SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 05, 2001, 10:25 AM
england
Joined Jan 2001
162 Posts
It came off in my hand

I was extending the arial on my FF8 transmitter and I pulled the arial clean out.
5 years worth of castor oil and crud had locked the sections solid.
Yes I know that you are meant to clean the arial, but I just never got around to it.

Another lesson learned the hard way!

The arial mount is an integral part of the case moulding, and has broken in two.

What glue shall I use? I've tried epoxy without success.

Steve
steve glass is offline Find More Posts by steve glass
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2001, 10:56 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,156 Posts
I'm not familiar with the FF8 but aren't all Futaba radios have antennas that can be unscrewed and replaced?
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old Jun 05, 2001, 11:24 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MK:
I'm not familiar with the FF8 but aren't all Futaba radios have antennas that can be unscrewed and replaced?
Unforunately not if the part you're trying to screw it into is the bit that's broken.

Steve have you tried "proper" epoxy like real Araldite (not the fast stuff) ? I've glued plenty of things with that when the hobby shop 5 min stuff won't stick at all. Other than that you could always try to "weld" it together with either acetone (which melts many plastics) or a soldering iron but that's getting serious.

It may be back to Ripmax for a replacement case.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jun 05, 2001, 03:47 PM
england
Joined Jan 2001
162 Posts
MK: yes the arial does screw in, but it's the screw mount thats broken.
Steve: I did use Araldite, it just peeled off. I always degrease.
David: Doesn't say inside the case what type of plastic.
YB2: There were only wires that were ripped out.

Cheers guys I shall try a solvent plastic glue next.

Steve
steve glass is offline Find More Posts by steve glass
Old Jun 05, 2001, 04:30 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
JB Weld or similar- a big wad of it around the broken aerial (antenna) mount- if you have already used the plastic cement, add the JB Weld before you reassemble & screw the antenna in
lymon is online now Find More Posts by lymon
Old Jun 06, 2001, 01:20 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
What kind of plastic is the case made of? It's probably ABS or polystyrene. If you've got the case open, take a look around inside. There is almost always a stamp in the molding indicating what plastic is used (PS,ABS,etc). If it's PS or ABS, a solvent-type adhesive might work better than epoxy. That being said, I'd probably try to reinforce the joint with fiberglass and slow epoxy if it could be done cleanly.

good luck,
David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Jun 06, 2001, 01:36 AM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
The antenna on my hitec flash 4 screws into the metal bit that actually drives the antenna, so if I broke my antenna off and it included the bit that it's screwed into, then I'd have a soldering job ahead of me. I'm not familiar with your transmitter but it's something to check for.

And lastly, range check!
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal