HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:45 AM
Joined Nov 2010
48 Posts
Discussion
What is your most favorable radio?

Let's talk about some relaxing topics. Which is your most favorable radio? And why do you love your baby so much?
Crystal dream is offline Find More Posts by Crystal dream
Last edited by Crystal dream; Sep 15, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:40 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,307 Posts
Futaba 8FGH Super

The new Futaba 8FGH Super. Itís 14-channels and the best bargain in the industry.

I fly large helicopters and itís perfect because of the Sbus interface to my CGY750 and Skookum SK720 gyros. If you fly helicopters this is the way to go. Also great for 3D airplanes and sailplanes. I love the super smooth feel of those ball bearings sticks.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:24 AM
NiCd + Mabuchi 550 was da bomb
NY USA
Joined Apr 1999
607 Posts
I wish the super had servo slow on all channels
boom is offline Find More Posts by boom
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:45 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Multiplex Royal EVO 9.
Never had a single problem, never had troubles with setup of any plane to work exactly how I wish it...
Two years back I got it upgraded to Royal PRO (for free), and was offered to move to 2.4GHz M-Link, system with integral telemetry (which no competitor on market had available at that time)..
It is almost 8 years old, but still the best by far for me.
Well, it do not mean much business from me to Multiplex company this way, but that is not bad for my pocket.. And I am also feeling "green", not wasting the ground by electronic crap purchased new and getting outdated each year..
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:23 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Thatís very strange, most want everything faster. What application do you have that needs 14 slow channels?

Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:27 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coro View Post
Multiplex Royal EVO 9.
Never had a single problem, never had troubles with setup of any plane to work exactly how I wish it...
Two years back I got it upgraded to Royal PRO (for free), and was offered to move to 2.4GHz M-Link, system with integral telemetry (which no competitor on market had available at that time)..
It is almost 8 years old, but still the best by far for me.
Well, it do not mean much business from me to Multiplex company this way, but that is not bad for my pocket.. And I am also feeling "green", not wasting the ground by electronic crap purchased new and getting outdated each year..
If you are talking about oldies I always liked those old single stick radios like de Bolt use to fly. I think they were Orbit radios but JR and Futaba also made them. I often wondered why they stopped making single stick radios.

Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:12 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
The servo speed that is available on the throttle function can be used on another function, such as flaps very easily due to the ease of assigning any function to any channel.
In sailplane mode, the flight conditions do allow for controlling the speed of certain functions.
There are really not a lot of uses for slowing down servos, other than slowing the deployment of flaps, which the 8FG can do.
Slowing down a retract servo is usually not possible and running a proportional servo on retracts is really dicey.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:17 PM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
If you are talking about oldies I always liked those old single stick radios like de Bolt use to fly. I think they were Orbit radios but JR and Futaba also made them. I often wondered why they stopped making single stick radios.
Well, but those single stick radios do not beat all of current radios on market, by features and performance, like EVO does...
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:33 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
I have three Turnigy/iMAX/FlySky 9X radios.

Now I got rid of JR, Futaba, Spektrum radios which cost ten times more and not any better than 9X.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined May 2005
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
I have three Turnigy/iMAX/FlySky 9X radios.

Now I got rid of JR, Futaba, Spektrum radios which cost ten times more and not any better than 9X.
Yes you keep saying that, yet you still are known to complain from time to time about Turnigy's lack of any customer support on this radio, poor build quality, and the occasional firmware glitch.

I have two 9X radios, and with the Er9x firmware they are very capable transmitters, though complicated to use and program. It's true that they can do everything the brand name radios can do, and more, and that they are a true hacker's radio (open source firmwares and all that). Maybe they are the up-and-coming Linux of radios (maybe like Linux at version 1.0).

But for many people they may not be the best radio for them. The stock firmware is clunky, and the open source firmwares are complicated and require programmer boards or soldering on the main board. Being able to set up and manage programs on the computer with Eepe is very slick, I have to say, but it still took me a while to wrap my head around how to enable flaps and spoilerons on the three-way switch with mixes. Now that I have it figured out I do all kinds of cool things like have a switch that lets me use the knob to add any amount of flaps or spoilers, or revert to the three-way switch with pre-set flap or spoileron positions (on the ailerons). This flexibility and hackability are, besides price, the main reasons I'm playing with the 9X radios.

I don't think Futaba, JR, or Spektrum have much to fear from the 9X at this moment. But heaven help them if the 9X v3 has a super slick stock firmware, no cold solder joints, fewer QA issues, and is still at or below $100. I'd recommend them at that point even with only community support. I am skeptical that these issues will be addressed, though.

Now to answer the original question. While I like my 9X's, they certainly aren't as slick to use as my trusty JR 7202 and 6102, which I prefer (with FrSky 2.4 GHz 1-way and 2-way) when I just want to get out a plane and go fly.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:49 PM
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Mar 2005
559 Posts
Caselh-

Very well put. It's fine if Kim says it's his favorite radio. I feel he likes it because it's cheap. If it's so good, why have three of them? He's always complaining about losing two planes to Spektrum but he offers details. It could have been a careless set up or dumb thumbs or low battery power.

But worse yet, he recommends the 9x to newbies. With all the complicated firmware and programming, I wouldn't wish the 9x on any new guy.

S
swede-rcgroups is offline Find More Posts by swede-rcgroups
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:44 AM
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Jun 2010
216 Posts
Flysky TH9X

Add me to the TH9X list as favorite radio. I have the Flysky version.
The reason I like it is because it's cheap, it's programmable(ie: the firmware), it's really versatile, it feels ok in your hands, and it works. First I like the tinkerablilty of it. It was daunting to open up a brand new radio and start soldering. It got easier after I broke it and spent 2 weeks getting it to work again. Can't fault the radio for that.
Unlike most radios on the market you can program any channel to any switch, gimble, pot, or any combination of them. It has also given me a better understanding of the radio since when I broke it I spent a lot of time examining the guts.
I am still in the "learn on the cheap stuff" stage in my flying, so it fits well in my rc converted AirHogs Titan, or my stryker, or my homemade coroplast planes. It's hard to be daring when you have to risk $100 reciever on top of all the other parts of the plane. A hobbyking battery and servos, ebay motor and esc, cheapo $9 receiver. It works for me.
I like the great community support for the radio, on this board. And I believe that the ER9X firmware is easier to program than other radios once you get a basic understanding of it, and that is not hard to do.

On the other hand, I do believe the stock firmware is difficult to use, hard to understand, and confusing, since some programming doesn't work because of the bugs, and poor "chinglish" manual.
Lack of failsafe makes it a poor candidate for bigger more expensive planes or helis.

No warranty, and no company support, and of course quality control that makes me want to open up the radio prior to using it, to check out all the solder joints and stuff.

Expect almost no support at all at the field.
Some people look down on me because I'm not using a Spektrum, or Futaba.
I was at the field, without my RC equipment, and had a guy who I've talked to a bit in the past, ask me "what radio you use?". I told him a cheap chinese radio, a Flysky. and got the condescending look, and "you get what you pay for" line. Then not 5 minutes later had him asking others how to get his aileron working he couldn't figure out how to set the trims on his Spektrum DX6I.

So my conclusion, is it's a fine radio for a beginner if you're the type that likes to tinker, is like me and wants to start out cheap, and work your way up, and could be open minded about cheap stuff. But it does provide an extra challenge to the RC hobby.

Also I would like to stress, I'm not really trying to "sell" anyone on the idea of a TH9X. I was just answering the question, and giving my opinion.
Happy flying(unless you fly like me, then it's happy crashing and rebuilding)
Kalikikopa is offline Find More Posts by Kalikikopa
Old Jun 26, 2011, 05:01 AM
Australia, NSW, Cherrybrook
Joined May 2004
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coro View Post
Multiplex Royal EVO 9.
Another vote for the Multiplex. I've only had it 6 months and each time i use it i find something new that impresses me about the whole system. The design of the radio and the basic hardware may be approaching 10 years old but they have features that many of the asian radio mfg's are now calling innovations on their latest release.
CustomPC is offline Find More Posts by CustomPC
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:34 AM
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Rheinland-Pfalz, Kaiserslautern
Joined Apr 2007
1,009 Posts
Turnigy 9x with Er9x firmware. I'm still considering to buy some Futaba T8, or so, but I feel so limited by the software. It doesn't even boot from a Linux CD...
daybyter is offline Find More Posts by daybyter
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:10 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,043 Posts
I am sure that I would love one of the popular modern radios out now but I have been so happy with my Futaba 7C radio I see no need to switch - maybe someday.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR