Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:35 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,679 Posts
Hello Lads,

I am thinking on the A5, but not sure if I should get the large or small version. Does anyone here have this one, and is it worth getting the bigger one? I am planning on using it FPV. Retracts will not be used as flown of water mostly and will want to belly land on grass.

Any tips would be great...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16526

Cheers
Mongrel
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:01 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Go with the big one , I have friends with the small one and unless its flat calm , it does the porpise dance and has trouble rotating , the big one has flaps which will help there....they are both pretty fast....my big one is coming 2gether now

Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:03 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,679 Posts
Thanks Ian,

I am looking for something that can fly gracefully and can spend a bit of time in the air.

Does it really need a 6S pack?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:43 AM
Joined Sep 2010
22 Posts
Tail portion is the weakest point . I broke mine too on a heaving landing . that part definitely needs some beefing up .
kenfiori is offline Find More Posts by kenfiori
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:53 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Thanks Ian,

I am looking for something that can fly gracefully and can spend a bit of time in the air.

Does it really need a 6S pack?
i've set mine up 4S eflight25 & 11 x 8 x 2 blade, i'm not chasing speed, more so hoping to get duration on 2 batts

from what i've read, the tail wag on the 1800 seems to be at a particular speed, flying fpv will be proof in the pudding

i'm also planning mostly grass belly landings, hoping to do some flying over local islands so a sea plane is handy for emergency

i'll be fibreglassing the fuse -> tail transition a little just to stiffen it up a tad

if all goes well, fpv will go in.... the 1800mm Icon has sooooo much room under the cockpit!
replace the tinted plastic with clear, happy days
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:29 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfiori View Post
Tail portion is the weakest point . I broke mine too on a heaving landing . that part definitely needs some beefing up .
where did it break ?? any photos
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:55 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
i've set mine up 4S eflight25 & 11 x 8 x 2 blade, i'm not chasing speed, more so hoping to get duration on 2 batts

from what i've read, the tail wag on the 1800 seems to be at a particular speed, flying fpv will be proof in the pudding

i'm also planning mostly grass belly landings, hoping to do some flying over local islands so a sea plane is handy for emergency

i'll be fibreglassing the fuse -> tail transition a little just to stiffen it up a tad

if all goes well, fpv will go in.... the 1800mm Icon has sooooo much room under the cockpit!
replace the tinted plastic with clear, happy days
Nice mate.

So how long do you reckon you will get in the air with your setup?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:17 PM
Joined May 2010
2,827 Posts
I'm moving house this weekend, so unless work backs off during the week, definately by the following weekend.

I'm really looking forward to it actually, totally different to anything else i've flown

I've pretty much finished it, all electrics are good to go, not going to fibreglass the base of the tail until i've had a few decent flights to know it's worth persevering with, all that's left is to find the mount place for the batteries/ cog... and i reckon she will be a good allround bird
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:50 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
I'm moving house this weekend, so unless work backs off during the week, definately by the following weekend.

I'm really looking forward to it actually, totally different to anything else i've flown

I've pretty much finished it, all electrics are good to go, not going to fibreglass the base of the tail until i've had a few decent flights to know it's worth persevering with, all that's left is to find the mount place for the batteries/ cog... and i reckon she will be a good allround bird
Don't forget the pictures on your maiden!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:05 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,679 Posts
Thanks Hoppy.

What do you reckon the endurance will be?? I want something that can stay up for a while.

I had a bit of poke around today and I still have a McClain 60inch EPP wing that I could use.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:16 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Year, that was very short and not happy sighting of ICON A5.. This page photo is better. (and ICON A5 is lifted! Movie magic!)
http://justjared.buzznet.com/photo-g...long-beach-09/

Satoru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Was watching a movie tonight and enjoyed seeing a cameo appearance by the real Icon A5 in the movie "Knight and Day".......... not enough of it, though....
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:49 PM
Joined May 2010
2,827 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Hoppy.

What do you reckon the endurance will be?? I want something that can stay up for a while.

I had a bit of poke around today and I still have a McClain 60inch EPP wing that I could use.
flight duration will be an interesting one...
the cockpit servo tray is huge, i'll be maidening with the eflite25, 11 x 8 x 2, and 2 x 2450mah 4S to give me 4900mah

I'm curious to see how she'll handle with 2 batts... 2 batts seems to me to be the way to go, one each side of the servos.
if she flies well at that, then i'll try 2 x 3000 4S

Biggest prop that can be fitted with motor in original placement is 12" dia, but i dont see why the motor couldnt be repositioned higher to take a larger diameter prop if need be

with 6000mah 4S eflite25 i dont see why 20 - 30mins couldnt be achieved with sensible throttle management, i guess it'll depend on how much throttle will be required to cruise

my cessna 1500mm on 4S 2450mah i can get a very easy 15 mins with scale flying... mind you i can stretch days out of a 2450 batt when i've flown into a tree top...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:05 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,679 Posts
Mate I am REALLY keen to see how this goes. Please let me know. If it is as good as you hope, it might be just the ship I am looking for.

Cheers
Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:47 PM
Joined May 2010
2,827 Posts
Quote:
Mate I am REALLY keen to see how this goes. Please let me know. If it is as good as you hope, it might be just the ship I am looking for.

Cheers
Mongrel
Yup, i reckon she'll be a beaut!

to give you the heads up, for fpv she'll need the fuse->tail transition fibreglassed... besides being a known weak area, just on bench test half throttle the tail vibrates from the prop wash. ok, this would settle a bit in the air, but i'd reckon the vibration would be transmitted to the fpv cam. I have no doubt a little fibreglassing will resolve this.

the only other fpv issue is the tail wag.
if my memory serves me correctly, the smaller Icon has considerable tail wag, but the 1800mm version only develops the wag at certain speeds, and even then can't be replicated every time.
If i find the wag is evident, i have a pair of fins i'll be fitting to the tips of the horiz stab, i'll be surprised if that doesnt do the trick
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:17 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,679 Posts
Yep I have read that!

I will be waiting to see how it goes. Film it if you can mate.

Cheers
Mongrel
RCG Plus Member