Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by itplachy
Ivo Plachy
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Aug 2006
73 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King altimeter

I have purchased the Hobby King altimeter but have a trouble to make it work. The manual that comes with it does not say how to download the necessary software. Tech support guy told me to open the product page, click on "Files" and there would be the device driver and the altimeter application. I tried that but could not download. Always got an error. Tried on two different computers, the same result. Next advice was to go to Fly Dream web site. I tried that still did not succeed. The USB port does not recognize the adapter.
Other people seemed to figure out how to make it work. Can anybody please enlighten me? Many thanks in advance!
Ivo
itplachy is offline Find More Posts by itplachy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by gtrbaby
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itplachy View Post
I have purchased the Hobby King altimeter but have a trouble to make it work. The manual that comes with it does not say how to download the necessary software. Tech support guy told me to open the product page, click on "Files" and there would be the device driver and the altimeter application. I tried that but could not download. Always got an error. Tried on two different computers, the same result. Next advice was to go to Fly Dream web site. I tried that still did not succeed. The USB port does not recognize the adapter.
Other people seemed to figure out how to make it work. Can anybody please enlighten me? Many thanks in advance!
Ivo
I had the same thing - I was looking for the device through the USB port but it does NOT show there

download the software from Fly Dream
Open the programme
hit FDA-PC box.
under com port - select COM-1 then upload.

NOTE: this may not work - so you need to go through the ports one by one until it uploads the data - my PC at works uses COM 4 - my PC at home uses COM 2

once uploaded -you need to save the data then open up the "curve" part in the software then open your saved file
gtrbaby is online now Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Mar 13, 2014, 05:49 AM
Find More Posts by DizzyDuck
United Kingdom, Banstead
Joined May 2013
519 Posts
Mine worked perfectly off the d/l from the hobbyking files link. couldn't get mine to work off the fd link I still have the downloaded files. I wonder if they could me emailed or uploaded to here ?

Dave
DizzyDuck is offline Find More Posts by DizzyDuck
Old Mar 13, 2014, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by ThermalSniffer
United Kingdom, England, Wiltshire
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
I'm not sure why you can't download from the fly dream website but in addition to the fly dream altimeter software I also needed to download a driver for the silabs chip as, for whatever reason, windows xp wouldn't automatically do so.

The windows driver for all versions of windows can be downloaded directly from:
http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Docu...CP_Windows.zip

The altimeter software and user manual should be downloaded from the manufacturer's web page but I don't know why you're having trouble with this link:
http://www.fd-rc.com/Showcpzs.asp?id=893
ThermalSniffer is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSniffer
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:35 PM
Ivo Plachy
Joined Aug 2006
73 Posts
Thank you guys for sharing your experience. I will give it another try based on your procedure.
Ivo
Old Sep 30, 2014, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by Aerophoto
indoor
Calais France
Joined Oct 2005
89 Posts
Hobby King altimeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itplachy View Post
Thank you guys for sharing your experience. I will give it another try based on your procedure.
Ivo
I am happy to see how you discover the apparatus .
It is now ok !

Can you send me a picture of the cable used with a servo connector to supply and trigger the altimeter ?
I have to build one .
Thanks a lot.
Aerophoto is offline Find More Posts by Aerophoto
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:08 PM
Ivo Plachy
Joined Aug 2006
73 Posts
Sorry to say, I did not succeed in making it work so I gave it to my friend. He did not have time yet to play with that.
Ivo
Old Oct 01, 2014, 04:18 AM
Find More Posts by ItchD
United Kingdom, England, Aldershot
Joined Aug 2013
100 Posts
Out of interest when you plug (or unplug) the usb to serial adapter in to your computer do you get that classic "bing bong" windows noise? if not then you have the same problem I had and the adapter is dead. If your lucky then actually there's nothing wrong with the altimeter and you can make up/purchase a replacement adapter for a few bucks.

one of these would work

http://www.banggood.com/FT232RL-USB-...-p-911397.html

I can show how mine is wired if its of interest to you?

Jamie
ItchD is offline Find More Posts by ItchD
Old Oct 01, 2014, 08:50 PM
Ivo Plachy
Joined Aug 2006
73 Posts
Jamie, thank you for the offer. I have a serial to USB adapter that I use with a RAM3 altimeter and it works fine. Since I gave the Hobby King altimeter away I don't plan to go back to it.
Thanks,
Ivo
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by fairweatherflyer
United Kingdom, England, Glastonbury
Joined Aug 2014
59 Posts
having slight problems downloading it as usb drivers going into printers and devices rather than showing as usb. makes the bing bong sound - so probably just needs tinkering with
fairweatherflyer is offline Find More Posts by fairweatherflyer
Old Apr 26, 2015, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by JimZinVT
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,849 Posts
Mine never makes the "bing bong" sound when plugged in to the laptop, and is not recognized by the computer as a memory device (does not show up in File Explorer). But when I open the FlyDream software and hit the transfer button the data is saved and can be viewed.

The FlyDream software and drivers for different operating systems must be downloaded from the HK website

- Jim
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT