Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:13 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzodiackxs View Post
I'll go ahead and try that today .Aswell as some touch and goes to figure it out physically , like what kerwin suggested .
Thanks guys .
Yeah that's a good idea, and on your touch and go, don't do the "bounce and go" that I usually see... try to make it roll and then take off again.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:41 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Yeah that's a good idea, and on your touch and go, don't do the "bounce and go" that I usually see... try to make it roll and then take off again.
Or do some close and goes .... Closer and closer, eh?
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:02 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Or do some close and goes .... Closer and closer, eh?
Any way you can get the practice...

I have a big scale airplane, and I wanted to do a demonstration of scale flying for our club airshow, and the only thing I was worried about was the touch and go, because the plane is light and does tend to bounce. So, I must have done a hundred touch and goes one day till I got it right and could do it consistently, then I started doing it wrong, to see if I could recover from various mistakes. You know, come in with the wind behind you, come at an angle, try it at different speeds. The goal was to get the plane to roll for at least ten feet before taking off again.

I think part of the issue is that today's planes take off so fast, people aren't forced to learn to make it track during the transition, when the tail wheel is up, but the plane isn't going fast enough to fly quite yet. For most planes today, that takes maybe half a second, and the plane is in the air so fast you can correct any problems caused by poor ground handling after the take off. Practicing scale take offs and landings will really help you understand that part of the run - try to extend that period, when the tail is flying but the plane isn't. My plane has a nasty torque effect that shows up only during that part, so it's important to practice handling that.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:04 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,012 Posts
There are Three Golden Rules that will ensure you make the perfect landing, every time.

Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:14 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
There are Three Golden Rules that will ensure you make the perfect landing, every time.

Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.
I believe the three rules are:

1. Practice
2. Practice some more
3. Wake up - nobody makes a perfect landing every time.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:13 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,004 Posts
I find I can make a perfect landing when nobody's looking!
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:54 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,130 Posts
I must be making a lot of them because when I come in for a landing - everyone runs and hides under their cars or trucks and they keep their eyes closed while they pray
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Muffler problems
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:44 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
I must be making a lot of them because when I come in for a landing - everyone runs and hides under their cars or trucks and they keep their eyes closed while they pray
We have a guy like that in our club actually... normally he just sits in his car and watches us fly, but when he grabs a plane, we sit in the car and watch him fly
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:06 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2 View Post
Thanks for the link. It is very useful. At my flying field I would say 75% of the time we are landing in a cross wind. Our runway has a fence either side about 30m apart so landing in a cross wind for me is always a bum clenching exercise. It also teaches one to steer a plane on the ground during take off and landing, a thing which we probably do not concentrate enough on. My club instructors like newbies to run their planes around on the ground steering it to get the feel. By the way IMHO taking off and landing a heli is 10 times easier than a plane.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit