HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:24 PM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Discussion
If i'm losing signal at a closer distance?

The champ is only a few weeks old, but I noticed that tonight i lost a ton of signal distance. I was on a tennis court flying and it would lose signal just past that area. Before i could get this thing going pretty darn far.

It lost response but i was able to glide it back towards me, then it picked up and was fine for another 10 minutes if i kept it in that area.

I'm using the stock radio and the stock AA batteries that came with it, i'm assuming the batteries are going dead, is that correct? No crashes or marks on the plane yet, a couple few ground bounces, but nothing that shows any marks ( in case another thought is something came loose in the guts)

thx
bm2
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:29 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Very likely the transmitter batteries as you said. Put some new AA's in there and do a range check.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
ok, is it better or worse to use AA rechargables vs regular AA batteries or does it matter?
bm2
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:48 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Rechargeable batteries should work fine I'd think.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,554 Posts
No matter. Rechargables will cost you less in the long run.

Just a thought, you said you were flying in a tennis court? Tennis courts usually have high metal fences all the way around them. Could be giving you signal problems.
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:49 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,018 Posts
To me, it doesn't matter. Just top them up after each day of flying if you use rechargables.
I use sanyo eneloop rechargables, as well as the duracell ones, in my dx6i. I can tell I don't get as much runtime out of them as I do with the alkalines, but I can use $10 rechargables a few hundred times vs once on a $5 set of alkalines.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,260 Posts
Those batteries do wear down pretty quick. I remember that from an E-Sky heli combo i bought. The servos started acting up when the tx batteries started getting low. It had an indicator on the tx.
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:19 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
The tennis court does have a huge metal fence and its the first time i flew inside of it, i'm usually just outside of it in the field. Should i stay away from that? i wanted to practice landing on a hard surface is why.

I have no clue if my TX makes any noise or anything when the battery is low, its the stock HZ Champ one.

thx again for the help,
bm2
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,000 Posts
The rechargeables do have a lot shorter life! I have a gazillion of them but went to regular alkalines for my long gone DX6i. Just was not worth the trouble. Anyone want to buy a gazillion, used rechargeables?
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
If the fence is between you and the plane then that might present a problem. As long as you have a direct line of sight between your antenna and the receiver then it should be fine, provided it's not too far away.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:37 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
I did have line of site, i'd say the fence is about 15 ft high, i was in the court. When i lost signal the plane was i'd say around 30 to 50 ft high and not even on the other end of the court

@Don, did you ever get my last PM? i still cant tell if it ever gets sent or not

bm2
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:40 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Then it's probably the batteries.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:43 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
ok, i'm going to change them out and see what happens from there. I'd bet that too, but i wasnt sure how rc planes act when that happens, thought it might be an all or nothing type scenario also

thx for the help
bm2
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:03 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2thirsty View Post
The tennis court does have a huge metal fence and its the first time i flew inside of it, i'm usually just outside of it in the field. Should i stay away from that? i wanted to practice landing on a hard surface is why.

I have no clue if my TX makes any noise or anything when the battery is low, its the stock HZ Champ one.

thx again for the help,
bm2
Yeah, that thing will act like a giant Faraday Cage.

Keep in mind though that signals can scatter, you may have experienced a conflict from your signal scatter and the rx getting freaked out.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:12 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
I had to google Faraday Cage lol, but now i understand. Weather is crap right now, but as soon as it lets up i'll be back up there with new batteries hoping that worked
bm2