HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:57 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1701 View Post
This is going to sound like a stupid question.

I purchased one of the motors recommended on pg1 of this thread (the AMMO 28-35-2200KV ). Upon arrival (friday) noticed that the motor shaft is not the normal round/threaded shaft like on most of my plane motors. It comes with that funky half-moon shape shaft that doesn't fit the bixler prop adapter.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious here with my prop installation or is the motor incorrect? (prop installation seems straight forward based on the vids/articles/my past experiences).
I presume by "halfmoon" you mean that it's a got a cut out in the shaft like this one
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...ent_Shaft.html
This is so that a grub screw has somewhere to locate to stop a prop adapter rotating.
You can use one like this
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...arehouse_.html
but you can also use a collet style as well
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:59 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverloadUT View Post
Today I broke my Sky Surfer such that one wing definitely needs to be fully replaced (aileron completely broke off and is lost). However, I cannot seem to find anyone selling any replacement wings at all!....
You could always make a replacement aileron out of foamboard/depron or even better, balsa
Andy
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:22 PM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverloadUT View Post
Today I broke my Sky Surfer such that one wing definitely needs to be fully replaced (aileron completely broke off and is lost).
If all you need is an aileron, cut one out of a piece of insulation or Dollar Tree foam & hinge it on.
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Feb 24, 2015, 04:58 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,729 Posts
For hinging use 3M's Blenderm tape available for medical supply outlets and hobby shops like HK
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...earch=blenderm
Can also be used if any of the live foam hinges are starting to fail.
Andy
Old Mar 08, 2015, 03:06 PM
Joined Jun 2013
14 Posts
Two questions:
1) What's the most practical all up weight for this plane?
2) What' the most powerful motor & prop combo that can be used? (I have 20amp hobby wing ESC)

I bought the RMRC Surfer 1500 version for FPV with a goal of 30+ minutes of flight time, but now that I've added a GoPro, Vector flight controller, and FPV gear + 5200mah multistar battery to I'm at 1150 grams! (The 5200 multistar is only 100g heavier than the 2200 nano tech, but I guess its still pretty aggressive)

It's balanced perfectly and it does fly, but the motor and puny stock prop doesn't seem to have enough power to climb. I also have a suspicion that the ESC is overheating and cutting out - I find that I'm at almost max throttle all the time. I guess I need to try the external ESC mount mod to see if it helps.

Trying to decide if I should mod this plane or get something bigger!
fahrvergnuugen is offline Find More Posts by fahrvergnuugen
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:53 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,487 Posts
deleted
changosurf is offline Find More Posts by changosurf
Last edited by changosurf; Mar 12, 2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:26 AM
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrvergnuugen View Post
Two questions:
1) What's the most practical all up weight for this plane?
2) What' the most powerful motor & prop combo that can be used? (I have 20amp hobby wing ESC)

I bought the RMRC Surfer 1500 version for FPV with a goal of 30+ minutes of flight time, but now that I've added a GoPro, Vector flight controller, and FPV gear + 5200mah multistar battery to I'm at 1150 grams! (The 5200 multistar is only 100g heavier than the 2200 nano tech, but I guess its still pretty aggressive)

It's balanced perfectly and it does fly, but the motor and puny stock prop doesn't seem to have enough power to climb. I also have a suspicion that the ESC is overheating and cutting out - I find that I'm at almost max throttle all the time. I guess I need to try the external ESC mount mod to see if it helps.

Trying to decide if I should mod this plane or get something bigger!
My Skysurfer V3 has an AUW of around 850 grams with 3s 2200 Turnigy battery, 2200kv Turnigy Aerodrive motor, APC 6x4E prop, 40A ESC & OrangeRx 6 ch rx. No FPV gear, purely LOS.

Firstly, if you're going for FPV then 'powerful' power train isn't what you need or what you should even be thinking of. To maximize flight time & hence the range of FPV flights, you should be looking to optimize the whole system by making it more efficient. You do that by going for a lower kv motor spinning a larger prop. 3s batteries are normally what's used depending on your system, even 4s is acceptable but with limitations.

Secondly, ditch the 20A ESC and get a 40A one minimum. Better to have some headroom even if you're not pulling that many amps. I use a 40A Hobbywing Skywalker with zero problems.

Thirdly, the stock prop isn't very good and is too small at 5" dia. Get a 6" at least but not too high in pitch. If you have an adjustable motor mount, a 7", 8" or 9" prop is more ideal.
daniirwan is offline Find More Posts by daniirwan