Old Jan 01, 2015, 07:18 AM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Discussion
Thoughts about 10" FPV monitor from Banggood

Hi all,

Having been hunting around for the best way for me to start in FPV, I have bought banggood's 10" FPV monitor along with various other bits and pieces.
The monitor is this one http://www.banggood.com/10-Inch-IPS-...-p-954421.html

The monitor looks to be a really good spec with fantastic brightness, resolution etc. It has AV, HDMI and VGA inputs.

I have had a bit of fiddling time and have a few issues that I wanted to air with the hopes of someone else who has this monitor being able to help me with.

The first challenge is that I cannot get the menu to open unless I have a 'valid' picture for the chosen input. That is easy for HDMI as I just plugged in the Apple TV and the menu opened up. It became more tricky for the AV input. I have not got the vTX set up yet so I cannot transmit a picture therefore when I plug in the vRX (FR632), I cannot open the menu. Again, I solved this by plugging in a composite cable to my IPTV box and away we went.
Question: Is this normal on an FPV monitor (or any other monitor for that matter) to need a picture before you can open the menu?

The next part is where it get's really touchy.
There is a blue screen when no valid input is recognised. Initial thoughts are not good at this point considering it is sold as an FPV monitor and even states "Designed for FPV Application" in the product description.
Seeing as I am new to FPV, I am presuming that it is indeed designed correctly and it is just me not knowing how to use it.
Once I had got the AV menu visible, I found an item called 'Blue screen - on/off'. Bingo! ...or so I thought.
If I set it to 'off', when there is no valid signal, it gives a black screen and pops up a message box in the middle stating 'No signal' before powering down about 5 seconds later.
Again, I sincerely hope this is just me doing something wrong but I am slightly worried about it's suitability for FPV use.

I have had an email conversation ongoing with banggood's support staff for about a week now. I have been given some slightly less helpful advise such as 'try pressing the menu button' as well as being passed through a few different people but yesterday they confirmed that they are now speaking to their vendor to get their advice. This sounds promising...

Question: does anyone in RCGroupsland have this monitor and can you confirm that it does indeed work correctly for FPV showing static/snow on low signal?

Is it possible that it is only good for HDMI use?
Do I need to get my vTX set up and get a working picture before it will show me static?

Any help from the more experienced FPVers out there would be much appreciated. I am hoping I am just being stupid and not that I have bought a lemon.
If a video of this behaviour and menu options will help anyone to diagnose then just shout and I'll film one.

Thanks!
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2015, 09:48 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,969 Posts
10" IPS monitor

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...87&postcount=3
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Jan 01, 2015, 11:33 AM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Hiya,
Thanks for the thought however the 2 monitors in that thread are not the same item.
The original poster is showing a different model to the one I have bought (which is indeed the same one as you posted up in his thread)
Old Jan 24, 2015, 08:47 AM
Joined Mar 2014
108 Posts
[QUOTE=Siggy101;30346013]Hi all,

Having been hunting around for the best way for me to start in FPV, I have bought banggood's 10" FPV monitor along with various other bits and pieces.
The monitor is this one http://www.banggood.com/10-Inch-IPS-...-p-954421.html

The monitor looks to be a really good spec with fantastic brightness, resolution etc. It has AV, HDMI and VGA inputs.

I have had a bit of fiddling time and have a few issues that I wanted to air with the hopes of someone else who has this monitor being able to help me with.

The first challenge is that I cannot get the menu to open unless I have a 'valid' picture for the chosen input. That is easy for HDMI as I just plugged in the Apple TV and the menu opened up. It became more tricky for the AV input. I have not got the vTX set up yet so I cannot transmit a picture therefore when I plug in the vRX (FR632), I cannot open the menu. Again, I solved this by plugging in a composite cable to my IPTV box and away we went.
Question: Is this normal on an FPV monitor (or any other monitor for that matter) to need a picture before you can open the menu?

The next part is where it get's really touchy.
There is a blue screen when no valid input is recognised. Initial thoughts are not good at this point considering it is sold as an FPV monitor and even states "Designed for FPV Application" in the product description.
Seeing as I am new to FPV, I am presuming that it is indeed designed correctly and it is just me not knowing how to use it.
Once I had got the AV menu visible, I found an item called 'Blue screen - on/off'. Bingo! ...or so I thought.
If I set it to 'off', when there is no valid signal, it gives a black screen and pops up a message box in the middle stating 'No signal' before powering down about 5 seconds later.
Again, I sincerely hope this is just me doing something wrong but I am slightly worried about it's suitability for FPV use.

I have had an email conversation ongoing with banggood's support staff for about a week now. I have been given some slightly less helpful advise such as 'try pressing the menu button' as well as being passed through a few different people but yesterday they confirmed that they are now speaking to their vendor to get their advice. This sounds promising...

Question: does anyone in RCGroupsland have this monitor and can you confirm that it does indeed work correctly for FPV showing static/snow on low signal?

Is it possible that it is only good for HDMI use?
Do I need to get my vTX set up and get a working picture before it will show me static?

Any help from the more experienced FPVers out there would be much appreciated. I am hoping I am just being stupid and not that I have bought a lemon.
If a video of this behaviour and menu options will help anyone to diagnose then just shout and I'll film one.

Thanks![/QUHOTE]
Hello Siggy101 ! I am about to buy a 10'' monitor , same your one , but other vendor . How about blue screen meantime ? Any complaint till now ? Thank you
maccardiolog is online now Find More Posts by maccardiolog
Old Jan 24, 2015, 09:30 AM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Well, this monitor is not good. I have now received a full refund from Banggood.com as they cannot understand what a blue screen is and why we don't want it in FPV. They kept asking insane questions and then told me that the manufacturer is happy with this monitor.
I could not get the message through that the bluescreen is not ok for FPV and when you turn the bluescreen option in the menu to 'off', it simply replaces the bluescreen with a blackscreen. Also useless.

I would avoid this monitor (unless someone can show me that my one is faulty.
It's a real shame as the spec looks awesome.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:38 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
Well, this monitor is not good. I have now received a full refund from Banggood.com as they cannot understand what a blue screen is and why we don't want it in FPV. They kept asking insane questions and then told me that the manufacturer is happy with this monitor.
I could not get the message through that the bluescreen is not ok for FPV and when you turn the bluescreen option in the menu to 'off', it simply replaces the bluescreen with a blackscreen. Also useless.

I would avoid this monitor (unless someone can show me that my one is faulty.
It's a real shame as the spec looks awesome.
What happens when you have a valid signal and then lose it?
I have a 8" monitor that is bluescreen when you turn it on but shows static after it receives a valid picture and then loses the picture, works perfect.
The only thing I don't like is if it doesn't get a valid pic within 5~10 seconds it shuts off. It stays on forever as long as it see a pic first though.

Mark
mark hitchman is online now Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:46 PM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Mine does something similar. If it has no valid input at all, it turns off after a few seconds.
If it has a valid picture but the signal goes weak, it does not show static, it goes black (or blue, depending on the menu setting).
If I give it a valid signal and then turn off the tx, it will shut down after a few seconds.

I have not had a chance to really get to know how it operates in more detail as I am really worried about losing the quad by testing the monitor behaviour on low signal, something which inherently means I will be far away at the time.
Maybe I can switch back to a single rubber duckie antenna on both tx and one rx (leaving the other one off) and see if I can get a low signal situation when still within visible range.
Once it stops snowing outside, I will see if I can do some more testing.
For now, it's a dangerous bit of kit in my eyes.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:48 PM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
For the record, I have never seen static on the monitor. All I get is an occasional black screen flashing in and I then come roaring back to closer ranges or adjust the helical to get the quad into the center of the beam again.
This is only in 3 flights so it's early days.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:06 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,974 Posts
Quote:
For the record, I have never seen static on the monitor. All I get is an occasional black screen flashing in and I then come roaring back to closer ranges or adjust the helical to get the quad into the center of the beam again.
This is only in 3 flights so it's early days.
I think you made a good choice sending it back then, that would be hopeless. It is good they gave you a full refund, sucks that they advertise it as an FPV monitor though and don't even know what our requirements are.
mark hitchman is online now Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:11 PM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Yep, that was exactly my point.
It was a shame that I spend a total of 9 hours on chat with them over the course of almost 4 weeks plus about a dozen emails back and forth before they gave me the refund.
A very frustrating waste of my time and, of course, it means I didn't actually get a Christmas present this year. Awesome!

I did suggest multiple times that they should not be marketing it as an FPV monitor but they are still doing so. Beware guys.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 02:39 PM
Estonia
Joined Dec 2006
1 Posts
A BG customer review with big fat red warning would be appropriate (and earn you some double "points" in the proces ) May save someone else from the bad purchase.
If the manufacturer tried to blindly capitalize on the FPV wave without doing their homework first, maybe they start thinking what went wrong and actually fix the frmware, when the things don't sell.

OT: oh dear, my first post. Hello everyone
triibutu is offline Find More Posts by triibutu
Old Jan 24, 2015, 02:56 PM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by triibutu View Post
A BG customer review with big fat red warning would be appropriate (and earn you some double "points" in the proces ) May save someone else from the bad purchase.
If the manufacturer tried to blindly capitalize on the FPV wave without doing their homework first, maybe they start thinking what went wrong and actually fix the frmware, when the things don't sell.

OT: oh dear, my first post. Hello everyone
LOL, my sentiments exactly.
Unfortunately, we are contending with a company with questionable technology or ethics. I will state the facts, you decide which.

During the process of the discussion regarding the monitor and before any suggestion of a refund, I tried to leave a review. I got an error message stating that "only verified purchasers are able to leave a review" (or words to that effect).

I have tried multiple times since and cannot leave a review.

You be the judges.

I am not going to go on a banggood bashing spree as I have spent a lot of money with them in the past and most has been worth it. Let's just say I have learned that this monitor was a mistake.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:40 PM
Joined Mar 2014
108 Posts
Quote:
LOL, my sentiments exactly.
Unfortunately, we are contending with a company with questionable technology or ethics. I will state the facts, you decide which.

During the process of the discussion regarding the monitor and before any suggestion of a refund, I tried to leave a review. I got an error message stating that "only verified purchasers are able to leave a review" (or words to that effect).

I have tried multiple times since and cannot leave a review.

You be the judges.

I am not going to go on a banggood bashing spree as I have spent a lot of money with them in the past and most has been worth it. Let's just say I have learned that this monitor was a mistake.
Thank you , Siggy101 , a lot , in my name and maybe other potential buyers for this promising (theoretical ) monitor . I was about to buy this monitor after reading good review of one member of this forum , in ,,Xaircraft America Distributes 10" and 7" 5.8 GHZ Diversity Self Powered FPV Monitors '' . Maybe the vendor was different . Now , I will buy another model , maybe this one , with clear specification ,,no blue screen ,, !
http://www.surveilzone.com/10.1-inch...-ports-cm1125f
maccardiolog is online now Find More Posts by maccardiolog
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:50 PM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
If it helps, this one is not self-powered. By which I mean it does not have an internal battery. It is also not fitted with a receiver. It requires an external 5.8Ghz rx.
If you are looking at one that has a battery and/or rx inside then it's different.