HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:30 AM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
986 Posts
Discussion
Wemo minifan no spinner a big loss?

Hi guys I have just finished mounting a minifan in my 64mm F-15. I ran it up briefly on 3s to check the direction before fixing it in. Now it is glued in with the ali spinner I have checked it again with a full power run up on 4s. At about 1/3 throttle there is a slight vibration but is smooth through the rest of the range. I noticed the spinner does not look true when spinning slowly, and there is slight run out on the fixing screw head. Will I lose out much by leaving it off? It was very hard to push onto the rotor and is fitted ok as far as I can see.
Stuey is offline Find More Posts by Stuey
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:08 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,067 Posts
have you tried spinning the spinner 20* until that goes away.
D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:36 AM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
986 Posts
I would try that but the spinner is so difficult to seat it would take forever. I have had the same problem with fitting the spinner with one of my other minifans so left it off.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:40 AM
farmington hills mi.
Joined Sep 2006
828 Posts
This has been investigated by me and others. Expect a static thrust loss of 3 to 5%.
tom bacsanyi is offline Find More Posts by tom bacsanyi
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:32 AM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
986 Posts
I found a new spinner which I must have ordered seperately some time ago now. It looks to have a better quality machine finish on the inside, and the countersunk hole for the fixing screw is deeper meaning the screw fits in better. I fitted that one and gave it a run this morning and it was much better. Still a very slight vibration at 1/4 throttle, but completely smooth through the rest of the range. As it is awkward to remove to try turning it looking for complete perfection, I am happy to run it as is. Thanks for the input
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:52 AM
RAVI KOTHARI
Bombay,India
Joined Nov 2005
257 Posts
I am flying Mine since over a year with no spinner, flies perfect no thrust loss at all.
Mine slipped off and tore the duct, i then removed the EDF and reinstalled the same. not an iota of difference. (To me)
ravikoth is offline Find More Posts by ravikoth