HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:11 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Discussion
Godfather II

Just watched (again) one of my favourite films- Gdfather II. That's some fillum.

What's the deal with the food?

I can see that on a very basic level it's there to humanise the characters and to give us an empathy with them, as they sit down to eat like normal everyday people.

But there's something more to it than that. I thought I was picking up that each major interlude of violence was superceded by a food segment, but then the ending blew all that out of the water as the major characters were wasted with barely a ravioli being seen beforehand.

There's a message there and it's tantalisingly close, but I'm just not getting the last bit of it. Could it be that with the death of Mama Corleone the link between the food and the deaths was broken - though she's never really at the forefront of the film with regard to the food- or am I reading too much into it?

So what's the deal with the timing of the food scenes? They are a notable feature of the first film also.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Aug 29, 2006, 08:42 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Just watched (again) one of my favourite films- Gdfather II. That's some fillum.

What's the deal with the food?

I can see that on a very basic level it's there to humanise the characters and to give us an empathy with them, as they sit down to eat like normal everyday people.

But there's something more to it than that. I thought I was picking up that each major interlude of violence was superceded by a food segment, but then the ending blew all that out of the water as the major characters were wasted with barely a ravioli being seen beforehand.

There's a message there and it's tantalisingly close, but I'm just not getting the last bit of it. Could it be that with the death of Mama Corleone the link between the food and the deaths was broken - though she's never really at the forefront of the film with regard to the food- or am I reading too much into it?

So what's the deal with the timing of the food scenes? They are a notable feature of the first film also.
Dude, they're Italian.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Aug 29, 2006, 08:43 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,290 Posts
Ever had an Itallian girlfriend with a traditional family?
It's all about the food.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Aug 29, 2006, 08:48 PM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Sep 2004
507 Posts
Saturday Night Fever.......Travolta comes to the dinner table, drapped in a bed sheet to eat so as to not get any sauce on his outfit. Every body eats, everybody yells, everybody swings their hands.......

.....nobody sez nuttin 'bout the bed sheet.

Just kills me.
DougC is offline Find More Posts by DougC
Old Aug 29, 2006, 08:57 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,913 Posts
I don't see any real deep meaning with the timing of food oriented scenes in the film. Food plays a major role in the Italian culture and maybe even more so in the NY Italian-American culture. It is bound to show up in major scenes in any film that is so oriented no matter if it is violent or not.

In any film with violence there are warmer, calmer, more humanizing scenes to show the more complex nature of the characters and to allow the audience to settle down so that the violence can be shocking. Horror films do this as well. Filmmakers often seek to control the emotions of the audience in order to accentuate the violence and not overload them with it so as to desensitize them. In Italian oriented movies - a majority or large percentage of these calming scenes are naturally going to involve meals.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Aug 30, 2006, 07:21 AM
Vertical Wake
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
734 Posts
And don't forget about Goodfellas; the prison dinners (Paulie slicing garlic with a razor), eatting an early morning dinner with Tommy's mother after beating a made man to death, Henry cooking up dinner the night he gets busted......I don't think you could make a gangster movie without the food!
splatman is offline Find More Posts by splatman
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:09 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC
Saturday Night Fever.......Travolta comes to the dinner table, drapped in a bed sheet to eat so as to not get any sauce on his outfit. Every body eats, everybody yells, everybody swings their hands.......

.....nobody sez nuttin 'bout the bed sheet.

Just kills me.
...an then...an then hits my hair.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Aug 30, 2006 at 08:30 AM.