HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:17 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2011
380 Posts
First CP

Thank you for the responses. So I guess the V450D01 is the best option for the long run as I don't want to be spending too much money. Just a quick question though, how do 450 size helis handle crashes? I know on my little 250 FP that when I crash it, a gear usually strips and some blades break and maybe the axel might be bent. With a 450 I imagine that a crash might potentially break the frame or do sever damage to the rotor head or main axel because the helicopter has so much momentum. Has anyone had experience crashing their 450's helis? Is the repair cost usually high or are the helis robust enough to keep going without repair? Thanks again.

ukarmy04
ukarmy04 is online now Find More Posts by ukarmy04
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:28 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukarmy04 View Post
Thank you for the responses. So I guess the V450D01 is the best option for the long run as I don't want to be spending too much money. Just a quick question though, how do 450 size helis handle crashes? I know on my little 250 FP that when I crash it, a gear usually strips and some blades break and maybe the axel might be bent. With a 450 I imagine that a crash might potentially break the frame or do sever damage to the rotor head or main axel because the helicopter has so much momentum. Has anyone had experience crashing their 450's helis? Is the repair cost usually high or are the helis robust enough to keep going without repair? Thanks again.

ukarmy04
It depends on how u crash it. This thing is like a flying lawn mower...so If you don't cut the power before you hit the ground, it could be bad.... Otherwise stock up on tail booms, main gears, and blades. Btw. I feel like the main gear is soft and the cogs break easily...but it's easy to swap out. So definitely have extra gears on hand.
nycheli is offline Find More Posts by nycheli
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:47 AM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycheli View Post
It depends on how u crash it. This thing is like a flying lawn mower...so If you don't cut the power before you hit the ground, it could be bad.... Otherwise stock up on tail booms, main gears, and blades. Btw. I feel like the main gear is soft and the cogs break easily...but it's easy to swap out. So definitely have extra gears on hand.
Great. Thanks nycheli. Just one last thing - I can't seem to find this information anywhere - but does the ESC on the v450 use 3.5mm banana plugs? Or does it uses xt60's?
ukarmy04 is online now Find More Posts by ukarmy04
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:50 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukarmy04 View Post
Great. Thanks nycheli. Just one last thing - I can't seem to find this information anywhere - but does the ESC on the v450 use 3.5mm banana plugs? Or does it uses xt60's?
It comes with banana plugs... but i swapped before the first flight
nycheli is offline Find More Posts by nycheli
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1 Posts
Hello everybody

I am living in Paris, France, i am 30 years old and the V450 is my second CP heli with the V120D02.I bought a week ago, the vendor told me that this heli was made one month ago so I think it's the last version.
But I ask just two questions about this helicopter:
- the tail baldes control is in plastic on my V450 (the others tail spare parts are in metal) but this parts is sold in metal. For example:
http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-f50d01-...rav450d01.aspx.
So I wonder if this piece is in metal or plastic on your v450?

- I think I have the same problem as Kutyafal about deflections servos. just i gotta redo rx setup to solve the problem?

sorry for my English. thank you
methos68 is offline Find More Posts by methos68
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:27 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
With the Turbo Ace motor that was used as an upgrade, now discontinued, what would be the next good motor upgrade for the V450 D01?

Scorpion class...?
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:55 AM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
With the Turbo Ace motor that was used as an upgrade, now discontinued, what would be the next good motor upgrade for the V450 D01?

Scorpion class...?
Why did wow discontinue this already?
stretch1100 is online now Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:34 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch1100 View Post
Why did wow discontinue this already?
No Idea.... I looked into this a while back and I thought I seen it was discontinued on the WOW site. Now it seems a search turns nothing up.

It maybe they have not yet stocked it on site, and that I'm just confused...
Old Feb 06, 2011, 10:53 AM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
No Idea.... I looked into this a while back and I thought I seen it was discontinued on the WOW site. Now it seems a search turns nothing up.

It maybe they have not yet stocked it on site, and that I'm just confused...
When we where at the AMA EXPO the V450 that flew had a TA motor. May try an email them ask your question about the motor. We are still waiting on the 9g motor that was in M120d01 and V120d02 in DK videos it is Turbo Ace 915 no motor yet
vronny is online now Find More Posts by vronny
Old Feb 06, 2011, 05:08 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
When we where at the AMA EXPO the V450 that flew had a TA motor. May try an email them ask your question about the motor. We are still waiting on the 9g motor that was in M120d01 and V120d02 in DK videos it is Turbo Ace 915 no motor yet
Good plan, I should just contact Jonathan at WOW, he would get me hooked up
Old Feb 07, 2011, 04:29 AM
mSR,120SR,4G6S,UFLYS,1#A, v450d
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Quick flight report...

OK, quick... that is the operative word here. With the weather being a balmy 13 near where I live I took it out to the field where I could finally do some proper flight testing. Tell you my worries about not having enough collective or cyclic pitch are gone now.

I started with max settings (about 10 collective and 9 cyclic) and quickly landed it after a few circuits. Mucho quick. Then I dropped to like 6 on collective and 6 on cyclic and it was much better to get familiar with the bird. The RX pots were set to the middle. I had 35% expo on the controls. Had to drop the tail dual rate to 70% as it was super quick also.

At these settings the bird flew beautifully. Nice stable inverted hover, flips and rolls are quick enough still and axial. Even did Tic-Tocs OK but it needed more collective for that as it was still losing altitude. I think I will dial collective back up to 8 - 9 and the cyclic to 7 and it'll be perfect for 3D.

No problem with power at all! Absolutely no bogging but we'll see later with a bit more pitch. No bad tendencies at all. Tracks straight and true in fast flight both forward and back and inverted. I'm loving it so far.

It being initially tail heavy I added two big nuts as weight in the nose and it was a bit nose heavy for the test flight and therefore a bit sluggish in 3D. However for FFF it scoots like bat out of hell! I think in general and for 3D a slight tail heavy config will be much better.

I asked my son to shoot some video but he was cold and shaking so much that the footage is an incomprehensible blur. I'll try to get some next time with my helmet cam.

I hope Walkera gets the 500 out the door quick and with attention to quality as it should be a hoot with this RX. It's amazing how they got all the non-adjustable settings right where you don't need to be a programmer to configure 29 settings to make it fly right.

Here is to hoping!
kutyafal is offline Find More Posts by kutyafal
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:08 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
^^^ Awesome to hear!
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:39 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Forgot to mention that I flew both the stock pack and the Turnigy packs I bought (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934) and I can say the Turnigys have noticabely more power.

My ST-1 is 90-80-70-80-90. After the 6 minute timer I put around 1100mA back into the Turnigys. I would wager you could get 8 minute of good flight out of them. For $11 they're a steal!
Old Feb 07, 2011, 08:06 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutyafal View Post
Forgot to mention that I flew both the stock pack and the Turnigy packs I bought (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934) and I can say the Turnigys have noticabely more power.

My ST-1 is 90-80-70-80-90. After the 6 minute timer I put around 1100mA back into the Turnigys. I would wager you could get 8 minute of good flight out of them. For $11 they're a steal!
Good to know, Thanks for that! I've been scoping out those packs. Did you just replace the connector ends on the packs or on your ESC?
Old Feb 07, 2011, 08:41 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Nah, I'm too lazy for that. I actually made up a 7cm long 3.5 mm banana plug to XT60 converter/extender. I zip-tied the original connector coming out of the ESC to the rear landing gear strut so I would stop yanking on the ESC every time I try to unplug connectors cuz mine are a bit tight. Also, when I install a battery I run the battery lead in front of the front canopy pin as to keep it out of harms (and main gear) way so I needed an extender anyways.

On the other side of the frame I have my only bling on the bird, an LED battery monitor with beeper stuck to the back side of the frame. I use a balance connector extension to plug this into the battery balance lead. I can take some pics if needed but it should be clear enough. Next time I'll also take my tach with me to get an idea on head speeds with stock vs. Turnigy batteries.