to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2015, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by smittyboy
Joined Mar 2014
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Smith View Post
But still not DSMX compatible..
This thing is so easy to fly, you don't need a high-end, computerized Tx. You can fly it with the cheap RTF Tx that comes with it. It does the job, period. Yeah, it would be nice to be able to use your own Tx with it, but it is what it is. I have the first version of this plane, and I have absolutely no problems using the dinky red RTF Tx that it came with. Works for me. No need for dual rates or fine adjustments…it flies perfect out of the box.
smittyboy is offline Find More Posts by smittyboy
Old May 04, 2015, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by Nova - K
rcnova
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Jul 2009
349 Posts
Anyone else notice that the twin 180 brushed motors have a new code number and a higher price point.

I wonder are these motors are upgraded (like the pro180's) to carry the extra weight and drag of the camera??

If an upgrade, are they a drop in replacement for the Delta Ray??

HH - please respond!
Nova - K is offline Find More Posts by Nova - K
Old May 04, 2015, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by Ginohio
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova - K View Post
Anyone else notice that the twin 180 brushed motors have a new code number and a higher price point.

I wonder are these motors are upgraded (like the pro180's) to carry the extra weight and drag of the camera??

If an upgrade, are they a drop in replacement for the Delta Ray??

HH - please respond!
Not positive, but I do know the original motors were the same as the DR used so you would think they would work. I just walked by my old Stratos the other day when I was at my brothers and thought man I miss that plane. I gave it to my nephew who was getting bored with his Champ.
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old May 10, 2015, 10:49 PM
Joined Mar 2014
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
...I was at my brothers and thought man I miss that plane. I gave it to my nephew who was getting bored with his Champ.
The Stratos was an awesome plane. A big, double-engine plane for only $129.00. You cannot beat that at all! Now they have added FPV to it. Hey, you know what's really cool? HH just dropped the price on the Stratocam from $250 to $200. That's pretty cool! I might have to get one of these now.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by wilanz
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2013
772 Posts
I had someone come by the local field and leave a Firebird Stratos for me. A little beat up but with some TLC it's back to flying. This was my first plane 2 years ago but I passed it on to a friend once I moved to more advanced planes and a computer radio.

I was going to add some FPV gear on it but this planes reaction to loss of signal is cut throttle and keep on flying. So instead, I decided to make it into a night flyer and just started to load it with LEDs and a second battery. Boy was it heavy and nose heavy, too.

I tried moving batteries back to the landing gear because the recommended CG needed lots of power for landing to keep that nose up but no luck. today I changed the wiring around to run everything off a single battery and went with a smaller 950mah Nano-Tech battery. That helped a lot but it still drops that nose.

Just curious how far back people are flying this plane for their CG? I'm used to flying gliders and 3D planes that have some crazy tail heavy set ups to help with sensitivity of controls and maneuvers.

I don't think the led strips and wiring on the wings would be that much of an impact but I'm adding more lights to the fuse and tail today. that should bring the CG further back.

Overall weight of a plane that's too heavy can also feel like it's nose heavy but I had a Gopro mounted on this plane when I started and it seemed to do just fine. My goal is to have a little bit of gliding or atleast fly at 50% throttle nice and level. Right now it takes about 90% throttle and it drops the nose on the turns.

I took off the Virtual instructor and that helped with the trimming but I would like to put it back on for some easy night flight.
wilanz is offline Find More Posts by wilanz
Last edited by wilanz; May 22, 2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:45 PM
Joined Mar 2014
409 Posts
My Stratos was very nose heavy out of the box. I don't know what I was thinking, but I always had a tendency to place the battery all the way forward in the belly compartment, until it dawned on me one day that the reason it was nose heavy was because of the battery placement. Then I moved the battery back exactly 1/2" and the plane flew beautifully….no longer nose heavy. LOL, those LED's look awesome, but I can imagine they are throwing the flight characteristics of this plane way out of whack (not to mention your camera weight also).
Old May 24, 2015, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by wilanz
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2013
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
My Stratos was very nose heavy out of the box. I don't know what I was thinking, but I always had a tendency to place the battery all the way forward in the belly compartment, until it dawned on me one day that the reason it was nose heavy was because of the battery placement. Then I moved the battery back exactly 1/2" and the plane flew beautifully….no longer nose heavy. LOL, those LED's look awesome, but I can imagine they are throwing the flight characteristics of this plane way out of whack (not to mention your camera weight also).
I took the rubber nose off and that helped. No camera gear this one. Now it's flying a little closer to what I remember. It should still go back a little more but I'm running out of room to push the battery back where the landing gear is.

LEDs are just thin strips. It's been working nicer with the single battery for both flight and LEDs. At the end of the flight when you throttle up, the lights go down a little that's pretty funny.

This LED plane is a hit at my local flying spot. I had 4 cars pull over to watch the show.
wilanz is offline Find More Posts by wilanz
Old May 24, 2015, 08:36 PM
Joined Mar 2014
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilanz View Post
This LED plane is a hit at my local flying spot. I had 4 cars pull over to watch the show.
I can only imagine. I just got in from flying my Night Vapor over a field near a main thoroughfare. I'm sure it caught alot of eyes as drivers were going by…"Look, it's a UFO!!!" Unfortunately, the Night Vapor flies very slow, but looks really cool when you dive it in a black sky, and it picks up alot of speed. I can only imagine what your LED Stratos looks like flying through a night sky at almost full throttle. Very cool!