New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2015, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by victoras_h
United States, TX, Irving
Joined Jun 2010
233 Posts
Has anyone tried to use a Saito FG11 on the Meridian? Would it fit?
victoras_h is offline Find More Posts by victoras_h
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2015, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
amo ludibria ventis
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,793 Posts
I talked to the designer of the plane and the 10cc and FG11 engines (same guy), he said the Meridian is great with this engine. However, it might be smaller than the 10cc. I think the more appropriate engine for 4-stroke would be the FG 14. That's what this guy is using.

Hangar9 Meridian 10cc ARF SAITO FG-14 First flight (4 min 14 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoras_h View Post
Has anyone tried to use a Saito FG11 on the Meridian? Would it fit?
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Old Jul 09, 2015, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by larryoakley
Joined Mar 2012
366 Posts
I always was afraid of those canopy magnets, reason why I installed screws on the sides to avoid a canopy loose in mid air like the guy in the video
larryoakley is offline Find More Posts by larryoakley
Old Jul 09, 2015, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by jwellsy
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,332 Posts
This guy went with a FG-17 and several good build ideas.

Hanger 9 Meridian with Saito FG 17 gas (2 min 40 sec)
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jul 09, 2015, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
amo ludibria ventis
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,793 Posts
The fg 17 is discontinued no?
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Old Jul 09, 2015, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by larryoakley
Joined Mar 2012
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
This guy went with a FG-17 and several good build ideas.
I have a Saito 100 in my Meridian and had to install a 13x10 prop only because of the prop clearance, also all my takeoff and landings have to be with some flaps to avoid the prop hitting the ground, can't imagine a nose wheel brake with that FG-17
larryoakley is offline Find More Posts by larryoakley
Old Jul 10, 2015, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by airoscar
Canada
Joined Aug 2014
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
I talked to the designer of the plane and the 10cc and FG11 engines (same guy), he said the Meridian is great with this engine. However, it might be smaller than the 10cc. I think the more appropriate engine for 4-stroke would be the FG 14. That's what this guy is using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWvPcAmxlwc
Hi, newbie to fuel powered airplanes here.

I been contemplating building a Meridian with gas engine, but have sen lots complaint about the EVO 10cc engine carb.

Do these small 4 stroke engines have the same sort of issue or are they pretty friendly to tune and reliable to run?

Also, would much modification required to the airframe to fit a Saito 14?

Thx. Oscar
airoscar is offline Find More Posts by airoscar
Old Jul 10, 2015, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by teckbot
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airoscar View Post
Hi, newbie to fuel powered airplanes here.

I been contemplating building a Meridian with gas engine, but have sen lots complaint about the EVO 10cc engine carb.

Do these small 4 stroke engines have the same sort of issue or are they pretty friendly to tune and reliable to run?

Also, would much modification required to the airframe to fit a Saito 14?

Thx. Oscar
Oscar, you will only hear from complaining people. The 10cc works just fine, and with the Meridian, it is a great combo.
teckbot is offline Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Jul 10, 2015, 02:56 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2014
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckbot View Post
Oscar, you will only hear from complaining people. The 10cc works just fine, and with the Meridian, it is a great combo.
That's true consider the number of these engines that are out there in service.

In regards to the nose gear, could someone link me to the "beefy" landing gears/upgrades?

Thanks. Oscar
Old Jul 10, 2015, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by teckbot
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airoscar View Post
That's true consider the number of these engines that are out there in service.

In regards to the nose gear, could someone link me to the "beefy" landing gears/upgrades?

Thanks. Oscar
If you can land an airplane reasonably well, you will land the Meridian like a pro. It is very forgiving, and the flaps work effectively. I think we ditched the nose wheel wheel pants and maybe put one size larger wheel, because of our grass field.

In any case, this is not a plane that requires overthinking or modifications. We had engine out (early times) situation about 40 feet up and half way down the runway, and still have time to glide to go around and perfect landing.

It's not the sexiest, fastest, most aerobatic plane out there. But it is a great fun flyer and a great transition plane on the way to bigger planes.
teckbot is offline Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Jul 10, 2015, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by seldredge
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
418 Posts

Thanks. Oscar[/QUOTE]

Fults has a strong landing gear that would work on the front. After my first few flights and a few bad landings I ordered one. The landing gear itself did not bend, but with a side-loaded touch down or hit on the nose, the metal linkage rod would bend slightly, causing the wheel to go out of alignment. This would require an equally bad landing in the other direction to recenter.

I learned to land the plane well enough quickly enough that I didn't install the Fults. During the build, however, I did reinforce the landing box area of the main gear with some epoxy and some carbon pieces. And I use Dubro 3-inch low bounce tires on the mains, but not the nose. I bent the main landing gear a few times learning, but did nothing to the plane. Plane will essentially land itself if you let it. Leave a little power on. A little wind helps too.

I did my Meridian with an E-Flite Power 60 motor and a 5300 mAh battery. Will go vertical out of sight, which I try not to do. I can fly 10-15 minutes, depending on prop, which is longer than I can focus usually.

Note: On page 22 of this thread, a larryoakley post, you'll see a nose strut with suspension on (in answer to my question like yours).
seldredge is online now Find More Posts by seldredge
Old Jul 10, 2015, 05:34 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2014
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldredge View Post

Thanks. Oscar
Fults has a strong landing gear that would work on the front. After my first few flights and a few bad landings I ordered one. The landing gear itself did not bend, but with a side-loaded touch down or hit on the nose, the metal linkage rod would bend slightly, causing the wheel to go out of alignment. This would require an equally bad landing in the other direction to recenter.

I learned to land the plane well enough quickly enough that I didn't install the Fults. During the build, however, I did reinforce the landing box area of the main gear with some epoxy and some carbon pieces. And I use Dubro 3-inch low bounce tires on the mains, but not the nose. I bent the main landing gear a few times learning, but did nothing to the plane. Plane will essentially land itself if you let it. Leave a little power on. A little wind helps too.

I did my Meridian with an E-Flite Power 60 motor and a 5300 mAh battery. Will go vertical out of sight, which I try not to do. I can fly 10-15 minutes, depending on prop, which is longer than I can focus usually.

Note: On page 22 of this thread, a larryoakley post, you'll see a nose strut with suspension on (in answer to my question like yours).[/QUOTE]

Could you tell me which model and size of Fults landing gear you ordered?

I don't have a plane so I can't really measure and tell.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by seldredge
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
418 Posts
I ordered Fults Dual Strut Nose Gear, Model RF36J. Adjustable length, heavy duty. I think I looked at the model just below it because it looked like it would work, but after measuring on my plane, I found it wouldn't. Too short on one one dimension.

Would be fairly easy to install as part of the build process because motor box/mounts wouldn't be in the way.
seldredge is online now Find More Posts by seldredge
Old Jul 10, 2015, 07:24 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2014
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldredge View Post
I ordered Fults Dual Strut Nose Gear, Model RF36J. Adjustable length, heavy duty. I think I looked at the model just below it because it looked like it would work, but after measuring on my plane, I found it wouldn't. Too short on one one dimension.

Would be fairly easy to install as part of the build process because motor box/mounts wouldn't be in the way.
Thanks! : ) i'll add this to my list of things to order.
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
13,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
The fg 17 is discontinued no?
Yes, but the FG-21 that replaced it uses the FG-17 crankcase. Total weight including muffler & ignition system is 31.2 oz vs. 27.2 oz for the FG-17. That's a 26% increase in displacement for only a 15% increase in weight.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker