HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:47 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,031 Posts
Discussion
Aviation Week Story on UK UAS Regulatory Structure

I guess I have been living in a shell. The UK work on this just floors me. IMHO it is complete, comprehensive and reasonable. The AV week story trail starts in SUAS News here:
http://www.suasnews.com/2012/12/2041...g-differently/

UK site with a bunch of real interesting documents is here:
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...95&pagetype=90

The "Further Information" section is absolutely facinating reading, especially the dates on some of the documents......

Also interesting is that a buddy box is required for FPV....
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Last edited by Mel Duval; Dec 30, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:29 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,638 Posts
Its not rocket science (do you see what I did there)
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Last edited by Gary Mortimer; Jan 01, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:55 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,031 Posts
Hi Gary,
What really stumps me is that if it can be done in the U.K., why not here? Some of this work was being done TEN doggone years ago! Given what is going on in Washington right now, I gues that pretty well answers the question, though....

later,
Mel D>
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:43 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Ten years to come up with a chunk of airspace (former air base) we call MOA's and a NOTAM when it's in use? I don't see that as earth shattering. It also looks somewhat populated and that has a potential to turn negative, why not over the sea?
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:38 AM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,031 Posts
The CAP722 document is the one that is the most interesting. If we had something like that, a lot of people would be making money again....
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:35 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,638 Posts
When they were updating it in 06/07 something like that they even canvassed RC folks and asked what would you like! They started small and now have operational experience and data from those operators to use to consider more uses and larger civil platforms. Several of the 130 operators are able to operate BLOS.
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:11 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
When they were updating it in 06/07 something like that they even canvassed RC folks and asked what would you like! They started small and now have operational experience and data from those operators to use to consider more uses and larger civil platforms. Several of the 130 operators are able to operate BLOS.
Now THAT is a rather innovative idea!!! Seems like some guy named Patrick suggested a similar thing to the FAA some years ago....
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:14 PM
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,745 Posts
Mel,

They were given a copy of the RCAPA proposed guidelines back in 2009. Those 2 chaps there are Cliff Whitaker and Keith Dodson at UAS 2009 Paris, France. Hard copy of the Proposed Guidelines to the left of the laptop.

Airspace Integration history lesson...

Mel was one of the main authors on that work! Thanks for all of the hard work!

one more thing... Mr Whitaker was replying to a post on one of these hobby RC boards on my computer.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Site Sponsor
Last edited by patrickegan; Jan 01, 2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: One more side note...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:07 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,031 Posts
Another country heard from.....

Wonder if these were a year or so late??

http://www.suasnews.com/2012/12/2042...-for-comments/