Old Apr 18, 2013, 05:31 PM
The Legend continues
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined May 2009
532 Posts
Gallery
Rare Turbo ST - with a story

Wanted to share a couple of pictures of this Turbo ST,

.....which like so many of these great slopers comes with an interesting story. This little guy left Charlie's garage as a presheeted kit, which wasn't all that unusual at the time. It was however unusual for it to be one of a very few s6062 airfoil Turbo STs. Only a handful of these High Performance twisty wing Woodies were ever produced. The s6062 wing include zero built-in dihedral, for additional performance.

One of our local flier/builders took it home and put in the time to build and cover it. A problem surfaced quickly, during the build when the kit was found to contain two Left Wings. Not sure if the wings were mixed up between kits or an incorrect count during foam core cutting, but with a limited production run recovery was a problem. Making matters worse, Charlie was shutting down the business. Long story short, the Turbo was built with a left panel on the left and a left panel inverted on the right.

Fast forward to last year, when I responded to a RCG post for a challenged Turbo ST. I offered to buy back the ST, thinking I could cut a new s3021 right panel and get her in the air. No problem cutting a s3021 core, sheeting and covering the wing, until surprise....the right and left airfoil don't match. As well as the left wing showing no dihedral.

OK,....try that again...... this time with s6062 airfoil and zero wing dihedral. And Viola, a Rare and Classic Turbo ST can take it's rightful place in CR Aircraft history.
CR_Aircraft is offline Find More Posts by CR_Aircraft
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2013, 07:47 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,311 Posts
Cool story, thanks for sharing. And I loved my woody Turbo St, foam core with half sheeted wings and rib caps inbetween the partial sheeting, purchased the kit in 91 at Peagusus Hobbies in Montclair for $67.99
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:05 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,684 Posts
This is the Turbo ST I fly now. It was built by Ray Pili, in Jan of 08. One of 13 built at Orans build day. A close friend got it for me and I ve been flying ( and loving ) it ever since ! Such a sweet flyer and boy does it spin he he
Dick J is online now Find More Posts by Dick J
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:09 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Really cool to hear stories like this Chip! I'm sure it'll fly great.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,684 Posts
Hey Dave, next time at Browns Bluff if it isnt to windy we ll have to fly them together !!!! If you still have it !!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:30 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,311 Posts
^^ Dick, the dog stepped on a wing while it was together in the car, on the way up the hill, almost to the parking spot at Little Mounatin, I told my friend Kenny to remove the elctronics for me and he could have it, he happily did. I shouldnt have done that
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,684 Posts
Im sorry my friend Really enjoying mine !!!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:31 PM
The Legend continues
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined May 2009
532 Posts
Thanks guys,

As an added bonus, since I had an extra Left Wing, I cut an additional s6062 Right Panel to make another set of these wings for a Turbo FG. I'll change the wingtips and be good to go.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:36 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,642 Posts
Cool story Chip! I remember you showing me that one at Dave's one day. A 6062 Turbo ST with a glass fuse would be pretty sweet. I'll see you at the DK next weekend.
Tom
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:36 PM
The Legend continues
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined May 2009
532 Posts
Yeah Tom,

I had it at last year's CR Fest with it's 2 Left Wings. Now that it's correctly completed, it will be flown.

See you next weekend
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
west yorshire
Joined Dec 2006
14 Posts
very nise turbo st guys
paul044 is online now Find More Posts by paul044
Last edited by paul044; Yesterday at 10:41 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,030 Posts
Great to see a legend back in action. Thanks for the story!
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
The Legend continues
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined May 2009
532 Posts
Thanks guys,

This one is hard to miss when it's in the air, with that Emergency Sign yellow covering
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,330 Posts
Sounds like that plane is cursed. You might want to consider an exorcism
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM
The Legend continues
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined May 2009