HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:09 PM
SKT
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2011
148 Posts
Discussion
No video via MAVLink OSD connected to APM?

Heya all I'm havin trouble getting video to pass through my MAVLink OSD. I have tried with a MinimOSD I have laying around and same result. I have read, read & read and feel I must be making a fundemental mistake to cause my issue.

I have everything on the bench half in the plane and there are a few soldering joints here and there that will make some quiver but essentially all is good and powering and I have the APM working on the bench fine with mode switching and stab functioning as expected. Im just not getting video via the MAVLink OSD.

It seems to power ok, green LED chatters away. RED led stays solid. I have checked my video gear is working fine as well as used it up until today via a Tiny OSD with no issues.

I have the video gear (ImmersionRC) powered from its own reg, power then from VTx to cam so all I am trying to do is pass the video through. I have a ground to the OSD board, I know it works as it functioined correctly via the Tiny OSD I have been running.

One thing I have noticed, on the wiki diagram for the MinimOSD I am running by there is actually no ground for the video, the only ground is for the pas through of power from the battery to the VTx then powering the cam, Fatshark gear which I have. The OSD is being powered from the APM. I have got a ground for my video as that was required for the Tiny. If I reset the OSD with the groun dremoved the green LED flashes constantly.

I have attached a few pics and would appreciate any assistance. Also, I have come off the UART0 header as I do not have a Telem cable that will go straight to the OSD without modifying it. THe actual Telem port header has been damaged in the delivery process and I am not exactly sure of the correct pin out of the header. AT this point the cable, which I could modify to go to the OSD, could go in the header either way.

Long story short, can anyone identify what I am doing wrong here please?
SKT is offline Find More Posts by SKT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Do u have TX to rx and rx to TX
mawright89 is offline Find More Posts by mawright89
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:15 PM
SKT
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawright89 View Post
Do u have TX to rx and rx to TX
Thx for the reply.

APM Tx - OSD Rx
OSD Tx - APM Rx

See attached pics please.
SKT is offline Find More Posts by SKT
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
39 Posts
same here...
the first time i connected the osd it worked.
only problem was i could not see the horizontal line.
now i connected everything again, everything the same and have no video just a black/gray screen
sjb_rc is offline Find More Posts by sjb_rc
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:24 PM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined May 2010
386 Posts
Do you have the 12v connected on the camera/tx side? I omitted it because I use a 5v camera and mine did not work until I did. It needs power on both sides. See wiki. Hope that this helps
buster232 is offline Find More Posts by buster232
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:35 AM
United Kingdom, England, Rochdale
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster232 View Post
Do you have the 12v connected on the camera/tx side? I omitted it because I use a 5v camera and mine did not work until I did. It needs power on both sides. See wiki. Hope that this helps
Helped me!! Thanks
Jefflorduk is offline Find More Posts by Jefflorduk
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Mar 2012
39 Posts
I burned mine because I used one battery for APM and video.
sjb_rc is offline Find More Posts by sjb_rc
Old Aug 07, 2014, 02:53 PM
Joined Jan 2013
156 Posts
Does it matter which ground pin I use? I am getting a TON of static through my MAVlink that is not there when by passed. I tried a new mavlink and have same problem.
DaFats is online now Find More Posts by DaFats
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:54 AM
F550 Flyer
United Kingdom, England, Royal Leamington Spa
Joined Nov 2013
199 Posts
Did you find a resolution as I'm having exactly the same problem trying to get things working with a 5v camera.

I've a 3s battery feed connected to the +/- of the video input side and my Skyzone mini VTX is connected to the +/- of the output side. When this is connected to the Crius FC I get a solid red light and flashing green light on the data side of the unit and a solid red light on the video side.

The 3-5v camera is picking up 5v from the I2C connector and has the yellow lead connected to the signal in pin, the signal out pin being connected to the VTX.

All I get when powered up is a black screen on my Black Pearl integrated receiver/monitor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Fatlab is offline Find More Posts by Fatlab
Old Sep 01, 2014, 06:00 PM
F550 Flyer
United Kingdom, England, Royal Leamington Spa
Joined Nov 2013
199 Posts
It turns out the switch settings for the SkyZone Mini VTX are not as documented. I thought I had the switches set for Band F, Channel 1 (1-3 on, 4-5 off). It turns out that Channel 1 is actually switches 1-3 in the on, off, off positions. I was getting a signal but it was off channel hence the black screen.

The problem I do have now is that I get a clear video feed without any overlay. Once the model is powered up I need to press the reset button on the Mavlink-OSD which then boots and shows the overlay as planned.
Fatlab is offline Find More Posts by Fatlab
Old Sep 03, 2014, 05:44 PM
Joined Aug 2014
11 Posts
All I'm getting is static, im using an sj4000, all works fine without the osd connected. But as soon as I plug the osd in I get static. Im using this with the 3dr radio so don't have the tx wire connected. Going mad here trying to figure this out! Does the apm power module provide enough power to power the apm, radio and osd?
jevans3d is offline Find More Posts by jevans3d
Last edited by jevans3d; Sep 03, 2014 at 06:31 PM.