SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Sense there are so many Eploder pilots out there, pehaps one of them would be so kind as to cut off their " Hoerner tips" in the name of science, and report back to us on any findings? Maybe Shrederman??? It would really help this disscusion if we had actual studies done...
Well... I am a believer in winglets... However, the only model I ever "cut the tips of of" had one tip damaged beyond a simple repair. I made them in a great hurry and they were NOT my best effort. However, I had to tone down my elevator and aileron throws because of them. That Onyx JW would really slow down much better in thermals and was more stable. I have nothing to go on but personal flying of that model. It WAS a different, and better glider with the winglets.

That being said... If you guys want to get together and buy me a set of 3.5 X-1 St tips (white with orange tops, blue bottoms,) and send them... I'll cut the tips off and make a set of 5" RG-15 winglets and report back...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
Lots of interesting stuff happened at the 2003 Kirkheim F3B Worlds...
I kept the local newspaper article reporting the little thermal that came through the pit area the day before. When this thing started rattling the trees behind the pits, people started grabbing planes and scrambling. It picked up all manner of stuff including tents and a couple of planes. One of the tent frames was deposited about 100 yds away. Never a dull moment at the Worlds...

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:29 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
I kept the local newspaper article reporting the little thermal that came through the pit area the day before. When this thing started rattling the trees behind the pits, people started grabbing planes and scrambling. It picked up all manner of stuff including tents and a couple of planes. One of the tent frames was deposited about 100 yds away. Never a dull moment at the Worlds...

JT
Same thing happened at the F3J WC - in SA - ripped off two tent shelters and took out 2 or three planes and the tents blew 100 meters off the field - chaos

My team mates and I had moved our gear behind a van for wind protection and I had just ran through our tent to get to my planes and hold them down as the two beside it lifted off.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jan 2008
1,120 Posts
i saw this article last week that speaks of the benefits of adding winglets to a Cirrus single engine plane. It also explains some interesting things they did electronically to counter load increases that could be caused by the winglets in some flight conditions

http://www.tamarackaero.com/tamarack...n-cirrus-sr22/
David Cortina is offline Find More Posts by David Cortina
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:11 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,244 Posts
Does anyone know the "limits" of the Maxa 4 with the 11.5mm spar versus the 15mm windy spar? Is the 11.5mm spar what was used in all the earlier versions?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:37 PM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,350 Posts
Light 5m/s, windy 10m/s, are the do not exceed, from his web site.
Robert Burson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Burson
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:54 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,244 Posts
Thanks Robert!

Hang tight, the FedEx truck is on it's way!

jim
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Jan 2003
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson View Post
Light 5m/s, windy 10m/s, are the do not exceed, from his web site.
Where on the website is that - I could not find it...
Thanks - Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:26 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,262 Posts
Jim, it's on Vlady's website, not KC's.... here http://f3j.in.ua/en/maxa-family.html
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:51 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Jim, it's on Vlady's website, not KC's.... here http://f3j.in.ua/en/maxa-family.html

Lots of good info on his site. The next question is, can you get a windy center panel with light tips?

Thanks,
Jim
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,262 Posts
Hummm, mix & match? If you e-mail the question, please post your answer here
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:04 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
Lots of good info on his site. The next question is, can you get a windy center panel with light tips?

Thanks,
Jim
Not sure if the Maxa is the same as the Supra but the tip joiners on the Supra are the width of the spar so there are 10.5 mm and 13 mm wide joiners.

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:14 AM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,350 Posts
Barry said no to the mix and match, but maybe he has changed his mind. With short and long tips and windy and light you would have a lot of choices.
Robert Burson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Burson
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,262 Posts
Curious

I see a lot of measurements on the Maxa from various web sites but I can't find one w/ measurement from leading edge of wing to tip of nose? Anyone have that # ? Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:14 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97 View Post
Not sure if the Maxa is the same as the Supra but the tip joiners on the Supra are the width of the spar so there are 10.5 mm and 13 mm wide joiners.

Alan
Which Supra models use the wider joiners??

Thanks,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target