HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, RI, West Warwick
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Again I am new to electrics, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but can we just a buy new props for the plane? Or are these something special specifically for this plane. Granted I really don't want to buy something else, but props are kinda important!
viper1216 is offline Find More Posts by viper1216
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:22 AM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1216 View Post
Again I am new to electrics, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but can we just a buy new props for the plane? Or are these something special specifically for this plane. Granted I really don't want to buy something else, but props are kinda important!
yes you can just "go buy new props" but research and figure out what would work best for the motors, go to big or to small it will screw them up.
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Good to know. Thanks. I would probably just try to find the same size props that it comes with and just get a different brand.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:27 AM
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
APC IMHO makes the best electric props, they are balanced right as soon as you get them, or really close to balanced, have never had issues with them. They do make 3 bladed if thats what your looking for.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:50 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
I found out the the instructions leave out a lot... If any of you have looked at it, they start off pretty obvious... They tell you to attach all the push rods, and yet never tell you to or how to install the Flaps. By looking at the diagram, I figured it out, but it is not straight forward. There is a pack of 6 plastic clips (at first glance they look like Receiver Connector Safeties). These are actually the flap hinges. See attached images and figure blown up... I had to use a magnifying glass to see what they were doing. I used 5 minute epoxy and that seemed to do a very good and quick job.

Also, another note concerning the control horns. There are 2 different size screws. 2 of the longer ones need to go for the Rudder, the other 2 are for the fat end of the Flaps.

I also noticed that the elevator has hinges, but the rudder and ailerons do not, just the foam hinge, but they give you a pack of hinges, so they probably want to use those instead... Again the instructions never mention this.
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE View Post
APC IMHO makes the best electric props, they are balanced right as soon as you get them, or really close to balanced, have never had issues with them. They do make 3 bladed if thats what your looking for.
You have been luckier than I have... I always have to balance APC props. they are the best electric props I agree... But still needs balancing.

One problem with I would see here is the size of the prop shaft may be difficult to match up. this is not a very big hole for this size prop in my opinion.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:58 PM
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie624 View Post
You have been luckier than I have... I always have to balance APC props. they are the best electric props I agree... But still needs balancing.

One problem with I would see here is the size of the prop shaft may be difficult to match up. this is not a very big hole for this size prop in my opinion.
I had that issue and just made a custom adapter for it, worked out well
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
I like APC as well. It's the brand I use if I'm going to be using a wood prop. Would you mind sharing how you went about making the adapter as I'm sure I will have to do that.

Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:12 PM
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
oh I just sanded down a large piece of maple wood until it fit into prop, then found the center for it and drilled it out according to the shaft size. I put a few drops of CA glue around the wood to hold it into the prop, worked out great, but did have to do a small amount of balancing on that. fairly simple
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Seems easy enough. Thanks!!!!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Sparkie...does the plane come with servo's for the flaps or are they add ons?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:29 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Sparkie...does the plane come with servo's for the flaps or are they add ons?
They came with the plane and installed. All servos were installed, but not connected...
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
WOW!! That's a nice surprise. Figured it would be an add on. Thanks for all the photo's and info. Will definitely be a big help when mine gets here.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:40 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,096 Posts
Interesting on the flaps ...

I wonder if these will be already installed as production increases ~

Came with flap servos already mounted, yes ?

It doesnt sound like a "flaps option" like on the SR10 Reliant.

I wonder if flaps are even neccessary to land this plane .. ?

maybe we will find out, it doesnt look from the video that we have to make hot landings.

I am still trying to find a way to either transport one intact or see if it is too much hassle to get the wing off/on at the field.

Thanks Very much for all this great data Sparkie.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Last edited by Tim B.; Sep 28, 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: text
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
WOW!! That's a nice surprise. Figured it would be an add on. Thanks for all the photo's and info. Will definitely be a big help when mine gets here.
This pictures have only just begun... Working on a Secret Mod that I may reveal tonight...