekend run by the LHS. The owner is 100% about the hobby and his auctions are usually to give people a chance to pick stuff up at a good price. I was surprised when he pulled out the 300 CFX and started the bidding at $200. One other person bid against me and when we hit $300 they stopped the bidding, pulled another out of the trailer and gave them to us for $300 each.

I've put the 300x and CFX next to each other and I like the new set up a lot. I remembered when I put metal blade grips on the 300x how it sounded different, but last night when I spooled up the CFX it sounded a lot different than I expected. I only did a few circuits and flew inverted briefly, but I like the way it handled. It just needs a little tweaking and I will be keeping an eye on the belt for the first 10 or so flights. My 300x belt didn't need tightening until after 50 flights, but the Goblin belt needed tightening after every flight for the first 5 or so. I probably would have done more, but I killed my Goblin 500 on Saturday and I am just taking it easy with the helis until I get my nerves back. I had the Ikon on the Goblin and I was even in self leveling mode because the sky was dark and I just wanted to discharge the batt when the Goblin just went down in flames. All that is left is the tail cage. I will be buying a new kit and rebuilding. I loved that heli. Hopefully I will love the CFX the same way I loved it and the 300x. I guess for some 500 size action I will have to drag out the old 500 3D. Maybe I should convert it to flybarless?
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Getting back into it
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:53 AM
Joined Jan 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano View Post
I was at an auction over the weekend run by the LHS. The owner is 100% about the hobby and his auctions are usually to give people a chance to pick stuff up at a good price. I was surprised when he pulled out the 300 CFX and started the bidding at $200. One other person bid against me and when we hit $300 they stopped the bidding, pulled another out of the trailer and gave them to us for $300 each.

I've put the 300x and CFX next to each other and I like the new set up a lot. I remembered when I put metal blade grips on the 300x how it sounded different, but last night when I spooled up the CFX it sounded a lot different than I expected. I only did a few circuits and flew inverted briefly, but I like the way it handled. It just needs a little tweaking and I will be keeping an eye on the belt for the first 10 or so flights. My 300x belt didn't need tightening until after 50 flights, but the Goblin belt needed tightening after every flight for the first 5 or so. I probably would have done more, but I killed my Goblin 500 on Saturday and I am just taking it easy with the helis until I get my nerves back. I had the Ikon on the Goblin and I was even in self leveling mode because the sky was dark and I just wanted to discharge the batt when the Goblin just went down in flames. All that is left is the tail cage. I will be buying a new kit and rebuilding. I loved that heli. Hopefully I will love the CFX the same way I loved it and the 300x. I guess for some 500 size action I will have to drag out the old 500 3D. Maybe I should convert it to flybarless?
The 300 CFX flies great - just watch the elevator servo. Mine seized at 49 flights, catapulting her into the grass after a bunch of side tic-tocs. Was hoping for at least 100 flights before any servo failures. No strikes or crashes prior to that flight. May have been the ambient temperature and lack of wind that day.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 03:14 PM
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Nov 2010
145 Posts
Hi Chris I put some metal gear turnigy servos in my 300x after a dozen flights one went out yesterday. I am going to put in the hs5055mg's and was wanting to know what servo settings you used for them in the BeastX. Thanks Randy.
RandyQman is offline Find More Posts by RandyQman
Old Jun 19, 2014, 03:24 PM
Chris Reibert #78
Joined Dec 2008
425 Posts
The Hitecs are 200Hz.
You still have to go through all steps to setup the Hitecs to make sure everything is working correctly.
crmodels is offline Find More Posts by crmodels
Old Jun 19, 2014, 07:20 PM
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Nov 2010
145 Posts
Great thanks
RandyQman is offline Find More Posts by RandyQman
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:28 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyQman View Post
Hi Chris I put some metal gear turnigy servos in my 300x after a dozen flights one went out yesterday. I am going to put in the hs5055mg's and was wanting to know what servo settings you used for them in the BeastX. Thanks Randy.
Exactly the question I was going to ask, thanks Randy and thank you Chris for the answer and the great review.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano View Post

Did you figure out what "popped" on the Goblin causing the crash? Every time I want to put a Goblin 500 in the air, I have a nightmare of a mechanical happening like that and my wallet starting to tear up...
Old Jun 24, 2014, 03:48 PM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
Did you figure out what "popped" on the Goblin causing the crash? Every time I want to put a Goblin 500 in the air, I have a nightmare of a mechanical happening like that and my wallet starting to tear up...
I never did figure it out. I want to say the battery, but I can't figure out why. I wasn't doing any 3D flying and it was a Thunder Power 65c 6S 5000mah battery that I was using for the Goblin only because it was too big for the Carbon-Z Cub. I just got in a new smaller 6S battery to test out all the electronics and servos. I need to pick up some EC-5 connectors and start with the ESC. Once I figure out what I need, I will order a new kit and start from scratch. The LHS is offering me a TRex 500 DFC that they build for a pretty good price, so it may be awhile before I actually order the new kit.
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Getting back into it