HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:06 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,237 Posts
Well done video, stick with the front view. Your rear view was not bad though. Smooth flight. Is that a #16 camera?
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Yea, #16 A lens. I lost my first one when I crashed into tall grass. Now I have this one leashed on.
SpinningProp is offline Find More Posts by SpinningProp
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:07 AM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
396 Posts
I managed to brave the cold and get a few flights in with my newly transformed Popwing night flyer. It flew great and I had no trouble with orientation. It could always be better with more lights or different configurations but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Here is a video of the 3rd flight filmed with my hatcam. (watch in HD 1080p)
Techone Popwing with LED lights (9 min 3 sec)
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:58 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Well that worked out great for you.
Good flying.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:10 AM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I managed to brave the cold and get a few flights in with my newly transformed Popwing night flyer. It flew great and I had no trouble with orientation. It could always be better with more lights or different configurations but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Here is a video of the 3rd flight filmed with my hatcam. (watch in HD 1080p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD9bP...ature=youtu.be
Captain Ron... Nice job on your lights, I like it, First night video I could tell which way the plane was going. Thanks for sharing, Capt'n Ron
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:18 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
396 Posts
Glad you guys liked the video. It is my first time using my hatcam. I actually rigged up that hatcam 5 minutes before I went out to fly so I didn't know how well it would work. I can't wait to fly it again.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,907 Posts
Well I'd just like to add my 2 cents to the mix on this one for any future builders of this wing. The build was quick but take your time with the motor mount. I utilized the stock location for the battery and removed foam. The plane CGs perfectly with the Power 400 Zoom motor and a 2000 - 2200 mah pack. I'm working on a solution to help alleviate the flex at the nose of the plane and am thinking some strategic use of tape and or more carbon fiber re-inforcements should help out.

In flight characteristics are sweet on this one and I only needed a few clicks of aileron trim and a few more on elevator. Not a blazing setup on 3s with the Power 400 Zoom but I'd guess it's in the 45mph range flat and level with my tired old packs. Overall it's very stable even at slow speeds .... which makes it easy to land too.

This one is a keeper and I'm hoping to add some FPV gear in the near future.

Don

PS: Thanks for all those who contributed info to this thread. It was a great helpin making the maiden a nice smooth success.
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:38 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
CG issue

Hi all. I just built the 900mm Popwing and want to see if the manual CG (200-212mm or about 8 inches) is correct. Even with a 1300 mAh battery it is tail heavy. Are people using bigger batteries or adding weight to the node or is the CG wrong in the manual?

I watched a build video on Youtube that said it balanced perfectly with with 1300 and a few posts up GP 125 is using a 2200 mAh which is much bigger than the manual suggests.

I built the ARF kit from Nitroplanes
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:43 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Hi all. I just built the 900mm Popwing and want to see if the manual CG (200-212mm or about 8 inches) is correct. Even with a 1300 mAh battery it is tail heavy. Are people using bigger batteries or adding weight to the node or is the CG wrong in the manual?

I watched a build video on Youtube that said it balanced perfectly with with 1300 and a few posts up GP 125 is using a 2200 mAh which is much bigger than the manual suggests.

I built the ARF kit from Nitroplanes
Tape something flat to the battery to get the CG per the manual, tail heavy isn't good on a wing at all. I fly my Mini with two different sized batteries and the smaller one gets weight added. I use a flat lead weight with Velcro. Add the weight to the forward end of the battery to help reduce the amount of weight you will need.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:46 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,907 Posts
I think my CG is right around the 210 - 215 location as mentioned in the manual using the Power Up 400 Zoom motor (approx 2oz) and a 3s 2200mah pack.
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:00 AM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Tape something flat to the battery to get the CG per the manual, tail heavy isn't good on a wing at all. I fly my Mini with two different sized batteries and the smaller one gets weight added. I use a flat lead weight with Velcro. Add the weight to the forward end of the battery to help reduce the amount of weight you will need.
OK. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure the CG specified in the manual is in fact the right CG. Are you guys finding 200-212mm to be correct?

If it is, I think I'll stick with the 1300 and add some weight. I was thinking about adding a slug in the nose skid.

I tried a 2200 nanotech I had sitting around and that was too heavy. Plus, the compartment is not wide enough for the 2200 I have. If I make it wider, looks like I might punch through the leading edge.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:03 AM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
This post has how i reenforced my nose section. If i did it again i would use bigger rod(probably 4mm). I cut the battery compartment tthru to the top and larger since taking that picture.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=650
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Last edited by Schoolya; Dec 30, 2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
wires on bottom

One other question. Whats the deal with the motor wires loose on the bottom. That does not seem like the best design concept both for drag and whn landing. Are you guys cutting slots to rscess the motor (and battery wires for that matter) or just let them hang?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
a little tape, or slot.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:27 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Any replacement motor suggestions for a mini pop wing?
Raften is online now Find More Posts by Raften