SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:19 AM
VAPORIZED
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,274 Posts
Hi guysI donated my mqx to the nephews,I had to order a spare landing gear,
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-WL...3-p-47763.html

I thought these were suitable but the original bearings are to small,,what gives did i order the wrong landing gear?Thanks for any insight.
pappy1 is offline Find More Posts by pappy1
Last edited by pappy1; Jun 19, 2014 at 07:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:34 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
The part you ordered appears to be for a Walkera quad. It is a copy of the mQX and may look the same but there are no guarantees that it is 100% the same.

For plastic parts like that, far better to get genuine Eflite parts.... they are readily available online in the US as well as in most local hobby shops that carry Eflite products.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:59 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,159 Posts
I have MQX and V929. Parts look the same but never tried to mismatch any. Never had a reason. MQX parts are still easy to get as 180 QX is very similar. WL toys stuff I do not know.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jun 19, 2014, 07:37 AM
VAPORIZED
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,274 Posts
Thanks fella's. dankar04 any chance you can see if the bearings are the same size?
pappy1 is offline Find More Posts by pappy1
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:08 AM
Antisocial Curmudgeon
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2013
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy1 View Post
Thanks fella's. dankar04 any chance you can see if the bearings are the same size?
mQX bearings are 3x6x2mm, old V9x9/V2x2 bearings were the same size, but a few months back they changed to a 4mm shaft with larger bearings to go with. If you order WLToys bearings you will likely get the larger ones, but some still occasionally get the smaller ones...that seems rare now.

Search ebay for 3x6x2 bearing and you will find plenty, just be careful as you will also get hits for 2.5mm thick ones that won't work. Look for sealed or shielded, keeps grease in and dirt out, and reduces maintenance requirements.
Fyathyrio is offline Find More Posts by Fyathyrio
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Woodsturning's Picnic Frames...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 07:40 PM
Rapidly aging user
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined May 2012
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice!
Yup, it was the bearings. Must have gotten a spec of dirt in one of them, but the bearing oil did the trick. My MQX is back to normal. No more erratic behavior.
Thanks for all the advice that led me to the solution.
Mybad; Glad you got straightened-out.......to paraphrase Occam's razor : "The simplest answer is usually the correct one".
About once a year I pull my bearings & swish them around in a small jar w/ some Tri Flow.......cleans & coats them. (Did that once w/ my wife's dance roller skates & almost injured her.....so much faster!) Happy flying
Ralph
raw89 is online now Find More Posts by raw89
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:55 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raw89 View Post
Mybad; Glad you got straightened-out.......to paraphrase Occam's razor : "The simplest answer is usually the correct one".
About once a year I pull my bearings & swish them around in a small jar w/ some Tri Flow.......cleans & coats them. (Did that once w/ my wife's dance roller skates & almost injured her.....so much faster!) Happy flying
Ralph
Good Idea.

At first I thought it was the motor but then I recalled your post, disconnected it from the prop shaft, and found the prop still spun slowly. Glad I didn't replace the motor.

Thanks again.
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old Jun 23, 2014, 05:34 PM
I Always Fly Inverted
United States, NY
Joined Aug 2004
387 Posts
Hi all
Quick question for you guys, I haven't messed with my MQX in a long time. Got it out today and was looking it over. On the main board looking at it from the top with the quad facing front. Is there supposed to be one loose red wire? I have a wire in the right hand corner that's attached to the board but not connected to anything else..

I wanted to make sure its supposed to be like this before I try and power it up..

Thanks
Monstermanhbf is offline Find More Posts by Monstermanhbf
Old Jun 23, 2014, 06:03 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermanhbf View Post
Hi all

Quick question for you guys, I haven't messed with my MQX in a long time. Got it out today and was looking it over. On the main board looking at it from the top with the quad facing front. Is there supposed to be one loose red wire? I have a wire in the right hand corner that's attached to the board but not connected to anything else..

I wanted to make sure its supposed to be like this before I try and power it up..

Thanks

I think you will have figured this one out yourself before getting my answer, but just in case, it is the antenna wire for the 2.4 GHz DSM receiver portion of your Flight controller.

