SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2015, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by King of Plane
Micro collector :+)
Joined May 2008
851 Posts
Assembling right along...

After cutting out the landing gear fairings, they fit almost perfectly. They fit even better after I adhered them to the fuselage with silicone adhesive as suggested in the assembly manual so I surmise that they will probably crack on the first landing. If the fairings would have fit a bit better I would've bonded them to the landing gear legs only (instead of the fuse) so that they would have floated as the gear flexed or bent as I guess will happen since the aluminum doesn't feel tempered.

The axles and axle hardware provided with the plane are of the poorest quality known to mankind. Both axles are bent. I tried to use that to my advantage by tightening them to the gear and pants with the bend of each axle providing some toe-in to the wheels. Each axle came in the hardware package already assembled with nut, washer, wooden washer and two wheel collars. On one of the bent axles, the tip was so badly deformed (mushroomed) that I had to use a dremel tool to grind the end enough to remove the wheel collars . Each axle was a different length.

I pinned three sides of the firewall 13 times using round wooden toothpicks and carpenters glue. I have added some triangle stock to the interior of the engine mounting box and will fortify the exterior on three sides as well.

The top of the engine box is a piece of 1/8" thick Micro-Lite plywood. I will glue it on after the engine has been mounted and assembly is nearly complete.
King of Plane is offline Find More Posts by King of Plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by nippaero
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Oct 2009
724 Posts
I just got #2 put together. I lost my original Eagle because of a battery failure in my transmitter. Lost all control and watched it pile in.

After being on backorder for several months at Horizon, Eagle #2 is ready for maiden!

A couple things I did differently this time. After many flights on #1 with the DLE20 the plane developed a lots of rattles. The wings started to become loose. So on this plane I used some silicon to glue the wing spars and wings in place. Both on the upper wings and lower wings. I never remove my wings so it is not a big deal and you could cut them loos if you need to. I silicone #1 prior to the last couple flights and it really quieted it down.
nippaero is online now Find More Posts by nippaero
Last edited by nippaero; Jul 17, 2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
To Infinity and beyond!
Joined Jun 2011
3,083 Posts
A beauty!
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:14 PM
Joined May 2008
851 Posts
What a bummer :-(

Did the accident occur at the Nampa field?

This will be my one and only Hangar9 model. Not that great really and I am definitely not please with the poorly written manual. If you follow directions using the firewall drilling template for the Saito 125, you just drilled holes in the wrong locations. Other measurements in the manual are off as well such as the hole for the throttle linkage tube.

Don't go drilling 5/32 holes for the screws to mount the cowling either. More like 5/64" but I caught that before drilling. Overall the supplied hardware is of marginal quality (especially the unuseable fuel tank stopper) and wrong dimensionally, or missing. Tail wheel assembly is a joke too

I wish they would have included in the manual a suggested location for the remote glow adapter harness that is suggested. The same for the fueling dot would be nice.

With all of that said, mine is close to competed.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
To Infinity and beyond!
Joined Jun 2011
3,083 Posts
My switch and remote adapter all all in the fuse. Accessible through the canopy, once removed.

I also noticed the drill size was off. I always double check mounting locations of engines before assuming the model is marked correctly or that the book is correct. Most times these books are proof read and finalized by someone that has never seen the model.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old Jul 17, 2015, 02:45 PM
Joined May 2008
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
My switch and remote adapter all all in the fuse. Accessible through the canopy, once removed.

I also noticed the drill size was off. I always double check mounting locations of engines before assuming the model is marked correctly or that the book is correct. Most times these books are proof read and finalized by someone that has never seen the model.
I figured. You would think that since there is a slick laser cut firewall drilling template included that the holes would be in the proper locations. Otherwise, who needs a laser cut firewall drilling template in order to drill holes where they are not needed?

I thought about all of the remote hookups being inside of the fuse but didn't want to have to put the canopy in place while the engine is running. Guess I will cave in and figure where to put the dot and glow connector inside, like you did.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:12 PM
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Oct 2009
724 Posts
Yep, it was at Nampa. It's a great flying plane. I ordered a replacement the day it went in. It was back ordered for a while.

I didn't use the templates with the DLE20RA. I lined them up manually and supplied my own hardware and blind nuts. I did notice the quality on my second Christen Eagle was not up to par with the first one. Minor differences here and there. The wood was not as good, paint was off in a few places etc.

On the cowl I didn't look at the manual and just used 4/40 blind nuts. See picture.

I thought the tail wheel was not the best setup as well but it has held up relly well with lots of landings.

All in all it's a great little plane. I hope this one flies as well as the other one.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:14 PM
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Oct 2009
724 Posts
I also have my fuel lines and switches inside the canopy. More pictures here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2019286
Old Jul 31, 2015, 01:14 AM
Find More Posts by kocher
Joined Apr 2007
34 Posts
I think H9 switched ALL of there factories to Vietnam. I REALLY hope the 3.1m Sukhoi SU-26MM isn't made over there as well.... It would wreck the plane....
kocher is offline Find More Posts by kocher
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:25 AM
Joined May 2008
851 Posts
Let's just say that the H9 Christen Eagle 2 that is made in Vietnam according to the label, doesn't impress me. Will/would I purchase a second one? Nope.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:38 AM
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Oct 2009
724 Posts
+1
#2 was not as good as the first one.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:52 AM
Joined May 2008
851 Posts
Let me know when you fly yours again. I met you a couple weeks ago when I came out to the field. Friend of Mark