HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2004, 12:43 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Lipo explosion on video

Notr sure what the deal here is but this shows you how bad things can get if you don't follow the instructions. Very impressive. This was on Subcommitee.

I also build Subs.

Here's the post and the video. Don't do this at home! LOL

steve

I've seen a number of questions here regarding the use op LiPoly batteries in subs. I've always advised against them but now I can show you guys why.
Movie is 9mb and takes quite a while to reach the climax but worth the wait. You would not want this to happen in your expensive boats.
http://ludwigdanninger.de/Videos/Son...Explosion2.mpg

EJK
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2004, 01:48 AM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
no need for depthcharges!
Synwpn is offline Find More Posts by Synwpn
Old Nov 04, 2004, 01:56 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synwpn
no need for depthcharges!
LOL!!!!!!!
Old Nov 04, 2004, 02:07 AM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
hmmm, single cell 340 pack put into a small ok ok i better stop thinking.....
Synwpn is offline Find More Posts by Synwpn
Old Nov 04, 2004, 02:09 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
You nut!!!!!!
Old Nov 04, 2004, 02:28 AM
London, England
Joined Sep 2004
62 Posts
Hmm.. Not good. exactly why i've got no cobalt dioxide lithiums.

can't wait to try 2nd generation Saphion lithiums, no fire potential! well very very very little.

Alex
alexpEDF is offline Find More Posts by alexpEDF
Old Nov 04, 2004, 11:00 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,327 Posts
Steve, sounds like water & li-poly don't mix, nor for that matter U-boots & Pb-acids & etc.......

I remember sticking a NiCd cell into my trouser pocket once. You guessed it,

Don't mean to make light of this subject. Li-Pos in airplanes can also be a disaster if there is a sudden downpour. Safety shud always be foremost in ones mind when playing with fire!

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Nov 04, 2004, 11:30 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,612 Posts
Someone else has money (and lipolys to burn)

Like the old joke: "Don't be a Dick!"

Proper and safe use of any technology means following the proper procedures.

Same went for nicads when they first came out (dating myself there), and when turbines went into ducted fan models.

Dropping the equivalent of several hours (or a day or two) of gross wages into a battery pack is going to make me very cautious about abusing the suckers.

Abuse a dog long enough, and you'll get bit! (Robert Heinlein as Lazarus Long)
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Nov 04, 2004, 11:39 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by U812
Notr sure what the deal here is but this shows you how bad things can get if you don't follow the instructions. Very impressive. This was on Subcommitee.
Reading the responses on the Subcommittee thread, it's explained that the video came from a German modeler who intentionally overcharged his LIPO pack because he wanted to see (and presumably capture on video) a LIPO explosion.

While the video is dramatic, it doesn't show anything we haven't known for a while --if you overcharge a LIPO it will burst with smoke and flame.

So, the only thing this video really shows is that you shouldn't intentionally overcharge your LIPO while it's in your sub.

I can't see a reason why LIPOs couldn't be used in a sub.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Last edited by DanSavage; Nov 04, 2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2004, 12:19 PM
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,862 Posts
Some food for thought,

One item I found interesting is the amount of smoke that is released prior to the pack exploding. Seems to me that a good strategy would be a large enclosure around a charging container, that contains a smoke detector wired to some type of "Power Disconnect" devise for the charger.

Even though the shut off will be late, and I'm guessin ghte pack will explode anyway, you would alteast be alerted to a pending fire.

Perhaps a plastic bag filled with sand could be suspended over the charging container whihc would burst from the flames, and release its cargo of sand
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 04, 2004, 01:23 PM
Suspended Account
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
1,836 Posts
nice video steve.

see ya at the fun fly.

Gene
kriptonic is offline Find More Posts by kriptonic
Old Nov 04, 2004, 02:45 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
I'm just going to use nimhs on this one.

Steve
Old Nov 04, 2004, 03:52 PM
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2000
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjetpilot
Some food for thought,

One item I found interesting is the amount of smoke that is released prior to the pack exploding. Seems to me that a good strategy would be a large enclosure around a charging container, that contains a smoke detector wired to some type of "Power Disconnect" devise for the charger.

Even though the shut off will be late, and I'm guessin ghte pack will explode anyway, you would alteast be alerted to a pending fire.

Perhaps a plastic bag filled with sand could be suspended over the charging container whihc would burst from the flames, and release its cargo of sand
There may be a problem with this idea, I remember hearing about 'themal runaway' or something that suggested once the lipo gets to the stage of letting off smoke like that, even if you take the power supply away, it will continue to heat up and explode.

Still worth a try maybe

Grant
schoey is offline Find More Posts by schoey
Old Nov 04, 2004, 03:57 PM
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2000
549 Posts
Oops sorry Rcjetpilot, I just replyed after reading the first bit of your post, then I read the rest. So yes I agree with you, is what I'm saying The cut off would be a bit late.

Grant
schoey is offline Find More Posts by schoey
Old Nov 04, 2004, 04:08 PM
Clear Lake City Metroport, Texas, United States
Joined Aug 2004
301 Posts
I can't help but think that using the thermal probe that is available on some chargers would stop this kind of thing, even if you accidentally set the charger for the wrong kind of battery.
pimmer is offline Find More Posts by pimmer