HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
back in the hobby - first post on the boards - need advice

I've been ghosting the forums here for a few weeks & need some advice...
So, after a 16 year hiatus from the hobby, I got hooked into some youtube videos of the new foamie warbirds & it reignited the fire. After looking at how far the hobby (especially electric/foam detail) has come since I last flew RC & how cheap it was, I wanted back in.
I wasn't stupid enough to right away go buy a starmax or FMS warbird like I wanted to. I used to fly a nitro p51 until in a snaprole the wingspar failed at the root, but it's been 16 years since I augered that in & that was my last flight.
So I bought a harbor freight 3ch cub for a whopping $60 out the door. diahedral wings, underpowered 380 brushed motor & nimh battery.
I wasn't as bad as I thought I would be. After swapping out the battery for a 1000mah 7.4 lipo & a jst connector, I can fly it 8-9 minutes no problem. After a few bumps & chewed wingtips, I've gotten so I can grease landing (95% of the time anyway). I can also take it off from pavement no problem.
Aerobatics require a lot of altitude as the motor is waaaay underpowered, but I've gotten good at those again too.
Now, I need an intermidiate step to go to something more complex. I'm looking for a 5ch or 6ch medium to large, fairly stable & not too expensive suggestion. Maybe even just a kit so I can put my own stuff in there. I'd like something with flaps, & retracts would be nice too, but not necessary.
Thanks for all the help guys, this has already been a great forum to get me back in!
Rustvyper is offline Find More Posts by Rustvyper
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 01:21 AM
Gerry M
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2010
60 Posts
Made the same move a couple of years ago after an absence since 1975.

Started with an E-flite Apprentice, then moved to a Parkzone T-28, and now a Parkzone Extra 300.

Enjoyed the T-28 the best although no flaps or retracts - a nice step up from a high-wing basic 3 or 4 channel starter.
Gerry M is offline Find More Posts by Gerry M
Old May 17, 2012, 06:50 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
Nothing flies like a stick, I would recommend a Mini Ultra Stick. Especially getting back in the hobby after a vacation. No retracts, but should handle everything else.
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old May 21, 2012, 01:02 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
For flaps and retracts Parkzone offers a nice election on most of their warbirds. I currently Fly their P-47. Very well powered and fun to fly. Slightly tippy on low speeds
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old May 21, 2012, 01:17 PM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
457 Posts
Just get something that'll fly right out of the box. IOW, a bind and fly and something small that you don't have to take apart. Parkzone and EFlite bind and fly planes have the least amount of issues.
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
Old May 21, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
I ended up getting a fms 800mm f6f hellcat - I've already chewed it up a bit, but at least I can keep it in the air. Once I get confident with this, I think I'll be ready for the big warbirds again.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
If you do not mind building up ARF kit, there have been 1 meter ws GWS warbirds NPS kits available on market, ie. P-40, FW-190, AT-6 and the sports Formosa II. You have to buy 480 size 900 - 1000KV outrunner + prop 10 x 6 + ESC30A or 40A + 3S 2200mAh 20C lipo for powering any plane in this category. 480 size motor might be with the same output as 2 stroke .15 glow engine. You flew niro P-51 before, I'm sure that you are aware of the size and output of .15 engine. You might need bigger motor set up flying Formosa II.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old May 22, 2012, 08:32 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,154 Posts
T28

Take a look at this forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419147
Rtf or Arf retracts - flaps

Sale price: $99.00 http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8940-t28-grey-arf.html
mcnowhere is online now Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old May 23, 2012, 02:17 PM
Big Canoe Mountain Man
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
I am like you, last in the hobby 1989. Rejoined my old club and took a Hobbico P40 and Telstar out of mothballs along with a Telemaster 70 - all unbuilt ARFs. While I was building them up I converted the P40 to electric. None have flown as of date. I am playing with a Beechcraft Staggerwing foamy and a Advance 25e - both electrics none of which have been flown but ready to do so. . I am practicing getting my air legs back with a 3 channel park flyer trainer from Hobby Town. I flew three high wing foamies in the last two months and all crashed to smithereens so back to basics I have gone. Lots of good flying to you and welcome back from another Old Timer
donsur is offline Find More Posts by donsur
Old May 23, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnowhere View Post
Take a look at this forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419147
Rtf or Arf retracts - flaps

Sale price: $99.00 http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8940-t28-grey-arf.html
That t-28 is the deal! Thanks.