Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Nov 2008
101 Posts
Discussion
84" quaker re-finish photos

I have had this Quaker for many years and just put it away. I originally bought this one from a member of my club back around 1998 and who has built at least 20 of these. I stripped the covering off when I first brought it home and as things go, it sat around in the bones up until now. I finally got tired of looking at it recently and started to clean it up and make some improvements to the structure and that was mostly confined to the wing. After all the improvements were done, I cleaned up everything and started covering. I must admit that this is the first time I have used Monokote to completely cover a plane. I have always used Ultrcoat or fabric coverings and paint. I went with Monokote because I did not want to paint this time and they have several flat colors to pick from. I used olive drab flat and gray flat and I'm sure I'll get feedback on this, but I liked working with Monokote and I think the results came out well. I tried to create a scheme based on the Harley-Davidson WLA miltary motorcycle that was used in WWII.
I contacted Callie Graphics to print/cut out all the graphics you see here and she does excellent work plus her pricing is fantastic. On the nose the E Award was awarded to H-D from the U.S. government for their excellent production during the war, the nose art is a girl sitting on top of a Flathead Harley engine that powered the WLA motorcycle, the 'FLYING is Next Best" on the fuselage side is the exact font style and wording from a WWII Harley-Davidson ad, and the Harley-Davidson graphics on the bottom of the wing were made from the font type from an original WWII Harley advertisement. The WLA motorcycle was nicknamed the Liberator and I chose to use that to create this whole idea.
I will be using a Saito .65 for power, I just have not installed it permanently. That will happen this week. Radio gear is all in and I hope to take this one out to the field in the next week or two. I have another Quaker so I do know how they fly, I'm lookin' forward to getting another one in the air.
Feel free to comment good or bad.

Dan
deadstickdan is offline Find More Posts by deadstickdan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
It's an out of the ordinary scheme, but VERY well done. I used to consider my Monokote skills as above average, but I don't think I ever had a job that clean and pucker free in my life! Probably one of the cleanest Monokote jobs I've ever seen!

As far as film on a vintage plane, it's whatever does it for YOU, right?. It sure catches your eye!

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Nov 2008
101 Posts
David,

Thank you for the kind words. This was a very fun project for me to do and I very much like quite a few of the vintage plane designs. The other Quaker I have is due to be stripped down and I'll probably try the Monokote route again to see if I just got lucky time or see if I learned actually learned anything from this one.

Dan
deadstickdan is offline Find More Posts by deadstickdan
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,682 Posts
Dan - that looks great, what a super idea

Owl
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Sep 2007
488 Posts
fantastic job Dan!! I really love simple, effective color schemes!
Well done!!
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17