Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,332 Posts
Discussion
HF Gimbal mounting questions

Has anyone done a comparison test of mounting the gimbal board above or below the camera.

By above the camera - I mean it is mounting to a non-moving part of the gimbal so the board moves with the vehicle.

By below the camera - I mean the board is mounted to the same surface the camera is mounted so the board moves with the camera, independent of the vehicle.

If you have them please post some comparison videos.

My gut feeling is below the camera should be better since you do not have servos or mechanical linkage between the camera and what the board interprets as movement.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,332 Posts
Reading the manual I came across this mounting instruction. Now I am really confused.

The HoverflyGIMBAL must be mounted on the lowest axis with a potentiometer controlled servo. On the AV200 360 degree pan mount, the HoverflyGIMBAL must be mounted so that it moves along with the Pan rotation. Other mounts utilize continuous
rotation servos on all three axes, such as the PhotoshipOne 3X Pro. In this case, the HoverflyGIMBAL must be mounted on the camera tray
so that it moves with the Pan, Roll, and Pitch axes.

What does "lowest axis" mean?

So on the Tppacks gimbal they have an external pot on tilt while roll uses the internal servo pot. So according to the instructions above the HFG should be mounted to the roll axis?

Tppacks mounts the board fixed on a tray above the gimbal.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,332 Posts
Sorry me again

This paragraph is from the manual;

The HoverflyGIMBAL can be mounted in any orientation just about anywhere on the gimbal, but there are some restrictions. Some gimbals
use potentiometer controlled servos and some use continuous rotation. For example the Photohigher AV200 360 degree pan gimbal uses a
continuous rotation servo for Pan and potentiometer controlled servos on the Roll and Pitch axes. You can check by looking at the axis to
see if the servo will continuously rotate around the axis. If not then there must be an external potentiometer measuring the angle somewhere
on the mount. This will appear as an extra set of wires coming from the body of the servo. If you see these wires then it is a potentiometer
controlled servo.

There are some errors which I need clarification on.

Specifically the sentences;
You can check by looking at the axis to
see if the servo will continuously rotate around the axis. If not then there must be an external potentiometer measuring the angle somewhere
on the mount.

The second sentence is wrong, remove "If not".

The next errors are related to above:
This will appear as an extra set of wires coming from the body of the servo. If you see these wires then it is a potentiometer
controlled servo.

If there are extra wires it is using an external potentiometer. In the beginning of the paragraph you differentiated between external and internal pots with the sentence

Some gimbals
use potentiometer controlled servos and some use continuous rotation.

You are calling a potentiometer controlled servo a servo without 360 degree rotation and therefore using an internal pot.

Sorry to be pedantic but I am looking at mounting and all this contradiction just confuses the issue.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:08 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Milo,
You should probably fill out a support ticket if you have further questions. hoverflytech.zendesk.com

What you are referring to below is talking about two different types of gimbals.

With gimbals that use no potentiometers and have continuous rotation servos, it's necessary to mount the HoverflyGIMBAL on the camera tray.

If the camera mount has potentiometers then you should mount the HoverflyGIMBAL before the roll axis, but after the pan axis. This should be a section of the camera mount that doesn't move with roll / tilt movement, but does move with pan movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
Has anyone done a comparison test of mounting the gimbal board above or below the camera.

By above the camera - I mean it is mounting to a non-moving part of the gimbal so the board moves with the vehicle.

By below the camera - I mean the board is mounted to the same surface the camera is mounted so the board moves with the camera, independent of the vehicle.

If you have them please post some comparison videos.

My gut feeling is below the camera should be better since you do not have servos or mechanical linkage between the camera and what the board interprets as movement.
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Sep 2010
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
Reading the manual I came across this mounting instruction. Now I am really confused.

The HoverflyGIMBAL must be mounted on the lowest axis with a potentiometer controlled servo. On the AV200 360 degree pan mount, the HoverflyGIMBAL must be mounted so that it moves along with the Pan rotation. Other mounts utilize continuous
rotation servos on all three axes, such as the PhotoshipOne 3X Pro. In this case, the HoverflyGIMBAL must be mounted on the camera tray
so that it moves with the Pan, Roll, and Pitch axes.

What does "lowest axis" mean?

So on the Tppacks gimbal they have an external pot on tilt while roll uses the internal servo pot. So according to the instructions above the HFG should be mounted to the roll axis?

Tppacks mounts the board fixed on a tray above the gimbal.
Most gimbals come in one of two varieties. Either (1) the roll and pitch axes use servos with pots (either internal or external) and the yaw axis, if it exists, uses a continuous rotation or potless servo or (2) all three axes use continuous rotation, potless servos.

In case (1) the HoverflyGIMBAL should be mounted so that it rotates when the gimbal yaws, but does not move when the gimbal pitches or rolls. This means mounting it below the yaw servo, but above the pitch and roll servos.

In case (2) the HoverflyGIMBAL should be mounted so that it moves with the camera tray - it should be mounted below the yaw, roll, and pitch servos.

The reason for this is that if a servo has a potentiometer on it, then its position can be controlled. So if the gimbal board is attached to the craft, and the craft tilts, it can send the servo to the opposite angle to keep the camera level. However, if the servos are continuous rotation, then you can not send a signal to move the servo to a particular position - you can only control its speed of rotation. So the sensor (gimbal board) must be mounted so that it moves when the servo moves.
Whopis is offline Find More Posts by Whopis
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
Well, this brings up a question that I have. A bit of background first...
I'm building a gimbal from AGL Hobbies that is based (from what I understand) on the cinestar gimbals. I'm using Hitec 7955's on the pitch axis(with an external pot) and on the roll axis (internal pot). Camera is a Nex5n with the Hoverfly gimbal board for gimbal control. Both the servos and the board are to be powered at 6v through a bec. Now for the question:
Should I consider removing the pots alltogether and using the board for servo position control? I've not seen that setup mentioned and was curious if there would be any advantage to it. Obviously it's being done somewhere as it appears to be an option in the gimbal board setup, I'm just unclear as to what the difference in operation would be.
Thanks' in advance for your info...
soarsimon is offline Find More Posts by soarsimon
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopis View Post
Most gimbals come in one of two varieties. Either (1) the roll and pitch axes use servos with pots (either internal or external) and the yaw axis, if it exists, uses a continuous rotation or potless servo or (2) all three axes use continuous rotation, potless servos.

In case (2) the HoverflyGIMBAL should be mounted so that it moves with the camera tray - it should be mounted below the yaw, roll, and pitch servos.

However, if the servos are continuous rotation, then you can not send a signal to move the servo to a particular position - you can only control its speed of rotation. So the sensor (gimbal board) must be mounted so that it moves when the servo moves.
Has anyone ever run a servo without pots and the controller mounted to the camera tray? I am looking at using the tppacks gimbal with no pots but modifying the tilt servo for 360 rotation.

Of course this introduces another complication. What happens with the controller under the camera tray but only the tilt servo is pot-less, the roll servo will be unmodified?
Old Apr 05, 2013, 11:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
Frustrations..

Ok, I have read through this forum. Maybe I missed something. BUt I can not get my mode switch to work as described.
I am running an AV200 with external pots / 360 kit. I have the Hoverfly Gimbal board mounted at the front - right side power pins down.

I have adjusted my input/servos to all be "working" in the software -

BUT.. If I setup as described in the manual with

CH1 - roll - set to auto "enabled"
CH2 - PITCH - "enabled" with MODE SWITCH
CH3 - YAW - ENABLED... ( I cannot get the second lower menu to work - to allow to click "mode switch"

When I allow the pitch to "auto" with mode - I can no longer control my camera tray pitch. ( in Angle, pos or Velocity I have full control)

SO, how is it on the software I can see the mode switch go from 0-1-2, and I can watch my yaw, pitch numbers moving and doing as they should.. but when I fire up, I get only Roll axis compensation, and cannot get control of tilt tray.

When I have everything set to auto - My tilt tray wont even move...
And when I have the mode switch to pos 2 - where my tray should lock on angle I make and auto.. it wont do anything either - just goes to the angle then back to home when i let off control stick.

HELP ? Anyone does this make any sense?
squamish_chief is offline Find More Posts by squamish_chief
Last edited by squamish_chief; Apr 05, 2013 at 11:24 PM.