HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:00 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scole View Post
I have a broken aileron hinge, how do I fix it?
Someone recommended this hinge fix. I did it on my Carbon Cub and it works well and has lasted all summer and fall:
1) Cut 2 clear tape pieces about 1/2" long by 3/16" wide.
2) Join together their sticky sides 1/8" from each end. One half of the resulting tape piece is sticky on the bottom and the other half of this tape piece is sticky on the top with 1/8" in the middle that is not sticky.
3) One sticky end goes on the top of the wing and the other sticky end goes on the bottom of the aileron. Leave no gap between the wing and the aileron.
4) Repeat beside this hinge but the opposite so that one tape piece is on top of the wing and on the bottom of the aileron and the other tape piece is beside it and is on the bottom of the wing and on the top of the aileron.
5) Repeat for each hinge.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:01 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
Someone recommended this hinge fix. I did it on my Carbon Cub and it works well and has lasted all summer and fall:
1) Cut 2 clear tape pieces about 1/2" long by 3/16" wide.
2) Join together their sticky sides 1/8" from each end. One half of the resulting tape piece is sticky on the bottom and the other half of this tape piece is sticky on the top with 1/8" in the middle that is not sticky.
3) One sticky end goes on the top of the wing and the other sticky end goes on the bottom of the aileron. Leave no gap between the wing and the aileron.
4) Repeat beside this hinge but the opposite so that one tape piece is on top of the wing and on the bottom of the aileron and the other tape piece is beside it and is on the bottom of the wing and on the top of the aileron.
5) Repeat for each hinge.
Brilliant
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Today, 03:32 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,057 Posts
With the rainy weather expected for the next few days, I decided to edit some video tonight of the fun I had with my UMX Pitts this past Sunday.

Here is a short video of me landing on video for the very first time on pavement with that plane. I have landed many times on pavement off camera, but this is the first flight on camera:
First Pavement Landing with My E-Flite UMX Pitts S-1S BNF Basic RC Plane with AS3X Technology (1 min 57 sec)
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Today, 07:47 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,201 Posts
Beautiful almost breezeless afternoon yesterday. Went to favorite soccer field around 4 and sun behind me. Great flying I love this bird!
I fly with out gear and land on grass, will have to try pavement one day.
I find this plane as much fun as Beast but much more durable.
By far my favorite park flyer.
Got cold hands quick so only a few batteries worth of flying,
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Today, 09:01 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,156 Posts
Do you readjust CG if you remove the landing gear? And do you put servo covers on to protect crap from getting into those linear servos?
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old Today, 11:43 AM
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
They fly great love it just a small version of my byron great job guys
bill hiller
pitts150hp is offline Find More Posts by pitts150hp
Old Today, 11:53 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,153 Posts
GB,

Nice greaser! Landings don't get much better than that!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 12:02 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Do you readjust CG if you remove the landing gear? And do you put servo covers on to protect crap from getting into those linear servos?
I do not change cg just run A 250Ma battery as far forward as I can get.
I use servo covers from carbon cub on all my umx with exposed servos.
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Today, 01:15 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,047 Posts
I keep the clear plastic covers that pens and like kind of hardware comes in. I made a pair for the ail servos on the Beast They're about a 1/4 in. high and the pointy end faces the front of the plane. I could take a pic if you like.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Today, 01:31 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
GB,

Nice greaser! Landings don't get much better than that!

Joel
Thank you Joel!
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Today, 02:26 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
625 Posts
The motor makes the normal buzzing sound but it also makes a medium pitched whistle. I think the whistle is the 1800Hz carrier of the Pulse-Width-Modulation that controls the motor's speed. I wonder why Spektrum uses such a low frequency?

Have you ever heard a wheelchair or Tesla car motor whistling? No, because they use a much higher inaudible ultrasonic PWM frequency.

Has anybody tried changing the programming for the ESC for more power or more efficiency?
Changing the PWM frequency? The manual for the brick says the PWM frequency is 8kHz by default and can be 16k or 32k. But it sounds like 1.8kHz to me.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Today, 03:05 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
......The manual for the brick says the PWM frequency is 8kHz by default and can be 16k or 32k. But it sounds like 1.8kHz to me.
Given that the ESC is incapable of operating at a PWM frequency of 1.8 kHz, the logical & rational conclusion is that your ears are deceiving you. The odds of that being the case are overwhelmingly greater than anything else.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member