HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:45 AM
Australia, NSW, Dubbo
Joined Dec 2009
182 Posts
Discussion
How to set up a throttle in an electric glider.

I have a Futaba 10c radio (2.4gig) which is set up to control a glider with rudder, elevator, ailerons (separate servos) and air-brakes. I have a power pod fitted with an electric motor. Normally ch3 controlls the throttle but with the standard glider setup ch3 is designated to control airbrakes.
I have not been able to change this setup.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get throttle control on ch 3?

Thanks
Gregg
ggergk is offline Find More Posts by ggergk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:34 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
499 Posts
On my FF8 (8UPS) I've switched off airbrakes, and used the three position switch 'launch' mode to give me on/off airbrake with 'speed' set as a thermal mode flap setting. For camber, I've used the flap>ail link at 100% and set flaptrim to something like 10% to give me +-3mm travel on the trailing edges.
The other way would be to put the esc on a rotary control channel - 7 or 8 in my case, but I preferred to have a conventional throttle and switched brakes.
BrumBob is offline Find More Posts by BrumBob
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:49 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Most people use a switch for throttle, you only need on and off anyway.
No idea on the 10C but I assume you have switches you can assign to various functions. Spring-loaded is ideal but many use the gear switch..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:26 PM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
I would never put throttle on an on-off switch. Talk about massive battery drainage.. YIKES
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:55 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outngo View Post
I would never put throttle on an on-off switch. Talk about massive battery drainage.. YIKES
All my sailplanes are on the gear switch with on or off. There is no need for in between as the motor's main function is to get you to soaring altitude. As far as "massive battery drainage", in practice it is not a fact nor concern.
Using a 2200maH 25 C 3S in a 40 oz. 713 sq.in. sailplane with a 1300kv motor at 400 peak watts, I can get 10 climbouts to 200 meters with no problem before the LVCO (set to high cutout voltage) says no more.
If you are worried about sudden amp draw for some reason, you can programme your ESC for a soft start. But again I have seen nothing to warrant it. I get good life from my batteries too,so apparently the off/on operation is not doing any damage.
Once you have proportional control of spoilers or flaps on the throttle stick you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:13 PM
USA, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Mar 2005
359 Posts
I have mine on the timer switch. The radio is a Jr 9303
bosco49 is offline Find More Posts by bosco49
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:20 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Having it on a switch is easier on your esc...
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:02 AM
FAV
Ukraine
Joined May 2009
25 Posts
Change in places the returnable switch on transmitters for the left hand. The switch in two positions by pressing: an average - 50 % of capacity of the motor and final 100 %. We release a finger, the switch comes back also the motor is switched off.
FAV is offline Find More Posts by FAV
Last edited by FAV; Jun 27, 2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:04 AM
Australia, NSW, Dubbo
Joined Dec 2009
182 Posts
Woops, wingspan is 2500mm
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:16 AM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
The 10c programing should be similar to the 9c, the throttle(ch3) can be moved to any switch(usually switch F(trainer switch) the option to do that is in the switch assignments, while still retaining flap/butterfly on the left stick. Butterfly does not utilize ch3, but merely uses the stick when butterfly is enabled.

Quote:

Most ESC's still draw close to the same amperage at part throttle as at full throttle, the extra amps are merely turned to heat in the ESC vrs actually turning the motor, efficiency really drops off at part throttle.
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Last edited by talonxracer; Jun 27, 2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:52 PM
Mcminnville, Or USA
Joined Jul 2009
597 Posts
I had no idea you guys were using a switch for your motor.
I personally would not want to do that.
Full power and Off does not give you much flexibility.
I don't understand why you cant assign airbrakes on a switch and the motor on channel 3.
I don't own a 10C so I am not familiar with your tx.
I would rather have the airbrakes on a switch and the motor on a proportional throttle stick.
Their may be times you don't want the motor running full throttle.
I know I don't run my motor full throttle all the time.
By the way.........nice work on the scratch build Greg
zero2444 is offline Find More Posts by zero2444
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:00 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,928 Posts
Unless you are flying a hotliner, which is a power plane really, most glider flyers see the motor as a built-in launch system to get up to soaring altitude only. For that you don't want flexibility or proportional throttle control at all, you just want power "on" and "off". Full power means you get to limit the motor run to as short as possible to get up to altitude, so that you can shut the horrible, noisy thing off as soon as possible!
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:28 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Shows how little you know..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:43 AM
Australia, NSW, Dubbo
Joined Dec 2009
182 Posts
With some fiddling around I have transferred the airbrakes to a switch and the throttle is now in the generic position on CH3. As this stick also controls the rudder, I have set up the throttle so it only operates between the centre and 12 o'clock position. I would prefer to have a switch to engage the stick throttle so that you do not kick in the power when using the rudder.
At the moment the bird has not flown. I have a hefty motor and it might just be too powerful to use with a simple on-off switch.

I have much to learn, but for me the process of learning is very enjoyable.

....thanks zero2444 for your comment. There are several months and a heap of enjoyment sitting in that bird.

Gregg