John

PS I am still enjoying some nice flights with my trusty old mQX, but noticed the right front sagging a bit on high throttle punches. I'll have to re-locate my stash of spare parts or maybe this would be a good time to try one of my "Benedikt" motors. Only problem is the pinion puller doesn't like those little shafts.
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jun 23, 2014, 06:15 PM
I Always Fly Inverted
United States, NY
Joined Aug 2004
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
I think you will have figured this one out yourself before getting my answer, but just in case, it is the antenna wire for the 2.4 GHz DSM receiver portion of your Flight controller.

John

PS I am still enjoying some nice flights with my trusty old mQX, but noticed the right front sagging a bit on high throttle punches. I'll have to re-locate my stash of spare parts or maybe this would be a good time to try one of my "Benedikt" motors. Only problem is the pinion puller doesn't like those little shafts.
I wasn't sure and am not in front of the quad to look at the board. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.. I am stuck in the house so the "trusty mqx" will have to do.. Or I would be out flying my DJI Phantom Vision 2

Thanks for the info..
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:46 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
In general, with -very- few exceptions, the only thing that happens when any given wire is disconnected isn't that's it'll blow but that something won't work. AAMOF the only reason I say very few exceptions is that I can't think of one at the moment but can't guarantee there aren't any exceptions.

If that wire is shiny looking orangish color not plastic looking, about an inch long, and it's around the same thickness of the very thin motor wires not thicker like the battery wires, then yes it's the antenna.

My antenna fell off at least a year ago and it still flies fine 100' out. I have a Futaba-Spektrum adapter module and it's not impossible that it puts out a stronger or maybe cleaner signal. I have no clue why it works. I have replacement wire but haven't bothered to put it in.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:45 PM
I Always Fly Inverted
United States, NY
Joined Aug 2004
387 Posts
Well I got home looked it over again and I figured you were right about the antenna deal so I plugged in a fresh battery and flew it for about an hour. Didn't notice any issues so I assume its the antenna like you said Flies just as it did when I packed it up last Fall. I just need to order a new body mine is beat..
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:37 PM
Rapidly aging user
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined May 2012
135 Posts
Quote:
Well I got home looked it over again and I figured you were right about the antenna deal so I plugged in a fresh battery and flew it for about an hour. Didn't notice any issues so I assume its the antenna like you said Flies just as it did when I packed it up last Fall. I just need to order a new body mine is beat..
Pleeez Monster.....no body........either make your own to mount an 808 or fly naked......much better in wind!...
Ralph
raw89 is online now Find More Posts by raw89
Old Jun 24, 2014, 05:04 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
My antenna fell off at least a year ago and it still flies fine 100' out. I have a Futaba-Spektrum adapter module and it's not impossible that it puts out a stronger or maybe cleaner signal. I have no clue why it works. I have replacement wire but haven't bothered to put it in.
It flies fine because the 2.4GHz system is pretty robust and because at 2.4GHz even a short piece of foil where the antenna attaches will act as a (poor) antenna.

Unlike the old 72MHz FM system, the 2.4GHz system will actually ignore mangled data and only act on data that arrives intact. If you are missing your antenna you are probably experiencing a lot more frame loss and holds than you think. But because the system ignores bad data and waits for the next valid frame, you might not notice it because if you are still getting SOME valid data, the effect is simply to slow the control response. Until you get none......

If you are flying a DX7S or higher, check and see if your mQX is sending telemetry. My newer one does. If so, you can check and see how reliable your RF connection is.

It may seem to work as-is, but you really should replace the antenna. You never know when you might lose it and have it fly into someone's face or shut down and drop into a tree.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Last edited by pgoelz; Jun 24, 2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 02:34 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2013
358 Posts
I bought 3 of the MQX's about a year ago & the first one has been relinquished to a parts donor due to being stuck in trees, crashed just about everywhere & flown heavily till it was not airworthy (a motor driver burned off the board). The second unit is still a daily flier, drawing repair parts from the first unit on an irregular basis now that my flying skills are better. The third unit is still NIB, flown once to make sure it was okay. Though small, this $50.00 per unit, has delivered many hours of fun & entertainment, not to mention improving flying skills.
I gave up on the body as it is basically a wind screen, plus added red/ orange front blades for visability!
FloridaAKM is offline Find More Posts by FloridaAKM