HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:35 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,248 Posts
It looks like today's EZBs fly as slowly as microfilm ships used to fly.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:03 PM
more balsa please!
Princeton, In
Joined Jul 2007
766 Posts
Salem 6

I'm just about finished building a Salem 6 from IMS. The kit was missing the wire for the front motor hook. As soon as I make one I will give it a try.
dcloin is offline Find More Posts by dcloin
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:12 PM
more balsa please!
Princeton, In
Joined Jul 2007
766 Posts
Ready to fly. Now if I can remember where I placed my winder.
dcloin is offline Find More Posts by dcloin
Old Jun 27, 2014, 03:06 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
i built a new full size EZB and its only .76 grams
i even made the stab adjustable with tiny tissue tubes. with a little weight in the nose it glides very very slowly across the room in a gentle left turn.
not to bad considering my last one was undersized and .6 grams

i will be taking it to the kibby dome on saturday, not to compete, just to fly it and take pictures/video.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:25 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2005
497 Posts
Looks awesome. Derk, you're ready to build an F1D. No, really, you are.
jwfinn is online now Find More Posts by jwfinn
Old Jun 27, 2014, 03:21 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
........i will be taking it to the kibby dome on saturday, not to compete, just to fly it and take pictures/video.
Nice work on your EZB. Please get some pics of the scale models if you see any.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jun 27, 2014, 03:48 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,164 Posts
NICELY DONE! At under a gram you're already up to the build level needed for an F1D. The only thing you're missing is the rolled tube construction. And if you can do an EZB to this level the tube and boom rolling won't be a biggie. Nor will the built up prop.

And it would appear that this thread has become the EZB Club All in One thread. It started some 6 years back and is still going strong!
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jun 27, 2014, 05:58 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
Thanks guys, i dont know what to say about your compliments, other than its much appreciated
Im not sure that I am mentally ready to try an F1D, i know there are many tools and things i don't have as well as a decent wood supply or the other exotic materials they use.

I also think that if a pro builder looked at this plane up close, there are many things i can do better. Things like how to get a smoother and more accurate curve on the wing and tail wood, or a better covering job, proper strength motor stick etc.
I have been building for a while, and have never had much trouble building light, but building accurate has always been lacking. And i'm sure thats something that would take a while to beat into my head :P

Again, thanks guys. I will get some video of as much as I can and many pictures. I bought a new memory card for my phone and have 2 batteries. I plan on being there extra early tomorrow so i can see the gliders.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 06:25 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,936 Posts
Great job on the new EZB weight. They can perform well at that weight. I did 28 minutes in Johnson City with an EZB around 650 mg many year ago. Coslick broke 30 at Akron with a 800 mg model.

Don S
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2014, 04:55 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
well guys, the best time i got yesterday was 12:20 and it was cut short on the decent because the motor came off the rear hook. it would have bee over 13 minutes if it had stayed on. on that flight it was just a foot or two under the ceiling tiles and we got nervous it might get stuck, but it just drifted along right under

i had a great time and got to fly with the guys on the F1D team and prior champions. Rob Romash was really nice and wanted me to hang out with them which was really fun.
i really do need to get more locals into freeflight so they can see this and participate as well.
Old Jul 02, 2014, 11:41 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
here is a short video of it climbing:
EZB climbing (0 min 36 sec)

if i build a better prop, i think i can break 15 minutes
Old Jul 03, 2014, 10:37 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,164 Posts
I agree, the prop is spinning much too fast to achieve the longer contest winning type of flight.

Look at the props used by others that have the blade area strongly in front of the prop spar. By sizing the thickness of the blade wood and size of the prop spar once away from the hub where they need to be strong enough you can achieve a sort of variable pitch where the torque of the motor and air resistance flexes the blades to a higher pitch and slows the prop down during the "burst", as much as that much rubber can be said to have a burst....

The idea is that you slow down the RPM during the initial climb, Then as the power drops to the upper mid range torque level the blades return nearly to the at rest pitch angle so the model maintains some climb.

Since this is ALL about controlled flex you'll likely find you end up needing different props for different motor sizes to use under different ceiling heights to get the best out of each location. I never quite got that far into it but I could remember it making sense at the time.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jul 03, 2014, 09:15 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,936 Posts
I would try a 12/24 for starters then you can move up to 13/26 or 14/28. I run 14/28 props on my FlL and those are 1.2 grams. My really light EZBs (sub 400 mg) are 12"/ 26" flaring props but in the 800 mg range a 13/26-14/28 will be about what you want. Then your rpm drop down below 100, most like the 85 range and time will go up. With the larger props you will probably not be able to fly a right hand circle due to the higher torque at launch as it may try to fly in a straight line but not sure. Never seen one fly to the right before :-)
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:49 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
there were a few slow turning EZB planes flown there that did do right hand circles, not sure what their weights were though.
on that longest flight, we wound the motor to 3100 turns and it had lots of twisting on the motor stick so we let it run out for 20-25 seconds before releasing. (i say we because Rob Romash was letting me use his "pro setup" and giving some pointers)

i figured when i built that prop that this would be a likely outcome, it was a rush job so i could have a decent model to fly there. i didnt even check the pitch properly, just made sure they were close to even... but thats why most guys have lots of different props, one for each occasion