HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2014, 04:44 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,013 Posts
Discussion
Which FPV goggles for Phantom 2 ?

Hi FPV group. I'm looking for goggles for my brother-in-law's DJI Phantom 2.

What are my choices?
What works best (easiest and/or good quality) with the Phantom 2?
Who sells these items?

I feel like I'm entering the dark side since I know nothing about FPV and I fly many forms of RC except FPV

Thanks, from the other side
Kevin
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:30 AM
United Kingdom, Durham
Joined Dec 2005
64 Posts
Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive glasses, You've been flying at least a decade so experience tells you what is right and wrong. But its a Phantom so its going to do some thing you don't want to see at some point

But back to bee serious, I can vouch for the fat shark attitude SD's as a reasonable set of goggles for the money. they can mist up a bit until they warm up and the plastic lenses can be not quite as clear as you'd like right a t the edges. but they are comfortable, block out all external light, the head tracker seems ok and the FOV isn't bad.
I have no idea how the hook up works with a phantom though so can't say if it will be an easy task
lazarus is offline Find More Posts by lazarus
Old Nov 01, 2014, 03:06 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Oct 2013
115 Posts
I second Iazarus. The attitudes are awesome. If he can spend a bit more. Go with the Dominator V2s. Just make sure to buy the video receiver module for it.
hjstaples is online now Find More Posts by hjstaples
Old Nov 05, 2014, 12:05 AM
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
Atlanta Hobby's Response

Asked Cliff Whitney, owner of Atlanta Hobby, the same question; what FPV goggles are best for the Phantom 2. For what its worth, here was his response:

"Glasses are very hard to fly with. We do stock the Fat Shark goggles which are the best (IMO). If you use Goggles the entire FPV system will however have to be modified. We would suggest using the Fat Shark Dominators which would plug into the existing ground receiver. The Dominators have fantastic optics and are bright."

Ed
ems1016 is offline Find More Posts by ems1016
Old Nov 05, 2014, 04:03 PM
Joined Oct 2013
115 Posts
Glasses are not hard to fly with though. This Cliff dude probably isn't into fpv. He just owns a store that supplies them. It's going to be challenging with either the goggles or a screen. I stand by my opinion with the attitudes or dominators v2s. I have tried the dominator v1s and I really like them as well but they don't have the adjustable screens. So if they don't fit your face(eyes), your pretty much screwed and your gonna have to just deal with it. I'm not shooting down ems response, just the Cliff guy saying goggles are hard to very hard to fly with. Theres gonna be a learning curve if you are going to fly fpv regardless.
Old Nov 06, 2014, 12:07 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,013 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. I have decided to go with the Fat Shark goggles. The shop the Quad was purchased carries the goggles and will install them for free.

Thanks again.
Kevin
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Old Nov 06, 2014, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
Right On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjstaples View Post
Glasses are not hard to fly with though. This Cliff dude probably isn't into fpv. He just owns a store that supplies them. It's going to be challenging with either the goggles or a screen. I stand by my opinion with the attitudes or dominators v2s. I have tried the dominator v1s and I really like them as well but they don't have the adjustable screens. So if they don't fit your face(eyes), your pretty much screwed and your gonna have to just deal with it. I'm not shooting down ems response, just the Cliff guy saying goggles are hard to very hard to fly with. Theres gonna be a learning curve if you are going to fly fpv regardless.
I agree with you completely. I WANT to fly FPV with goggles; one of the main reasons I bought my Phantom 2. Sure, I'm not planning on surfing through a forest at 4 MPH, but up above----whew, what a site!

Ed
Old Nov 06, 2014, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
Right On!

Quote:
. . .I'm not shooting down ems response, just the Cliff guy saying goggles are hard to very hard to fly with. Theres gonna be a learning curve if you are going to fly fpv regardless.
I agree with you completely. I WANT to fly FPV with goggles; one of the main reasons I bought my Phantom 2. Sure, I'm not planning on surfing through a forest at 4 MPH, but up above----whew, what a site!

Ed
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:05 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,921 Posts
Quote:
This Cliff dude is me and Goggles are harder to fly with than staring at a monitor which was the context that this question was ask. The field of view is less with goggles (even the new ones) and new folks to FPV feel constrained and find that they will take the goggles on and off while trying to fly (a nice bright flash each time this is done).
Like you say there is a learning curve but with us outfitting over 1000 systems each month I could tell you stories of first time users that you have most likely never seen ;-)
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2014, 05:54 PM
Joined Oct 2013
115 Posts
I'm not trying to disrespect. All I mean is that it's going to be difficult either way you go. I have talked to tons of people who say that they have used a screen and love it. I have also talked to tons of people(some of them who use a screen) that it's a very bad idea to look from the screen to the model. One minute your flying just fine FPV but when you look at the model, then down to the monitor again you see grass(meaning that you just crashed). I personally, like I said, fly, and began flying FPV with goggles. I have tryed flying with a monitor and I can honestly say that I do not like it at all. You're never going to get the immersive feel out of a monitor than goggles.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 09:28 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,373 Posts
@atlav8r
Quite a different experience for me tho. When i started, it was with a 7" LCD and i had trouble switching between LOS and FPV. You're flying from the monitor, then look up at the quad and it takes you a second or two to get yourself re-oriented into 3rd person. The only way i was able to fly was to turn the LCD around so that my back was to the flying site and just look at the monitor.

Then again, i do fly manual, so it may be because i already have more control over the quad through muscle memory and have enough faith in my reflexes to commit to just one view. The only learning curve i went through in the transition to FPV was the throttle control, the rest is just flying around at a hundred feet and flying lower and lower as i got used to it.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Nov 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM.